Would a significant BMI cause the minimum wage to increase over fifteen per hour?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Dennis Tate, Apr 16, 2021.

?

Is an unconditional income supplement the best way to boost minimum wage?

1. No.... trickle down economics is best... give the supplement to big banks and big business.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes... an unconditional income supplement that needed little bureaucracy would increase employment

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No... this would cause inflation.... haven't you heard of the Weimar Republic, or Zimbabwe or....

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. This is an intriguing idea and I will research this further?????

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I am of the belief that the best way to boost the economy of the USA and Canada is through an unconditional basic minimum income supplement of five hundred dollars per Canadian per month for life to all thirty seven point six million Canadian citizens and permanent residents and.............. perhaps we Canadians should discuss the possibility of us financing this in the USA as something of an attempt to begin to pay American taxpayers back for their having carried the heavy end of financing of policing the world since 1941.

We could use the term "Northern Pesos" to make this sound less scary than it actually would be.

An online reader of one of my writings told me to look up Economist Milton Friedman and it was his article in Playboy magazine from the 1960's that gave me the final pieces of the puzzle to put this together.

I have read a fascinating prediction by the gifted Dr. Cindy Jacobs that the USA and Canadian dollars will go to par value....... and us Canadians financing this for all Americans as well as for Canadians would be like a logical Opening Gambit to make that happen.

Our reasoning could be that IF THE USA HAD DELAYED... entering WWII for another six months tens of thousands of Canadians would have died, (very possibly my own dad who was in the Canadian Merchant Marine and the Canadian Navy pretty well full time from 1939 to 1945, (he lied about his actual age to get into the navy first because he had been born in 1921 if I remember correctly). So... us Canadians financing a win - win - win - win - win - win proposal for all thirty seven million Canadians and all three hundred and sixty million Americans does actually have some logic in it.

America and WW2: when, how and why did the US get involved, and why they didn’t enter sooner?
    https://www.historyextra.com/period...w-america-entered-ww2-pearl-harbor-roosevelt/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Here is me a couple of years ago attempting to take an idea from the political left and word it in a way that would catch the attention of the political right.

Would a Basic Minimum Income dramatically reduce abortions?

I am thinking that the answer to this question is yes!

Canadian Abortion Statistics
    Five hundred dollars per Canadian per month, can this work?

I am advocating the usage of the Bank of Canada that is owned by all Canadians to finance giving five hundred dollars per month to all thirty seven million Canadians.

It will of course mean much more to poorer Canadians than to millionaires........
    but it could be surprising how many stay at home wives with cheap and stingy millionaire husbands who control the purse strings of the home may find this extra five hundred very helpful indeed.

I suspect that well over eighty percent of of Canadians will spend this money reasonably well and:
    1. enrol their kids in more after school programs.....
    2. begin to purchase a higher percentage of organic produce vs the cheap GMO stuff
    3. purchase a newer car, SUV or half ton truck
    4. do renovations to their homes
    5. hire landscapers to do certain projects on their properties
    6. pay down their debt loads, especially the higher interest ones
    7. buy a new home rather than renting
    8. buy a cottage outside the city so that they can get away for weekends
    9. many will choose to move to rural Canada in order to escape relatively hectic city life
    10. eat at nice restaurants more often

11. I also believe that a significant percentage of Canadian women who would have chosen to have an abortion under the present economic situation will CHOOSE to keep their babies as opposed to having an abortion!

I suspect that less than ten percent of Canadians will attempt to live off this five hundred dollars / month and simply use it to drink or smoke more.
    To whatever degree this happens the worst cases where these Canadians put themselves and others in danger this can be dealt with by issuing food stamps vs a monthly check.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Financing this "for" all 350 million Americans? If you are just going to finance this "in" the U.S., no thanks. Finance it yourself. If you are going to give all 350 million Americans 500/month for live...go ahead. Thanks.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Good point............. and the Credit Unions of Canada and the USA may be the logical place to do this......
    due to the way that Credit Unions operate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Coady

My home was sixty six point six kms away from my last work place in the town of Antigonish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonish_Movement

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I've got a BMI of 29.0 and it has done nothing to benefit my wages.

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

corporate's can borrow money off the government to get printed for them at what interest rate ?
    but working class cant ?
    why not ?

who is paying the cost of the borrowing ?
    working class taxes !

just like obesity costs of bad diet and bad life style choices who force poor working class to subsidize them via private medical insurance

irony ?

add food waste in the usa

basic minimum wage should be easily comparable to any government employee or politicians salary
    all the mechanisms are there
    unemployment benefits
    sickness benefit welfare
    charity organizations with decades of financial documented history to show costs

the people who are working against a BMI/W are those scam artists scamming the system

Dennis Tate likes this.
  10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

that higher interest
    is capitalist profit margin for the elite
    those capitalist elite control capitalist politics

do you think they are about to give away some of their income stream ?

NO !
    not helpful
    they need to save that money while the government increases corporate tax and capital gains tax to pay for public transport which is run on green energy

Dennis Tate likes this.
  11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The problem with that is that governments love bureaucracy. Justin Trudeau can say, "We're working very hard..." and as long as the paperwork is shuffling from desk to desk in an endless circle, he doesn't have to actually do anything.

I'm in favor of a guaranteed annual income in principal but if it was passed, the first thing the government would do is create a new bureaucracy to administer it.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  12. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I think that you just got to the heart and core of this whole question!

One of the reasons why central banking policy is not much more helpful to the ordinary person is that we humans are terribly divided over every major question facing us....... but we might begin to come to general agreement on an unconditional B.M.I. all across the board to all citizens and all legal residents. That is a win - win - win - win - win initiative that we might just come to agreement on.