Working on improving the national power grid.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Read-Only, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/20...ion-batteries-to-make-power-grid-smarter?lite

While this rates as only a baby step, at least it IS a step. It's the first bit of U.S. research designed to integrate the somewhat unreliable green energy sources smoothly into the current infrastructure that I'm aware of.

One industry that used a similar approach - battery backup until diesel engine or turbine-driven generators could come online - was the telephone utilities. At one point quite sometime ago, the degree of protection provided by that method reached nearly 90% nationwide but today is probably closer to 40%. An unexpected result of competitive cost-cutting following deregulation.

At any rate, this "new" approach is similar to something used decades ago. But the really good news is that it doesn't stop there. And with the government funding the project, there are certainly new innovated approaches expected to be developed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kwhilborn Banned Banned

The idea sounds very efficient, but is it cost effective? What are the lifespans and costs to maintain? We are talking mainly about storage and regulating devices.

I think I would rather see improvements and automation involved in restoring power after power losses either through rerouting calculations done online or separation from the national grids to make each city come online quicker.

I am of course referring to the famed Eastern Blackout that affected much of Canada and the US. There should have been no need for the power to remain off for as long as it did in many areas. I live 100 miles from a Nuclear Plant so they shuld have been able to disconnect from whomever they sell excess to and start up our own city right away.

There is power research ongoing (yes the other thread) that may also contribute power in the same format as wind and solar from a myriad of locations selling their excess to the state/province. Should such power sources come to dominate a society then power companies may have no option but to store and distribute excess powers from consumers, if they even exist at all.

I just hope that should our power grids ever colapse like that again they can quickly detach and reboot.

I can do with a few hours without power if it will save a lot of tax dollars. How much tax dollars will be lost in a 5 hour shutdown vs the cost of this per city?

Is this the smartest way to deal with a myriad of small electrical providers? I am not sure of the other options.

They say local customers will have battery access, but you suggest the national grid will be affected. I think the town of Salem, Oregon may be the only town helped by this.???

I am not arguing against it, but I am curious as to if it is cost effective overall.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

A quibble, but a necessary observation: Nothing unexpected about it. Foes of deregulation have been harping about such obvious consequences for many, many years now.

Back to the topic, sorry - - - -

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Just saw a presentation thar demonstrated that Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors had the ability to load follow quickly enough to back up typical unreliables like wind and solar PV. Just a thought.