Would you date someone with views completely different from you?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by chris4355, May 5, 2009.

?

Should chris4355 give it a chance?

1. No. Those differences are bound to come back fuck things up later.

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Yes. Prove the world that different people can be tolerant with each other.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Yes, there obviously really is no way to tell the outcome, just like in any other relationship.

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. I think people can be compatible no matter what their core beliefs.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. It depends on how long you can hold off on sex...

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Why do you keep making relationship threads?

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

So I met this girl who is really awesome... and by awesome I mean, we get a along very well, shes nice, smart, funny and just really down to earth.

Heres the problem: She is very religious, somewhat conservative and has a very "faithful" approach towards all things in life.

Unlike me, where I am more of a liberal, atheist.

Well, I had a great time with her, even when we talked about our differences we were able to understand each other.

Should I keep going with it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

She will not accept you in the end because of her religious ideology, on the other hand the girl I fancy is married =P Both situations suck badly.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Go for it. It may not work but it might not work with someone who shared similar beliefs. You both like each other and that 's a great thing to have in common.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

that is a risk. maybe she'll grow to appreciate you more than her religion though. if you really want to keep her, find some quotes from the bible (assuming she's christian) which say 'thou shalt not worry about your bf's spirituality' or something to that effect.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No I would not, I think how you feel about the world is an important part of compatibility. I wouldn't have someone who was very rightwing or old fashioned, we would argue non stop.

9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

It seems to be working for you so far.

10. Aerika Registered Senior Member

It's awfully vague. But if you were to marry and have children, it's very likely you are going to have some serious confrontations. If I was single, I wouldn't date anyone that was conservative ( insert any faith system here ) but it depends on what you are wanting out of the relationship.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I guess it also depends on how much your differences affect the relationship.

If you understand each other, that doesn't seem like a big problem.

12. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

they fight a lot in 'the notebook'.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think dating others that are totally different from you will only lead to many problems in the long term relationship. The short term relationship could be a very exciting time though if you aren't arguing over everything. :itold:

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What's the notebook?

15. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

its god's manual on bfs and gfs. where the bible teaches about god, the notebook teaches about relationships.

16. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

It's just a film. Christ. I've seen better movies on relationships.

17. Aerika Registered Senior Member

It's not just a film ;P. It's one of my favorite movies !!..Though I agree with your statement.

They didn't fight much in the film. And the first fight, the Ferris Wheel scene, is actually very cute.

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The odds agans any marrage workin out are perty bad... an id guess the odds of a fundy an atheist havin a good marrage to be slim to none... but im a atheist an i marryed a fundy an that was almos 40 years ago an it worked out grate for us... but i thank what you shud do is... partake in proffesonal councelin an thoroughly go over the issues that are bound to arise from such a relatonship an see if you can work out beforhand how you will handle those thangs... an then see how gooda deal it still souns to ya.!!!

Try an keep in mind... you 2 bein hotter than pepper sprouts for each other will clowd you'r decision makin... i know thats what haapened to us but we was very "lucky" how thangs fell into place.!!!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  19. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Depends on how different you are and if you're accepting of each other or insistant on changing each other. Nobody is perfect so you'll always have differences you don't like, you just have to make sure they're the kind you can live with.

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I say take it as far as you can. Having different beliefs does not mean that you can't be great partners. If you know certain topics cause arguments or tension, then don't talk about them, (unless you have too of course). But do you really need daily conversations about abortion or evolution or politics in general? My boyfriend and I are very different as far as our religious beliefs go, I know his hot issues and he knows mine so we keep those opinions to ourselves, so we never fight about it. There's no need too.

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Dont ignore those "hot issues"... beter to find out now rather than later whether you can com to agreement on 'em or not.!!!

22. John99 Banned Banned

but an atheist can be a fundy too so maybe they can appreciate that.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

"All thangs are posible.!!!"

~God

Edit:::
    This was my voat.!!!

Yes, there obviously really is no way to tell the outcome, just like in any other relationship.