woo la la woo la la

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by //drift, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

http://www.geocities.com/ramin1102000/13.html

That explains what I was thinking...

"Richard> "Also, if gravity was low 200 million years ago, which, as you claim,
    meant larger dinosaurs, how did they breath? Lower gravity mean less air."

Ramin> Speaking about increasing of Earth's gravity, my mean is a very gradually increase. As you see in article No. 6 , a very small change of gravity can make lots effects on live animates. So my mean is this, in the past, the gravity was so small, as the atmosphere could be thin remarkably. The interesting this is this in despite of being small for gravity in the past, viscosity and pressure of atmosphere was more than is now. Because viscosity and pressure of atmosphere depends on type of molecules which form it, in addition to the amount of gravity. If atmosphere will be formed of heavy molecules, it's viscosity and pressure will increase. As we know, the combination of atmosphere has been constant from past up to now. High beeing of pressure in the past, is the same another reason for better living of giant animates. Also, the increase of pressure is the same factor which increases the growth speed of animates. "

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Where are you going to get "a few hundred comets" from? There's not that many around this solar system at any one time. Most comets have a very long path to take and aren't seen for centuries at times. So that idea isn't going to work out.
    Good point; you would have to wait a long time to gather the hundreds of comets required if you were content with naturally occurring ones. There are millions of comets in our solar system, however; they just all turn out to be in the Oort cloud, and bringing them in to Mars would be incredibly expensive.
    So if we are looking for a more convenient source of water we would need to get it from the moons and rings of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, where there is enough water to terraform both Mars and Venus twenty times over.
    Putting the water into low energy transfer orbits to impact on Mars would be effectively creating artificial comets; this is what I was intending (although grabbing a natural comet would be a bonus.)
    It could in fact be beneficial to use the energy of the incoming water ice to power rotating tether type transport systems; this avoid the damage to the nascent ecosystem that a cometary impact would cause, and allows a cheap way of getting off the planet in exchange.

If you live in a "matrix" then your not on another planet but only in a computer simulation. That's not going to other planets at all IMO.
    You are right, of course. The point I was making was it is obvious that terraforming is a very high energy business; it will always be cheaper to do it all in simulation, and simulations will soon get very good.

You can't terraform Mars because Mars doesn't have the gravity to hold onto an atmosphere sufficient for humans to live in.
    Well, that is only true to an extent. Mars probably did have an atmosphere billions of years ago, but lost it over a few million years; an eyeblink in cosmic terms.
    If Humanity were to terraform Mars, it could maintain Earth type temperatures and pressures for about two million years; this could be extended to about eighty million years if you imported more water, but that would eventually waste all the valuable water in the inner solar system.
    For this reason the idea of a world wide greenhouse, or worldhouse, is probably the best long term option.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

eburacum45, that is simply impossible.
    worldhouse? im sorry but i just cant even begin to imagine how such a thing could be possible.
    and the next time you wish to post a link to support a theory please dont take it from a scifi sight...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

eburacum45, that is simply impossible.
    worldhouse? im sorry but i just cant even begin to imagine how such a thing could be possible.
    and the next time you wish to post a link to support a theory please dont take it from a scifi site...
    ----------
    sorry amigo;
    just simple self promotion here-
    I can give you several links to more serious studies on worldhouses
    http://members.aol.com/dsportree/LS10.htm
    http://www.angelfire.com/on2/daviddarling/Macroengineering_Cathcart_1_p4.html
    http://www.paulbirch.net/TerraformingMarsQuickly.zip
    and so on-
    by golly, yes, it seems impossible now; but one day someone might do it...
    it is not thermodynamically impossible, just very expensive in time and energy.
    Which is why I am tending towards the Matrix scenario future as the cheapest and most likely alternative.

8. coluber Registered Senior Member

I think eburacum45 is correct why would that be so improbable i mean its possible, if humanity sticks around that long and is willing to waste the resources,time and effort an extra planet to mess up might come in handy.

9. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

If you had a solar reflector, like they were proposing for Siberia (to increase the sunlight there) then that might be able to provide you with heat.

There's plenty of ice in a ring around Jupiter and probably more in the asteroid belt. Water wouldn't be hard to get if you went there and slung it back. If you positioned the icesteroids to fall into a low-lying area like a basin or a canyon, you could get a pretty nice ocean after a while.

Martian ocean. Heh.

Then, with a little extra sunlight from the reflector to make sure it didn't freeze, and maybe a little heat supplied by humanity, we could go to Mars and live... UNDERWATER!

Fish farms. Seaweed! It's a lot easier to be genetically engineered to breathe underwater than to survive the rarefied Martian atmosphere. Also, the water would protect from actinic radiation.

Best of all, you wouldn't need to terraform all of Mars! Just one little bit. And, you could still have solar collectors and windmills on the surface for electricity.

Not bad, ya?