Would you shoot an eleven year old soldier?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by imaplanck., Nov 2, 2006.

?

see post.

1. It's either him or me and I wouldn't hesitate to kill him.

78.9%
  2. I have to admit if an 11 year old with an AK47 jumped out at me I would probably hesitate

21.1%
  1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Bullets know neither language, race, creed, or age. They rend flesh and bone all the same. A child soldier attempting to shoot me must die.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

well put

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What if he's carrying a toy gun and you mistakenly shoot him dead?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

well what if he is not and you thinking its a toy gun, is shot dead?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Can you really shoot a kid draqon?

9. draqon Banned Banned

look added to the fact...that I never hurt a soul (physically) in my entire life, I never wanted to hurt anyone, once the thoughts came, I repelled them.

But...the thing is...not to be in such situation were a kid jumps out of nowhere and is shooting. If it is war...and there is a kid...I will be in that war too...and that kid will know he is in that war too...so my psychological mindset will change to protect myself and kill. In the end, those who survive, are the ones that pass their genes.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its easy enough to do in the movies, but a paralysing decision in real life.

I doubt any of those who answered yes have actually shot a kid (I may be wrong) or been in a situation where they were required to do so. Its not something we are conditioned to do as human beings. Our instinct is to protect the young not shoot them dead.

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

samcdkey

That is known as a case of shit happens.

12. draqon Banned Banned

we, unlike you, are men. Our main purpose in life is to pass our genes to next generation. Humans are so sociably amiable...because it improves their chances of survival. In the end survival of the fittest is the system that rules all.

Here are we...here are wars and peace...we are part of this world...we are capable of everything if needed.

13. Roman Banned Banned

Triggers are notoriously easy to pull.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Probably for the kid, too. So both would have time to contact sciforums and post a poll for us all to tell them what to do and how to do it.

It's much easier than you think, Sam ...and much easier than people here try to make it out to be. There have been many peope who have hesitated in such situations .....but they ain't no longer with us to tell their side of the story!

Baron Max

15. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Wow Im surprized at such a good point! The thing is about(at a rough estimate) 100% of us here have never been in that actual situation and may find that they probably aren't the bad ass mother fucker they thought they were on a sciforums internet poll when a four foot kid who has just got over nappy rash points a gun at them.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Have you ever shot at a kid Baron?

Or anyone else, for that matter?

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You'd really like to know that, wouldn't you, Sam? But I ain't gonna' tell you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Figures you'd be all bluster

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Four times I've been in a situation where I've had to pull a gun on someone. Fortunately, none were children. Also as fortunate, I didn't have to squeeze the trigger. My father taught us how to shoot, but just as important he taught us when to shoot. Could I shoot an eleven year old who was going to shoot me? Yes. How would I feel about it afterwards? Assuming I had the luxury of resting and sorting it out, pretty rotten, but I would also be even more pissed at whoever sent a child into combat to begin with.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Baron: And you've been in wars and combat to know this so well?

No I have never been in a war, but I live in Cambodia a country where I am surrounded by old UNTAC soldiers, vietnam vets, blue caps, deminers, war jorunalists, UN and NGO workers in short people who have worked in Rwanda, Nepal and other countries (including this one) where child soldiers are an issue.

Baron: They do? And you know this ...how? I'd also warn you that in years passed, rocks were considered a lethal weapon! So instead of you focusing on the guns and the Israelis, perhaps you should first question the rock-throwing as a form of combat.

Yes they have and do and you would have to be in a news blackout not to know this. The question here is how an adult soldier would react towards a child soldier is it not?

Baron: Do you have any evidence that such acts were other than isolated incidents by only a very, very few warped individuals? I'd also caution you to consider that many of the Viet Cong were children with guns and explosives! Please don't be so one-sided in this discussion. If a US soldier fired on a gun-wielding child, he most probably thought he was in grave danger.

Again Baron you would have to have a completely ahistorical memory not to know that Vietnam soldiers were confronted by child soldiers...and women. I am not on a side since the thread doesn't give information concerning soldiers from any particular country. I am giving examples. African soldiers like Israeli soldiers often come across children with guns but they are accustomed and so more desensitized, less likely to 'hesitate'. Vietnam vets and blue caps on the other hand often suffered from the memory of having to confront and kill a woman or child. PTSD ya know.

Baron: And you know all this ...how?

I have stated above how I know. I also read their available literature.

Baron: You've been in combat and experienced this, and know this? Or are you doing what many people do ...make assumptions about which you know nothing? Opinions are fine, but they should be based on some tangible, valid evidence or actual experiences. Stating ones opinion as if it were a fact is wrong.

Baron I know people who come through here on their way back from Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan etc. I am not sitting with the locals in Texas getting all my info from Fox news!

21. Sputnik Banned Banned

If it was in a war - and a kid enemysoldier jumped out with a kalashnikov - I would shoot him immediately .....

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

SamCDKey:

I'd feel awful if I found out the child was using a toy gun, but in that situation, I would recognize that I had little reason to suspect it was one. Would I feel upset? Yes, but not crushingly so. The child would have, after all, called this upon himself.

ANd yes, I'd rather kill a child than be killed myself even if there was a chance the child was just kidding. I'd rather be mistaken and shoot and it was a toy gun, than be mistaken and not shoot and it turns out to be a real one.

23. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

(Yet another quite that I can't recall the origin of.)