Wondering how many Obama fans are going to enlist when pakistan is hit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by angrybellsprout, Jun 20, 2008.

1. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Bullshit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

So now you are going to argue that Obama was full of it when he kept making threats towards Pakistan?

Or are you going to argue that with the Afghan government threatening Pakistan that Obama would not help with the invasion of Pakistan alongside with our allies in the Afghan government?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Threatening pakistan is a whole different thing from invading pakistan, note obama specifies "If President Musharraf won't act..." Also what Karzai does has nothing to do with Obama.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Got anything substantial to go on?

How so? One story is about tough talk in the primary that has long since fallen out of the dialogue, the other is about Afghan President Karzai.

You might be underestimating how quickly liberals who make the concession of supporting Obama would turn on him if he went into Pakistan.

Sure, I will. It was bluster and bullshit. Obama knows well that the United States cannot afford to lose Pakistan. The circumstances under which he would, or any president should, send troops into Pakistan without the consent of the Musharraf government are fairly dire, and we would hope that in the ten-plus months since Obama popped off with that splatter of machismo that he's figured out what's wrong with it. Statements like that will haunt him in the general election, and if they don't, it will be because his opponents are focusing too much on vapid distractions like his middle name.

9. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I think I remember you saying how you flew into Iraq to support the troops sent by your president - who avoided serving in the war that he was no doubt for but afraid of. Here's the thing. Any presidential candidate will have to be idiotic and war mongering or at least seem to be. But you have to make the best choice you have. Less stupid and less war mongering should get votes.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Simon Anders: "Any presidential candidate will have to be idiotic and war mongering or at least seem to be."

There's a lot of truth in that. Obama had to play along when the "nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists" scare was raised again, as did every prominent USAmerican politician questioned in that context. Failure to sound tough when the USA's great collective psychoses are conjured means sudden political death here. It's the same with the US defense-of-Israel hotbutton.

Context is paramount in understanding certain obstacles to forthrightness in the USA, and portraying Obama as a hawk or militarist requires ignoring the obvious.

11. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Too bad I didn't support Bush in 2000 or 2004, else you just might have a point.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We have all the troops we need. They're in Iraq.

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Fine, than you can imagine people being skeptical of Republicans who seem to be, in general, taking a similar line on foreign policy to the man you did not vote for.

14. draqon Banned Banned

dying one by one...

...funding running lower and lower

...everyday taking lives

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

time is sliping sliping sliping into the future

16. draqon Banned Banned

eternity waits for no one.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can lead a horse to water... ...but how?

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Bellsprout's got a point, frankly. What happens when Karzai refuses, or does nothing, the latter being far more likely? More of the same old seems to be the order of the day. No one using their heads.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I guess, if you are surprised that 'even democrats' make noises and even decisions that are ludicrous, he has a point. But if you simply prefer Obama rather than under little illusion that the world is about the radically change and he is the second coming, I suppose it could be depressing. Still, it does not mean you shouldn't vote for him. McCain will make similar noises and is vastly more likely to make such decisions so.....

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

...vote for the lesser evil.

21. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Bingo. (I am not convinced he is merely the lesser evil, but I make no assumptions he is good.)

22. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

It's not Obama's war, it's America's war against Terrorists who took 3000 lives on 911. Your problem is, you hate America, and everything it stands for. That's why you're taking the side of the Terrorists instead of the American President.

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Democrat war mongers and their perpetual wars.

Traditionally Democrats have only deployed US troops to help Al Qaeda e.g. The Butcher of Belgrade's genocidal campaign of extermination against Serbs in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Another Democrat tactic is to send American troops to their death against Al Qaeda fighters, e.g. Blackhawk Down and Mogadishu.