World Cup 2010 - one thread to rule them all

Discussion in 'World Events' started by wsionynw, Jun 10, 2010.

1. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

It wasn't a goal:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

That's like asking a pig what it thinks of quantum physics. Only the pig would give a more sensible answer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Looks like Ribery was lying on the ground when they painted the line so they just went round his nose.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To be honest that England game was the suckiest in a while.

Personally I couldn't give a stuff about football be it a world cup or not, however I've been pretty sure the sport is suffering the same problem that Cricket and more recently snooker has suffered and that's game rigging.

Now I'm sure that German fans might think this some sort of way to pass the buck in regards to how they won, suggesting that the games rigged verses their tactical prowess, well they would be wrong. Their tactical prowess is a certainty, however the absence of a game strategy from the England team really did suggest that the match was made to be sunk.

(England should have gone with one of two options when playing Germany, either an extremely heavy defence lessening the chances of goals for both sides or a counter Blitzkrieg, All out Offense. They did neither, fault of the manager? inexperience of the captain?)

It could be implied (with what might seem as borderline racism, which it isn't meant to be) that the England team suffered from having an absence of English players. To think a world cup usually implies all countries teams to signify their country, to have their countrymen stand behind them all of the way, but the English team is a Meltingpot of foreigners (Including the manager) who's allegiances are going to be divided between the country that pays their salary and the one they actually think of fondly as their childhood home.

However this being said I don't think that the nationality of the players is really what caused any concern about "rigging", just the overall Merchandising level and of course the Bookies turnover. I'd suggest the numbers are what really control any sports event, at least until they get caught for being in control and making it "un-sportsmanly".

8. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

party pooper ...

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Like I said sweet Pentax, You've a good... well great team. To be honest it's just the German way, you guys get stuck in and you get a job done, heck you can even be quite civil and sportsmanly about it too.

I didn't mean to perhaps make you feel I undermined your victory, I just felt it had to be pointed out that we didn't offer much of a game for you to celebrate. (I mean you pretty much got your score way too quick lol)

10. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Spain were all over Portugal, supreme diver Torres had a poor game, good.

Shame to see Japan go out but then from what I saw they hardly tried to win the game. Paraguay will be going home after the quarter finals.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The standings after the Round of 16:

- Blue scores are represent 3 points for predicting the correct winner or draw.
    - Red scores represent the above 3 points plus the additional 10 points for predicting the correct score.
    - The blue fill represents matches decided by penalty shoot-out.

The new hall of fame looks like this:

1. Enmos______________117 points
    2. Omega133____________75 points
    3. Sweet Pentax__________62 points
    4. Black Jack____________58 points
    5. Wsionynw____________45 points
    6. Kira_________________35 points
    7. GeoffP________________0 points

The matches of the Quarter Finals:

(July 2nd) Netherlands - Brazil
    (July 2nd) Uruguay - Ghana

(July 3rd) Argentina - Germany
    (July 3rd) Paraguay - Spain

NOTE: If you think a team will win by means of penalty shoot-out put the score like this: 1 - 1p.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

My predictions:

Netherlands - Brazil
    1 - 3

Uruguay - Ghana
    2 - 0

Argentina - Germany
    2 - 1

Paraguay - Spain
    0 - 3

13. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Japan lost

They tried really hard, and it was a really close game. In the end, it came down to a few centimeters.

14. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

seems it´s not easy to make some people happy :shrug:
    well .... maybe we´ll see a final germany vs brazil, 23:14 ..... hopefully, at least then you´ll say it was a great game

btw, i really don´t think the english were soo harmless, they already have been at 2:2. it just looked as if they were bad, because our side was a little bit better than them. for sure, they don´t deserve to be bashed by the whole country, especially the media. on another day, it could have been a totally different game.

get an english manager, let him form a young team, and be patient if they don´t win anything the next four years.
    just don´t take becks as manager, or the next wm is already over for england

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  15. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

Netherlands Brazil 3:2 (only if robben plays)

Uruguay Ghana 2:0

Argentina Germany 2:3

Paraguay Spain 0:2

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

It's possible(not mentioning specific games though), many reports were released before the WC about match-fixing. Difficult to prove it though.

Neither the manager nor captain are inexperienced. Incompetent and lazy maybe, like many of the players when it comes to playing international games.
    That doesn't really apply to the current squad as every single one of the England players at the world cup was born in England. This isn't cricket you know.

We appear to suffer from a lack of quality, but the reality is many other nations are now improving their leagues and development of players, and more top teams are emerging from the shadows of the traditional "big teams".
    See above. Apart from the manager, your cultural based statement doesn't currently apply. There should be no question of their loyalty. What is in question is their ability to perform, their sense of pride, and why they demand huge salaries to let everybody down.

17. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

I will try this:

Netherlands - Brazil
    2-2 (goes to kick outs)- Netherlands to win.

Uruguay - Ghana
    2 - 1

Argentina - Germany
    3 - 2

Paraguay - Spain
    1 - 2

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Who will win?

19. Black Jack Gen. "Black Jack" Pershing Registered Senior Member

Netherlands - Brazil - Brazil 4-2

Uruguay - Ghana - Uruguay 2-0

Argentina - Germany - Argentina 1-0

Paraguay - Spain - Spain 3-1

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You have more faith in it than I..
    Robben will play though.

21. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Sorry Enmos, I corrected on my list: Netherlands to win...

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks! And lets hope so

23. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

faith? just wishful thinking, don´t want to see a final against brazil