Would you believe that

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by arauca, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arauca Banned Banned

The Indo-Asian News Service reported Saturday that a Russian scientist has published what he claims is evidence of life on Venus, Earth’s nearest neighbor in the direction of the sun.

Leonid Ksanfomaliti, an astronomer based at the Space Research Institute of Russia’s Academy of Sciences, analyzed photographs taken by a Russian landing probe during a 1982 during a mission to explore the heavily acid-clouded planet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Somehow i think if this was accurate then it would be plasted all over every news service in the world

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Saw this elsewhere. I googled for the original pictures and found this site, which does a nice job of covering the Soviet probes work, as well as some versions of the scans in different perspective.
    http://www.mentallandscape.com/C_CatalogVenus.htm

Given that some of the cleaned up photos used the merging of several passes to make up for lost transmission, I would say that if there was something moving around, someone would have pointed that out a long time ago. I have yet to see any pictures from him pointing out discrepancies.

Hoagland would have beaten him to it if there was anything remotely lifelike to work with.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

It is strange after 30 years they looked back on pictures and wala yes there is life on Venus

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

the same was said about some of the results radioed back from a mars lander.
    they called it "strange chemistry".

9. GASHOLE Registered Senior Member

10. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No, I don't believe it, there is no credible evidence presented in any of the links available, none of the links or videos show anything even remotely life like, or relevant.

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Better headline: Dissatisfied with his income, Russian astronomer goes чудак, to garner attention.

Possible forthcoming offshoot stemming from Ksanfomaliti's "discovery" (i.e., one чудак conclusion budding another):

"Apparently Venusians are less phobic about being scrutinized by Earth than Martians, given the failure rate regarding probes sent to the latter."

Or:

"Due to the high temperature, technology has eluded the history of silicon-based life on Venus, in stark contrast to the subterranean civilization that meticulously conceals itself on the Red Planet."

13. arauca Banned Banned

How could you not believe , the pictures are a true evidence

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

According to NASA, the half-circle components are camera lens covers that popped off the Venera probes after they landed. As for why they appear to be in different places in the two Venera-13 photos, "Venera-13 had two cameras, one in front and one in back. The one image shows the front camera lens cap and the other shows the rear camera lens cap, not one lens cap that moved," said Ted Stryk, a photo editor who reprocesses and enhances many NASA and Soviet space program images.

In fact, the half-circle objects are famous for being lens caps, because the one that popped off Venera-14's camera landed exactly where a spring-loaded arm was meant to touch the Venusian surface in order to measure its compressibility. The lander ended up measuring properties of the cap.

The other photograph highlighted by Ksanfomaliti, which supposedly shows a scorpion-like creature, contains a blur. "The features that Ksanfomaliti shows are nothing more than processed noise, at best, in some particularly bad versions of the images. They are not in the original data," Stryk said.

Or, as Hill put it, the image is an example of "letting your mind see patterns in low-resolution data that simply aren't real."

http://www.space.com/14324-life-venus-russian-claim-debunked.html

15. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

In case this needs further debunking:

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003338/

A good read, but this one point seems to bury this topic:

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Because when I look at the pictures I don't see any changes (duh).

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

helicopter can self destruct sitting on the ground?

Watch this video to see it happening:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...cs-without-even-leaving-ground-224458312.html

Link down loaded slowly for me - you may want to pause video to let it download, then return to watch the complete self destruction. Text states: "... it all happened without the helicopter even leaving the ground. The shocking destruction of the plane was caused by a phenomenon called ground resonance. ..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.