Workaholic

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Are you a workaholic? Since my last job up until now, I definitely am. I love working with computers. Before I got engaged and moved in with my fiancee, I would work sometimes 14+ hours a day. I worked 8 in the office and then took my work home. Eleven of the questions below pertain to me. For me, work is a satisfying adventure that stimulates me most of the time and depresses me sometimes. It's an addiction.

Here are questions they tell you to ask yourself at Workaholics Anonymous:

1. Do you get more excited about your work than about family or anything else?
    2. Are there times when you can charge through your work and other times when you can't?
    3. Do you take work with you to bed? On weekends? On vacation?
    4. Is work the activity you like to do best and talk about most?
    5. Do you work more than 40 hours a week?
    6. Do you turn your hobbies into money-making ventures?
    7. Do you take complete responsibility for the outcome of your work efforts?
    8. Have your family or friends given up expecting you on time?
    9. Do you take on extra work because you are concerned that it won't otherwise get done?
    10. Do you underestimate how long a project will take and then rush to complete it?
    11. Do you believe that it is okay to work long hours if you love what you are doing?
    12. Do you get impatient with people who have other priorities besides work?
    13. Are you afraid that if you don't work hard you will lose your job or be a failure?
    14. Is the future a constant worry for you even when things are going very well?
    15. Do you do things energetically and competitively including play?
    16. Do you get irritated when people ask you to stop doing your work in order to do something else?
    17. Have your long hours hurt your family or other relationships?
    18. Do you think about your work while driving, falling asleep or when others are talking?
    19. Do you work or read during meals?
    20. Do you believe that more money will solve the other problems in your life?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

My work is 24/7 365 days a year - life/work integration started back with our hunter-gatherer ancestors...to play at work is indeed a wonderful thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm retired, so I fuck off 24/7 and/or do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want! So you see, I'm a "Fuck Off-aholic"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

lol...happy retirement Baron!

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ummm, I answer "aye" to most of the above questions. But I really love my work and I love giving it 100% of my effort. Besides, some professions are that demanding and take over most of your life; for example, art.

9. Bells Staff Member

Well I am retired now since my husband and I started our family. But I shall answer each question with memories of how it used to be for me.

Never. My family always had priority and they still do.

Of course. I think most would answer yes to that.

I used to, yes.

Nope.

I was good at what I did, but it was but one part of my life. As for talking about it. Rarely. After I retired, it became almost theraputic to talk about it, but at the time, it was something I never wished to depress people with. In short, I kind of kept a lot of it bottled in. After all, who wants to hear about cases involving child abuse, rapes, assaults, etc?

Yes I did.

Never.

Always.

LOL. Yes. Even now after I have retired.

Sometimes. Other times I took on extra work because there was no one else to actually do it.

Depends on the project. I always tried to make sure everything was ready on time. Sometimes however things changed and it was a bit of a rush to get everything filed on time.

It depends. If it will be to the detriment of your family for example, (eg have children who never see you, etc), then no.

Not usually. I used to get frustrated when someone would choose a game of golf (as an example) over a case.

Never did, no.

The only things that worry me in regards to the future nowdays, is how things will affect my son (as well as the second child I am currently expecting). If you mean financial future, no, I never worried about that.

Yes. It is a fault of mine.

Depended on the people or what else they wanted me to do. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I always made sure I made time for family life and my then partner outside of my work. Family and loved ones always come first for me.

Many times yes. Sometimes things would niggle at me for ages and would occupy my mind while not at my desk or in front of my computer. Rarely ever spoke about it outside of work however. What was at work tended to stay at work.

I did yes. Doesn't everyone?

No.