women loose embryo battle

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by alty, Oct 1, 2003.

1. alty Brainy Burd! Registered Senior Member

not sure where this should be posted so here will do..

Two women have lost their High Court battle to use their frozen embryos against the will of their former partners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3151762.stm

what does everyone think...?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

“Custody battle over un-born children?” Don’t the women usually win custody battles? well it is a legislative problem the law should be change so that the embryo can be fought over like it were a child and no this should not go into a slippery slope into give more embryonic rights (like making abortions illegal).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

Shouldn't, but inevatably would.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

It would only make an abortion illegal if the father of the embryo/fetus wanted it stopped - it wouldn't be generalised to all abortions.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

huuuuuuum thats most likely true, wonder if thats debatable: would women give men the right?

9. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

The fate of the fetus inside the woman should be left up to the woman. It is her choice whether to continue to be a host to the parasite. The man has nothing to with it.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes but what about a embryo that is not in a womb? Who should have the custody rights? I think that’s a major difference a embryo in a womb is the women’s rights and can be aborted if she wants to no say of the father, but a embryo out of the womb could be separated from abortion laws and rights and custody could be fought over.

11. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

agreed, inside the womb, the female is a serviceprovider, giving her more rights, outside is for the highest bidder

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. KitNyx Registered Senior Member

I think the responsability would go to whomever was paying to keep the fetus in cold storage. I mean it should be their legal property is it not? This brings up an interesting question. Could (or should) a person be able to copyright their own DNA? That is the only way I can understand how the man might have a say as to what the woman does with his genes. I mean he obviously already donated it. Once it is out of his body, what makes it any different from anyone elses - unless it is legally protected by copyright.

- KitNyx

13. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

So would the woman have to sign a license agreement before sex?

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I agree with the courts on this one.

The guy shouldn't be forced to father a child against his will.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Why should he give a dam its only his child genetically he does not need to take part in rising it, it equivalent to sperm bank donating.

16. Konek Lazy user Registered Senior Member

In theory he shouldn't. But he'd probably want to be informed whether or not a child of his is being brought to this world.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well if he lost custody of it in the divorce court then he should know dam well she plans to use it.

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I don't see the point. It's not like the man is going to be any worse off if this becomes a kid.

The only issue is who owns the embryo. This should have been handled in the divorce.

19. Konek Lazy user Registered Senior Member

The problem is, the mom might later on want child support and stuff like that. It wouldn't be fair, but a DNA test is still used in such cases when a guy denies paternity. So, like you said, these little details should be settled a priori, but the court decisions should go into deep detail.