World’s largest connected radio telescope expands into Ireland

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jan 15, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

At least until the SKA is finished. [Square Kilometre Array]taking in South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand:
    https://www.skatelescope.org/australia/

Under the joint hosting arrangements, Australia will host the SKA’s low frequency aperture array antennas.

In 2012 the SKA Organisation made the announcement that the telescope would be co hosted between South Africa and Australia, with Australia hosting a critical component of the final SKA, but also the cutting edge research which would lead up to it.

Low frequency aperture arrays

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

An infographic detailing SKA1 LOW, the first phase of the SKA’s low frequency instrument.

Phase 1

Australia will host over one hundred thousand antennas (each about 2 metres in height) covering low frequency radio waves, to be expanded to up to a million antennas in Phase 2. This array will conduct research into one of the most interesting periods of the Universe, looking back to the first billion years of the Universe to look at the formation of the first stars and galaxies, providing valuable insight into dark matter and dark energy and the evolution of the Universe.

It will provide an increased capability over existing infrastructure at the same frequencies, providing 25% better resolution and being 8 times more sensitive than LOFAR, the current best such instrument. Moreover, it will be able to scan the sky 135 times faster.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Fantastic to see projects such as these still being undertaken:
    I see our knowledge of the cosmos as improving at great pace, and both these efforts will certainly add to that knowledge.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you paddoboy. I have learnt about matters new to me. That is why I enjoy this forum. In fact thank you for all the interesting leads.