Would you buy gas from BP stations?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Jun 1, 2010.

?

Would you buy gas from BP?

1. Yes, no problem.

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. No, I would rather look for another company.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Don't know, I am indifferent on the issue.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Yes, but only if they do the right thing in the future.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. superstring01 Moderator

To who? This thread is about the Gulf not the "whole wide world", if it was, then YES other issues would be more important.

But we aren't discussing those things.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. milkweed Valued Senior Member

No. But that has been my position for several years now.

I cannot remember exactly what news it was that turned me away from BP. BP was not even in this area when I became alarmed at their practices and decided if they came around here, I would avoid them.

I think it was this issue (pre-settlement) might have been brought up during the refinery explosion news coverage:

Colombian pipeline

In July 2006, a group of Colombian farmers won a multi million pound settlement from BP after the British oil and gas company was accused of benefiting from a regime of terror carried out by Colombian government paramilitaries to protect a 450-mile (720 km) pipeline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=BP

Anyways, something in the news coverage of BP turned me away from them, shortly before their gas stations began popping up in my area.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Unless the oil industry is acting to price fix, it is not likely that an expense which affects one company and perhaps a few of its contractors will cause an overall increase in commodity prices.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So you idiot, all discussion should cease to exist, except israil????

If you don't like the topic, don't participate. And for fuck's sake, finally learn to type because your posts are really incomprehensible....

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

What if the US just goes ahead and seizes their assets until the bill's been paid?

*CptBork Anticipates someone reminding him that private companies do a better job of profit management and oil spilling than government ever could, as first proven by Isaac Newton*

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Credit Suise came up with new estimates today, 37 billion in total costs.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/cs...3-years-free-cash-flow-will-require-10-rise-g

15-23 billion in clean-up costs and 14 billion in claims. But how much of that is covered by insurance, I don't know. I don't know what assumptions were baked into those numbers.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Considering the amount of wells drilled or capped each year, it's actually surprising that accidents of this nature don't occur more often.

As for my commenting on the pricing, while BP originally was only listed as the 19th largest oil company, it's crisis will obviously jeopardise an already unsettled market in the United Kingdom. If any of you were probably contemplating on coming to the 2012 Olympics, you might well reconsider because it's likely that the pricing of goods and services in the country are going to climb sky high.

Incidentally the costs of oil will escalate because obviously when one company has an accident of this scale, it's looked at from a legal perspective and queried "What could have been done to prevent it". This means rewriting legal grey areas and increasing new safety measures in the industry as a whole. So it doesn't just cost BP, it will cost all oil companies that intend to do business in the US region.

(This is also a sneaky way of slapping on clandestine charges for safety measures that might or might not exist.)

11. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Boycott BP and buy from which other oil company? BTW, Have the governments identified all the oil rigs currently in operation that lack safety mechanisms (such as the BP one)? Who owns those and what are they doing RIGHT NOW about it?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Let me ask you who would boycott BP, what gas stations would you boycott? If you only boycotted BP labeled stations you might still be attending a BP gas station. Would your boycott extend to oil purchases? Which oil labels are owned by BP? You will not find the BP name on a quart of oil. But BP still provides oil (for engines) for sale to retail customers.

13. soullust Registered Senior Member

Most oil is pooled, so you are buying from them either directly or indirectly no matter where you buy your fuel from.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why wouldn't I?

The oil spill was bad, but spills happen. Just like shuttle explosions happen, oil fires happen, forest fires happen, car accidents happen, and et cetera.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

All BP gas stations are independantly owned and operated. The people who own the stations buy the gas from BP then sell it to everyone. To boycott the stations would only hurt the individual owners not BP as many think it would.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I guess you would play golf with OJ too.

There was criminal negligence for profit. There is accident, and there is accident...

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then we ought to remove the liability caps on corporations and all of the protectionist policies of the government. Corporations should be more free, but they should also hold more legal responsibility. If BP was truly negligent, then it ought to be sued for negligence; but do not think that somehow, piling on more regulations will save you. It won't. Regulations are, at the end of the day, nothing more than silly decrees issued down by idealistic politicians that see paperwork as leading to results.

19. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

There's no need for regulations if you just boycott the BP... so your point is moot.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That was exactly my point: regulations won't solve anything. The power is there in the market, in the hands of the consumers.

21. soullust Registered Senior Member

22. superstring01 Moderator

BP is totally self insured. Sucks to be them.

~String

23. soullust Registered Senior Member

That's Pocket change for them, they make 1000 times that every 20 years when a new peak oil scam comes out.