World War III?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tim840, Jun 19, 2008.

1. tim840 Registered Senior Member

For several years I have followed the developments of east Asian diplomacy, and it's becoming more and more apparent that a rivalry is fast emerging, pitting America, Japan, and Taiwan against China, Russia, and possibly the Koreas. Is war inevitable? How soon? And who will win? What would Europe do? How about Australia? And the rest of Asia?

Or does anyone else have any theories about possible WWIII scenarios?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

China and U.S. are so dependent on each other that if the war happens it will be China and U.S. on one side....

Let us review this in 20 years....until then there are serious climate change issues that everyone will be too busy....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Archaea and cyanobacteria will spontaneously evolve into complex hydrocarbon chains before China and the US ever go to war.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Magic eight ball says "Ask again later"

8. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Apparently neither of you knows about the complex diplomatic state in Asia. Taiwan, which professes to be a nation independent of communist China, is under constant threat of invasion by neighborhood bully China. Since the Nationalist Chinese governmnet fled to Taiwan in 1949, the communist mainland has claimed that the island is a province of China, and if Beijing interprets that Taiwan is moving too close to independence, they will invade. Currently about 1,000 missiles are lined up along the Chinese coast pointed at Taiwan. China has been enhancing its military capabilities for the past decade, and Japan and China have developed a rivalry similiar to that of U.K. and Germany pre-WWI. Japan and America will likey join in the fray if China ever attacks Taiwan, which is highly probable in the near future. Also, the Chinese mainland government has always been an opponent of America (read The China Threat by Bill Gertz). Here's a news article about the situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/international/asia/11taiwan.html

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah... So? Did you notice that for decades there was this thing called the cold war in which Russian and the USA was completely destine, assured, garenteed to blow each other and the world up in atomic fire? Did it happen? NO! Because MAD worked. China is no different from the russian, they are not Islam terrorists, they don't want to die! If China attacks Taiwan and the USA defends taiwan no matter what it could end the world, therefor china will sit there with their dicks hanging out menacing but nothing more. China need to keep threatening to invade Taiwan because it needs its mainland people to keep quite, if china gives up on taiwan it will be a sign to the sleeping revolters to wank up and overthrow the obviously weak government, so china needs to keep looking strong. But china can't attack Taiwan without pissing off the USA, that could end really badly, so china will merely continue to make threating postures but nothing more, until a opening appears or until china suffer a economic depression that causes the now growing middle class to revolt and BOOM, total anarchy! Fuck taiwan, the concern will be keeping the mainland together!

10. kmguru Staff Member

My prediction is: China is going to eatup Taiwan in December 2012.

Let us see if it comes true!

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

lets see if anyone remembers that shit in four years!

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And it's also apparent that you haven't kept up with the news much since that article was published nearly three years ago.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Since that time, China's focus has been on two main arenas - building it's industrial base and exporting. The U.S. and Europe are by far it's largest markets and it will do NOTHING - including it's relationship with Taiwan - to endanger those markets. Without the U.S. buying all the exports it does, China's growth would be GREATLY stymied.

Perhaps keeping yourself a bit more informed on current situations would prevent your making claims like this.

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

America and china butt heads some, but neither of them are stupid enough to go to war with the other one. At least not in the foreseeable future. They're too dependant on each other.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It depends on who's in the White House. If it's another trigger-happy Texas cowboy like LBJ and the Bushes, there's no telling what might happen. But I don't think Americans will be ready for another war anytime soon. I don't know anybody who would send his children or grandchildren to war to defend Taiwan. We have much more affection for Tibet and we just sat here meekly and let it go. No way are we going to feel a greater obligation to Taiwan.

We fell for the Bush family's propaganda about Saddam and Iraq, twice, and we've learned our lesson. I think it would be really hard for another slimeball president to trick us into a war of lies. The next time we're attacked we'll know it's the Saudis and we'll just nuke the bastards. Nobody will be able to convince us it was someone else.
    I feel confident that with every passing decade another world war becomes increasingly unlikely. The first two were barely a generation apart, but it's been three generations since the second one and most of the nations of the world have been rather careful not to start a third.

The U.S. has been pretty stupid lately but hopefully that will change with the administration. Our enemies are all little despotic Mideastern countries who probably couldn't even take down Israel if they all worked together, which they're congenitally incapable of doing.

There's no way either China or the U.S. is going to actually provoke the other into a shooting war, and we've got nobody else to worry about. Maybe Russia, but would they really want to get back into the mode of putting all their GDP into military expenditures instead of raising their standard of living? A U.S.-Russia war would bomb us both back into the Stone Age and half the world with it. Both sides know that and neither wants it. After all, these are the two countries that invented M.A.D. and I'm pretty sure it still works.

15. kmguru Staff Member

Iraq war is different. 30 years ago they nationalized our interest and it was pay back time.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Funny, nobody considered Iraq our enemy when they were fighting Iran. We sent them millions of dollars worth of weapons. You don't usually do that to a country that's your enemy.

The first Gulf War was merely the Bush family's hereditary bad judgment. Going to war in order to protect one Arab dictatorship from another one.

Like, if Russia and China got into a war and there were a Texan in the White House, America would take sides instead of just letting them have it out.

17. kmguru Staff Member

Exxon (then standard oil), Total, and Shell gave them millions? Wow...I did not know that....

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. The CIA. We armed Saddam during those seven years he fought Iran only to a stalemate with the world's fourth-largest army. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all that.

19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

We didn't consider them our friend either, we supplied them arms because it served the best interest of our country at the time.

Plus it was pay back to Iran for the Embassy Hostage incident.

No the first Gulf War was bad hereditary judgement by Saddam, when he invaded Kuwait for their oil to pay his war debt.

The World came down on Saddam.

He threatened the free flow of oil to the world market, and the stability of the price at that time

.No, I doubt that, we would just wait it out, till we decided what course would be in our best interest.

My thoughts on the whole thing would be to wait until they had beat the shit out of each other and then move in and clean up on both.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I don't know how much the opinion of the people counts for anything in China, but I've been told that the Chinese love Americans and hate the Russians.

21. kmguru Staff Member

Some Americans do not like the Chinese because they are Communists...it is a hold over from the Cold War days.

Some Americans do not like the Chinese because they are not Christians.

Some Americans do not like the Chinese because they look different.

Some Americans do not like the Chinese because they are becoming very sucessful...and we are losing jobs.

When you combine them...that is a large population....

I agree...Chinese are more like us than Japanese, Koreans etc....it is that freedom thing. Also Chinese are much less racist than the other Asian groups....

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Having lived in Hawii for 4 years...........:roflmao:

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

China is the fastest growing Christian nation in the world.

http://www.persecution.com/CHINA/

http://www.persecution.com/news/index.cfm?action=fullstory&newsID=327

The United States is no better than China. The United States government, like the Communist Chinese, deploys tanks against it's own citizens.

At least the Chinese government has a stake in corporate success. The US Government of Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi is worse than the Soviet Union.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008