Would most people take COVID19 more seriously if they thought it was a bioweapon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Mar 21, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, I guess the alternative is so much better. /sarcasm

It seems irresponsible to blame everything that goes wrong in the world, on the US. I find that to be a lazy way of viewing why other countries are failing their people.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I used to work on a oil rig, in the middle of Timor Sea, 100 personal, including myself as the Medic, on a 4 week on 4 week off roster

Since the crew came from a wide number of places in Australia and a few from overseas (America) on return to the rig it took a few days before our population developed a new herd immunity

I am wondering how the system is working now. In one sense it would be a great idea if the current 100 were to remain on the rig

The alternative would be to evacuate the rig, leaving perhaps a tiny maintenance crew, such as we had moving the rig from Australia to the Mediterranean

For that tow, which took 6 weeks our crew was 25

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Alternative to what??
    You can't choose intelligently between a bad thing that's already happened and an unknown thing that might happen, might make it better or might make it worse, or might cause you an unknown later problem.

Do you think so?
    In the case of Iran, it's quite responsible and not at all 'lazy', since US foreign policy/interference is exactly what brought about the present political situation.
    https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/01/world/us-iran-conflict-timeline-trnd/

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oh, I meant it’s lazy thinking for us to blame the US for all failings of other countries. Yes, the US plays a role but it’s almost reckless to believe that the US is solely responsible.

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

In the context of the present topic, you accuse Iran, specifically, of not trusting unspecified help from the trump administration in particular. That's the opposite of reckless: cautious.

In the bigger generality, 1. Who said solely? and 2. So what?
    Americans think, say, tweet, broadcast, publish and act on whatever harebrained idea their president yells at them.
    That's reckless.
    They blame other countries for many things they themselves, have done.
    That's irresponsible.
    They instantly forget whatever their governments have done to bring about or contribute to current situations and then choose not to find out.
    That's purblind. And lazy.
    So, Pot, which Kettle you calling blackest?

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I never posted that I believe Iran doesn't trust ...you brought up the trust issue, Jeeves. Please don't post half truths and expect me to argue against them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you want to believe that the US is responsible for all that is wrong in the world...have at it. I simply disagree.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Not the world. Just America and its foreign policy.

I asked what help was being offered by Pompeo to Iran. Would you accept 'help' from a sworn enemy? Yes, trust is relevant to the issue that you did bring up.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'd agree that we need improvement to that end.

13. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Zombie survival mode on. Stay safe everyone.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The difference between the United States and Australia/UK:

When people are scared in the United States, they buy guns.
    When people are scared in Australia or the UK, they buy toilet paper.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That description is what idiots in each country do.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Which description? They buy guns, or they buy toilet paper? Both? Neither

Christ--maybe you should just stick with posting emojis.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The description included both actions. Both are the actions of idiots.

You seem to be in a meltdown. Anger at the world is typically the response of the ignorant.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

The guns, Trump can take credit for - he demands to be appreciated for all kinds of things he didn't do.
    The toilet paper shortage fear, if I recall, is down to Johnny Carson.

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Your standard response is to characterize other posters as being angry, jealous, or as ranting. Kinda seems like you're the one with the problem.

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Many people in the US don’t own guns. I’ve never owned a gun so don’t believe the exaggerations of the media that suggest everyone in America is “clinging to their guns.”

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Maybe not, but there is a demonstrable spike in gun and ammunition sales every time something happens that anyone can characterize as a crisis - whether it's a real event, or invented by GOP propagandists.
    Maybe that's not because Americans like their guns so much more than other peoples, but because firearms are so much less regulated in the US than other countries.
    An outsider might think that the gun laws are lax because Americans like their guns more than their neighbours.
    What those outsiders fail to take into account is how little Americans like their neighbours.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Again, you are speaking for all Americans, and I know many including myself, who don’t own a gun. Far from every American is a white supremacist, gun toting cowboy/girl, yanno.

Think the latest stat I’ve read is that 46% of American civilians own a gun. So many people seem to talk about American gun ownership as if it were at 90%. Facts matter, although 46% is still too high, in my opinion.

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I am not speaking for Americans, only about them.
    Those are known categories of stupid, yes; there are several more. Each one represents a large enough segment of American society to register on international graphs.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/us-gun-statistics/index.html
    I am well aware of the huge rifts in US social/political/regional factions (hence the reference to not liking you neighbour - or neibor, or however its spelled/spelt) but that doesn't change the global perception of America, nor the outcome in terms of gun violence. That segment of the US population is decisive in the actions, and fate, of the nation as a whole.
    Whether you identify with it or not, that's the front your country presents to the world.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020