Women banned from Olympic ski-jumping

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Orleander, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

visceral_instinct life is like that, feminists have managed to do quite well at breaking the molds while the reverse has simply not happened. As chris says dress standeds are a good example. Women in alot of area's have 2 choices, they can wear skirts or pants yet if a man wanted to buy the female uniform he would be stigmatised as a transexual rather than an indervidual chosing to wear what for him might simply be a more comfertable alternitive with no psycosocial componant.

Basically, life sucks and then you die

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yup.

Life is a bitch, and she has dangerous canine teeth.

I still think it is discrimination.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

If there is no business for it and no one watches it they get rid of it.

It just happened that its this one, if they canned a sport that involved males competing no one would have said anything.

Feminists just like to complain about stupid shit like this because they are still trying to find some purpose.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

obviously sports are feminine and masculine...otherwise we would have women players in a team of men playing basketball or something.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

VI I agree with you, it IS discrimination but there is little to nothing that can be done about it. you think the anti discrimation commissioner would care about cases like this? i mean there is a great example of discrimination at work

we all have our own work to do but trollies need to be collected. i was on with mostly women and i got called away from my work 3 times to collect them where as the women wernt called out once, because they are women as simple as that. work doesnt even try to denie it but its a case of "this is the way it is, deal with it"

note the strength argument doesnt work in this case because we are employed to stock shelves so they have to be just as strong as i do

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I always though it was "life is a bitch, then you die"

No wait... "life is a bitch, then you marry one, then you die"

Seriously, I would imagine that the Olympic commitee in their infinite wisdom, combined with advertisers or other economic powers that be, have determined that the sport is not warranted a spot because it will not generate enough revenue / advertisement income.

Failing that, it probably is simply sexual discrimination and should be fought as such. Perhaps some sort of boycott of men's ski jumping, although I doubt you would find enough followers.

I believe the women's version of the sport will eventually be included, but that is scant comfort to today's competitors...

10. draqon Banned Banned

it is so: life is a cycle, there are waves of despair and happiness, with end of a cycle, comes a cycle anew.

11. draqon Banned Banned

this is all about revenue and making money and not about whether females or males should get to dance while swimming or do ski jumping.

12. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Actually, according to the wiki article on ski jumping, the problem appears to be few participating countries, and not enough athletes.
    This doesn't appear to have anything to do with gender or obscurity per-se. This is more along the lines of having enough competitors to merit inclusion as a world game. Personally, I'd love to watch a women's ski jump competition. I love watching women compete.

.....and in my opinion, synchronized swimming would catch on among men assuming they were handed a ball, and allowed to punch each other in the face.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes.

And.. you won't kill me, right ? :fright:

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what's netball?

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um uts a female sport played in the commonwealth and one of the best sports ever designed (except for the damage it tends to do to the girls knees). goggle it because i cant open multiple windows on my phone

16. otheadp Banned Banned

Big deal - no women ski jumpers at Olympics... they should stick to making babies and baking cookies and ski jumping at other events

Anyway, whatever reason there was, it wasn't sexism or anything. There is freakin women's Judo and Tae Kwan Do, for fuck's sake. Even women's soccer. It must be another reason. And those 3 sports are way more boring than women ski jumping.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Probably this...

But they didn't elaborate on why it wasn't developed enough.
    This whole thing hinges on this statement and the IOC's ability to prove it.

I'm very curious as to what they mean by not developed enough. What? Popularity? Funding? Competitors?

18. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing it's because Women's Ski Jump will have held only one World Championship which was earlier this year.

I'm also guessing that it'll be a medal event in the 2014 games. Based on these excerpts from an IOC press release from November 2006.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=1972

19. agua bendita Registered Member

When I first heard this I thought we were speaking of Iran, or some other nation stuck in the Stone Age. After all, it's the 21st Century, it's not possible that there is actually a rule that bans women from a certain sport, is it?

Unfortunately, proving why there needs to be a an authentic feminist movement, Gian Franco Kasper, the presdient of the Intenational Ski Federation, is stuck in the year 600. He has indeed banned women from ski jumping because, according to him, it's "too dangerous" for them. Get a load of this Cave Man's mentality:

20. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

might have something to do with the old opening of "abc wide world of sports"