World decline of IQ to borderline retarded

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by android, Jul 15, 2006.

1. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Human IQ average to be 82 by 2100

The dark blue line is the average IQ of the world. I've also plotted the population growth of the five most populous countries, India, China, the U.S., Indonesia, and Nigeria; the average IQ of each of these countries is in parenthesis. (Nigeria is currently ninth, with Brazil (87), Pakistan (81), Russia (96), and Bangladesh (81) intervening, but by 2050 it will be fifth.) As you can see, in a 100 year period the world's average IQ will have dropped from 92 to 86, a change of 6%. That is pretty darn significant. And all because of differential population growth.

I extrapolated the population growth of each country another 50 years to the year 2100 (lightly shaded region of graph). At that time the world's average IQ will have dropped below 84. Within this time period of 150 years, extremely short by any evolutionary standard, an incredibly significant change in this key metric will have occurred. And there is no sign of the trend bottoming out, because the growth rate of countries with lower IQs exceeds the growth rate of countries with higher IQs. The most populous country today is China, which has a high IQ (100), but its growth is actually projected to be negative because of their "one child" policy. After about 2030 India will be the most populous country, and it has relatively low IQ (81). At current growth rates by 2100 Nigeria will be the third most populous country, and it has a low IQ (67).

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/000953.html

We'll be dumb as chimpanzees and orangutans!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

wow the IQ of americans is really that high

startling

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Does anyone in the modern world still think that across-the-board IQ measurements of a population actually indicate their inherent general intelligence? Especially over time periods of 100 years? There are so many factors that go into that final number that it's still impossible to extract useful data from the noise. And when was the last time anyone got an uncensored, unbiased data set out of China?

Dosen't this rapid change in your data - "extremely short by any evolutionary standard " - indicate something far different than an actual decrease in the general intelligence of humans?

Is this what you are arguing?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Bite me you limey.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It seems to be below average...

/Insert joke on americans/

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think its an overestimate

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

suddenly Bush doesn't seem so dumb anymore...

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

a genius by comparison in fact

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Android,

Um.
    Derp.
    Do you understand what an IQ is?
    And do you realize why this:
    "...China, which has a high IQ (100)..."
    Is an incredibly ignorant statement to make?

A clue.
    No matter how stupid people might be on average in the year 2100, the average IQ will be...
    Exactly like it is today.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

unless you compare subsets with the total (set of data).

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

To all you foreigners, with loving care:

Bite me.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Already displaying primitive tendencies?

super you are truly a man ahead of your times!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yes. But this is not the intent of the original post which spoke of the worldwide lowering of the average IQ.
    Or did I misread?

"At that time the world's average IQ will have dropped below 84."

Also, the link speaks in the same language. Of a world-wide phenomena of lower average IQ.

An interesting theory that states the opposite, by the way.
    The Flynn Effect.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

My mistake...You are absolutely correct in that.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Why, Thank you! *wipes drool from side of mouth*

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Maybe this has something to do with it.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's very hard to design IQ tests that are not culture-biased. In my own lifetime--the 20th Century--I saw an IQ test with the following question:

If Trevor has two pounds twelve shillings sixpence and lets Nigel borrow half of his money, how many apples will he be able to buy from Tolen with the money he has left, if each apple costs two shillings thruppence ha'penny?

We're a little better nowadays at devising tests, but we haven't completely solved the problem. How would you craft a test for a population that is largely illiterate? Largely ignorant of events more than a hundred miles from their home? What referents can you rely on to make sense to them? If people's lives don't challenge them to use their raw intelligence, it may simply be undetectable and unmeasurable.

I would be extremely suspicious of low IQ scores in the Third World. Whether or not education makes you smarter, it makes you more facile at answering questions and it makes you a whole lot better at taking multiple-choice tests!
    As I was saying about IQ scores in the Third World. Does anyone really believe that the average person in Nigeria is literally a moron? Has the mental capacity of a toddler? They wouldn't be able to take care of their own children, shop for food, or perhaps even come in out of the rain. I'm sorry but this is just wholly presposterous. There's clearly a cultural bias in the test against people without formal western-style educations.
    I suppose so, if they keep recalibrating the tests as has been suggested. But you know someone is keeping archive copies of the older tests, especially in the computer age. They'll be able to give them to a sample population to see how they compare to the people of earlier eras. Some elitist group like Mensa will surely do it. In fact they already don't use the Stanford-Binet IQ test that is the standard in most organizations. At least the one they used forty years ago was different, I think it was called the Piaget. It was designed to test more accurately at the high end, which is why Mensa liked it. It even had a different scale. 140 on the Stanford-Binet was something like 160 on the Mensa test. They really liked being able to say they got 165 or 170 on their IQ tests.

I'm sure that at least Mensa will hold the line and not give in to IQ inflation. Right now they take the top two percent of the population, which puts the dividing line at about 135. If it gets to the point that only one tenth of one percent of the population is that bright, they will probably just become more exclusive.

23. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Not correct - IQ is normalized to a local population to generate that figure, and worldwide populations have inconsistent IQs. So we use the normalization for the United States, and find by that some nations have higher and some lower average IQ.

This isn't a difficult concept. I'm sorry you embarrassed yourself over it.