Worthless college majors

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Syzygys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

A very good and funny list of 10 worthless college majors:

http://www.holytaco.com/2008/06/03/the-10-most-worthless-college-majors/

10. Art history
    9. Philosophy (You won't have a job, but you'll know why.)
    8. American studies
    7. Music therapy
    6. Communications
    5. Dance
    4. English lit
    3. Latin
    2. Film
    1. Religion

Let's throw in Sociology and African American studies and we have a list for your child to avoid in college...Also sports managements for athletes...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DeepThought Banned Banned

Don't forget 'Women's Studies'.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm an Art Major, and make a good living. It almost doesn't matter what your major is. A degree doesn't so much prove you learned a particular thing as prove you can learn something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Art major wasn't on the list and 1 personal experience doesn't make a statistics...

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What majors are useful? I thought my major was really useful, but guess I was wrong.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Cooking. Even if you don't get employed, you might cook fine for yourself...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you have accounting you can do your own taxes...

To be a doctor or nurse can be quite useful too...

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I went to college for a bit to be a chef.....When I figured out I would have to work every friggen holiday because that is the busiest time, I wasn't so interested anymore.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I never thought of cooking... Being a doctor is great, but you'll be paying school loans until your kids start getting them. I'll be starting medical school this fall and I'm already afraid of how much more debt I'm going to be in. Makes we want to cry :bawl:

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We offer high-quality instruction on spiritual and metaphysical subjects, including an Astrology Course, a Tarot Course and a Handwriting Analysis Course. The courses are written by dedicated experts who spent years researching and practicing their art and skill. You can be sure the lessons you receive are giving you the best information and instruction available.

If you want to learn but don't have the time to go to classes week after week, or classes in these subjects are simply not available in your area, Metastudies Institute is the answer.

Learn in your own home, at your own pace, and still have a personal instructor available to help. We strive for personal interaction with our students. The author of the course reviews your work and gives you advice, answering questions, and evaluating your lessons.

http://www.metastudies.com/

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Art history was a requirement for my degree. My professor insisted that the "starving artist" myth was just that. He drove a Mercedes and had a big house, only lazy artists are poor.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Some weird courses are good to take just for fun though. I will never take philosophy again though, I couldn't imagine a greater waste of time and effort.

15. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

The Uk is miles ahead of the US when it comes to the most utterly stupid and pointless degree courses - in fact I'd bet we are world leaders - here's a few stunners:

• Outdoor adventure with philosophy, at Marjon, the College of St Mark and St John in Plymouth

Of course they go together so well!!...."yeah but, like, WHY are we abseiling down this cliff"

• Science: fiction and culture, at the University of Glamorgan

researching invaluable questions and answers like why did klingons look different in TOS?
    If you simply write 42 on your exam papers do you automatically get a first?

• Equestrian psychology, at the Welsh College of Horticulture in Mold, Flintshire

Now zen Mr Ed, Lie down on ze couch and tell me about your muzzer

• Fashion buying, at Manchester Metropolitan University

Sample exam question: "It is imposiible to have too many shoes or handbags, discuss"

• Golf management, at UHI Millennium Institute, based in Inverness

Includes modules on nasty garish sweaters

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/education/taxpayers'-alliance-and-worthless-courses-20070821541/

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

At my school I took bicycle touring and archery.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

One could make the point that taking engineering in the US is pointless, because it can be outsourced so easily...

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Useless to whom ?

One of my grandfathers, a college graduate and a lifelong and quite successful dairy farmer, said the most useful subject he ever took was Latin.

He meant that sincerely. He said it taught him to think.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

My grandfather, who never took Latin although he was a successful goatfarmer said, when he applied common sense, it always helped him out. Also necessity was his biggest teacher...

There you go, if we are at personal experiences. Now you tell me, what you can use Latin TODAY?? By the way, I got your point, did you get mine?

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Latin is useful to take if you plan on traveling or reading other types romantic languages. I can't speak french or spanish, but when I was pretty fluent in latin I could read a little french, italian, and spanish. So I guess it has its uses, but majoring in it is probably a waste of time.

21. draqon Banned Banned

I wanted to study that...in a close more delicate sensual way...I got to major in it...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would rather study something I was interested in even if it was useless than something that was useful but I was not interested in.

23. John99 Banned Banned

That is very true Spider. Bravo.

I should add to that: being able to sit there every day, year after year. It shows commitment.