Would You Agree?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Bowser, Mar 1, 2018.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I agree with Bateson, that a coral reef is more complex than a human being - in all senses of the term.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

It is a tough question because I believe it is impossible for us to know everything about the universe and compare different phenomena or life forms to one another based on what we can know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Speakpigeon Registered Senior Member

I would guess it's the idea that everything in a chaos is potentially influencing everything else, making evolution unpredictable and, yes, complex . I suspect that the normally working human brain flirts with chaos but there must be some minimal trade-off whereby some level of order would be necessary for survival. Which would indeed makes humans less complex than chaos.

On the other hand, humans seem to be at least potentially capable of spreading to the whole universe, given enough time to do it. Would that more likely increase the overall complexity of the universe or decrease it? We did it on Earth and it's at least arguable that overall complexity decreased due to the disparition of most of wildlife but the universe may be essentially empty of life so a spreading humanity would increase its overall complexity.

Brute chaos surely couldn't do that on its own.
    EB

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Earth is a more multifarious entity and ongoing set of elaborate affairs / systems than the human being. But the strength of the former's epistemological complexity proceeds not much further than the latter, its social organizations, and its collective output. There's also the circularity of that bipedal primate being the only known source where such conceptions and evaluations can even be generated. Which is to say, "what gets the crown for cognitive sophistication" is rigged beforehand by whatever can concoct such questions to begin with (plus the contingent circumstance of no competitors for it). But the human is subsumed under the blue planet as a whole when it comes to miscellaneous intricacy ranging from structural arrangements, patterns, to types of activity.

~

Last edited: May 26, 2018