Would you sell out?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Betrayer0fHope, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Would you drop your ideals and beliefs and become some raging TV host where you fight against everything you love and trust in, knowingly convincing thousands if not millions to believe your illogical line of reasoning and false beliefs just for a few hundred thousand a year?

Would you do it? Would you regret it?

I would, of course (if you have any idea who I am), but I would deeply regret it later. I try so hard to help people live a better life and unknowingly misleading people hurts me enough as it is. I don't know if I could live with myself without complete abandonment of my real self for a few days to forgive myself. But you gotta make money somehow.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You don't need to give up your ideals just to earn money, there's way that you can work and still be well within your values. All you need do is find the right job that is available , there's millions of them out there. Why must anyone give up what the believe in order to survive in this world? As an example you don't need to practice your religious views if you are a dentist, surgeon or optometrist to those who you are helping ...do you?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh hell no.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I just pictured a bunch of execs walking up to me and asking if I wanted to host "America's Funniest Home Videos".

Boy..... that's a difficult one, but I could see myself selling out.

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

The problem with selling out, or become a raging tv-host, is that it's a big decision that you need to talk to your mommy and daddy about first, so that they are prepared for people tenting on their lawn.

9. superstring01 Moderator

I have a price. EVERYBODY has a price. It's the currency and the quantity of currency that is in dispute.

~String

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't have a price.

11. superstring01 Moderator

Sure you do.

As I said, it's the coin (or currency) that matters.

What if I held a gun to your head? Your loved ones' heads? You'd buckle. That would be the "coin".

The offer of--say--5 billion dollars, to go on TV and rant about something you believe in, would change any mind. And you'd be a fool to refuse. The biggest reason is all the good you could do afterwards.

People make a lot of bold, ideological statements which sound good, but when circumstances arise, few people refuse a savory offer.

~String

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Greed is a dangerous thing. It makes people do crazy stuff.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

to make me say, denounce my faith, blaspheme, lie? no i wouldn't buckle.

i thought the op meant getting paid to lie...to rant about something you really didn't believe in.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i would. i'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult or painful, but if jesus can do it, so can i.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Obviously the attributed quote still holds some value. You can have any belief you wish which might make you a fool. To suggest you can convert the rest of the world to also be foolish, just proves how much of a fool you are.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  15. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Of course. I am a modern man.

16. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I like this.

What an odd take on what currency really means by the way. How fun.

17. woowoo Registered Senior Member

18. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

Yep, I would have no issue with doing that. To loosely quote the rap artist and music producer Too $hort: I don't actually believe half the sh*t I rap about. A TV persona does not have to represent you. You can preach against abortion all day and donate money to Planned Parenthood by night or vice versa depending on the time of your show.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't sell out.

If I was an actor, I'd have no objection to portraying characters whose values are different than my own for the sake of "art". But I couldn't be a political cheerleader for views I disliked. I wouldn't even make an overtly political movie if I didn't support the message.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So you would take on a roll of a child molester that gets away with abusing children and killing them? :shrug: