Woman sues cop who asked for date after giving ticket

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by KilljoyKlown, Jan 4, 2012.

1. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

LOL
    Typical Ad hominum.

No sexual reference was made in the note and if that single note was the extent of the interaction over the last 2 months it is clearly non-obtrusive and non-threatening.

Really?

I suppose you have supporting DATA on the frequency of sexual harrassment and Rape by police officers who pull over female drivers for traffic violations/suspicion of DUI to support your allegation that she had reason to be worried?

I suspect no more than any woman does when accepting a date from a larger man and getting in his car. Part of living.

Not really as he did not confront her.
    And of course he had her address, it is in his ticket book.
    So if she is that paranoid she should worry about everyone she gives her licence to for identification since she would never know which ones DID stalk her.

He never touched her, but you want to imply that he did and you used a rape reference to suggest it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Apparently, she's trying to use the California Legislature enacted Vehicle Code Section 1808.21, which congressed passed after the case of Rebecca Schaeffer. It's on a need to know basis, which he had when he pulled her over.

"According to the legislation, a stalker is defined as "someone who willfully, maliciously and repeatedly follows or harasses another victim and who makes a credible threat with the intent to place the victim or victim's immediate family in fear of their safety." There must be at least two incidents to constitute the crime and show a "continuity of purpose" or credible threat."

I doubt that she'll win but he could lose his job from conduct unbecoming of an officer. It depends on whether or not they like him.

Personally, I don't think he did anything wrong. She waited a while to file. So obviously, she told someone, who then said "Hey, maybe you have a case...$$$"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or she thought "holy shit, it's a cop! If I go to the courts I'll end up in even more trouble, because they protect their own."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

And from what has been written, there was not a second note, so as you pointed out, stalking as a charge doesn't apply (and there was no threat at all implied by the note).

With any luck he'll get a short reprimand and life will go on.

That's kinda what it looks like to me as well.
    But hey, I've apparently got a reactionary authoritarian streak

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That's a good point, she probably started talking to her friends and someone said let me check with a lawyer friend and the lawyer said we have a case if you want to pursue it. The fact is she will most likely get paid off without ever going to court. how could she pass that up?

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, so? I notice that you don't even bother to deny the charge. And anyway, ad hominem is only fallacious if it's pursued in exclusion of substance, which is not the case here. You are reliably - apparently, reflexively - deferential towards authority figures, and in particular the police, whether they're macing peaceful protestors, stalking women at their homes, or who knows what else.

The note contained an invitation for a dinner date, and contained an explicit description of the victim as "attractive." Those are overtly sexual references.

That single note was itself clearly obtrusive and threatening. Just because he (putatively) stopped stalking her after this incident, doesn't imply that what he did wasn't stalking.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=driving while female

It's interesting that you'd equate the situation of this generic woman who wants nothing to do with this police officer, to that of a woman who has freely accepted an invitation to go on a date and decided to get into a vehicle driven by a physically superior man. Apparently all women in the USA are to be understood as having indicated sexual/romantic interest in any and every police officer in the country, and also having freely chosen to place themselves into the physical control of the same? Or what?

There is no requirement of "confrontation" in the definition of "stalking" (quite the opposite, actually) nor "abuse of power."

That's exactly why his use of such to pursue his personal sexual interest in her was exactly an unacceptable abuse of his power and position.

We don't know who she does and does not worry about, nor what practices she follows when it comes to showing her ID to people.

What we do know, is that the one guy she has complained about did actually use the information to stalk her.

We also know that her expectation that police officers would not so abuse such information is reasonable, and well-founded in law and practice. By abusing his power, this officer has eroded the trust that the public has in police officers not to (illegaly!) misuse personal information gained through police duties. This will make it that much more difficult for other police officers to effectively, safely, and efficiently perform their duties.

I'm pointing out that you are engaged in a cheap game of victim blaming - or, in the case of female victims of sexual harassment or other sex crimes, "slut shaming." It's a standard part of the discourse on such matters, reliably emanating from authoritarian and patriarchal perspectives as a means to innoculate against charges of misconduct and preemptively discredit victims. Which is exactly your program here.

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Point is that these vacuous suppositions about what we're supposed to read from the tea leaves of filing dates are just that - there's no real conclusions to be garnered from that, and anybody who suggests otherwise is obviously just pushing some agenda and looking for a cheap talking point.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

You can try the glib dismissal all you want, but the reliability with which you rush to the defense of the authorities every time they are caught doing something wrong will undermine you. Not to mention, the insecurity evident in your need to be seen laughing this charge off here. If you really wanted to prove me wrong, you'd ignore this particular charge, and meanwhile build up some credibility by waiting for a chance to be seen criticizing an abuse of police authority.

12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Oh BS, I could care less what you think of me Quad, just pointing out your typical leap to an Ad Hominum.

The mark of someone with a weak argument.

The fact is he didn't do anything to harm or scare or intimidate that women.

At most it was slightly poor judgement on his part.

Of course you would hang him for it.

Big surprise there.

13. Bells Staff Member

You do not think a police officer, who stops someone to give them a ticket, then goes back to the station and uses Government resources he has full access to, to find out where that someone lives, drives to her house and leaves a note on her car telling her that he can't stop thinking about her and to please go out with him, has done nothing wrong?

Would you think differently if he raped her or killed her?

The very fact that he abused his position as a police officer to use police resources to track down a woman he had stopped while on patrol, to find out where she lives so he could ask her out means he should be fired.

It is a complete and utter breach of privacy. I work for the Government and if I so much as look at someone's file that I have no reason to be looking at (such as to find out where that person lives so I can go there to ask them out), I'd be fired. Instantly.. And if the breach is severe enough, such as the one in this case, I would be prosecuted.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I went back and read the article again.

Why is it suddenly all about the money?

The lawsuit also names Stickney Police Chief Joseph Kretch and the village of Stickney.

What's this all about, if not money?

I'm rather curious now to hear how this all comes together. The legal system comes up with some very bizarre outcomes.

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

How do you know he went through government resources? He filled out her address on the ticket when he wrote it. And, as has been pointed out, most people are in the phone book.

I'll agree that it was bad form and unprofessional on his part.

16. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Do we know if he went back to the office to obtain her address? I was under the assumption that dispatch could provide the address when he ran the license plate and/or, when he asked to see her driver’s license. My address is on my diver’s license.
    He had a reason to look it up, he gave her a ticket, remember?

It would be different had he let her out of the ticket, if she’d agree to go out with him. Now, that is abusing your authority. Rape? Killed? He asked her out, for Christ’s sake.
    Should we also string Dawkins up for the elevator incident? Holy shit, can’t a man ask a woman out anymore? Gee, rejection and a frivolous lawsuit to boot.

He left one little note….Ooooh, so scary.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

She's a friggin money hungry bitch. Hopefully, this will prevent other's from asking her out.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

More BS.

I haven't blamed her for anything and to equate leaving a note that identifies oneself and asks someone if they would like a date to a sex crime is to make a HUGE expansion of the definition of what constitutes a sex crime or conversely to demean the latter.

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Maybe she got more scared the more time went by and or tried to talk herself out of filing lawsuit for a couple of months.
    At any rate, it is not up to you or I to decide if lawsuit is "frivolous".
    Pretty sure, though, if you were to "punch" her "in the face for filing this frivolous lawsuit", that the lawsuit she filed against you for doing just that would not be "frivolous". Also, why did you feel it so important to publish her address? Remember my moniker!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  19. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Where did that ; "Yeah, and just look at what that slut was wearing! Obviously she wanted it." come from?!!
    I saw no references to her clothing or pictures. And what would it matter, anyway. Just because you find someone attractive, surely does not mean "They want it"!!??!!
    I find lots of ladies attractive, but i am pretty sure they do not look at me and think "Gee, I hope he makes sexual advances toward me!!" As a matter of fact , I think I would be pretty worried about any of them if they did indeed think that and go so far as to let me know!! Remember my moniker!!

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yeah, most people dislike police, right up until they need one.
    I know quite a few and tend to find most of them pretty nice people and I've heard their daily stories and so yes, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm quite familiar with people like you as well though.

No Quad, telling a woman they are attractive and asking for a dinner date are NOT overtly sexual references.

No Quad, as Trooper's post explained:
    His single note does not come anywhere close to any rational description of STALKING.

And your Google Search returned mainly hits from Saudi Arabia, but what it does seem to show is that in the US it is a rather rare occurrence, and if found to be true, it is punished severely.

21. Bells Staff Member

Evangelina Paredes accuses Stickney cop Chris Collins of violating her privacy by searching motor-vehicle records for her address, then leaving a handwritten note on her car windshield outside her apartment two days after she was ticketed.

[Source]

Unfortunately, he went further than that, didn't he?

If a police officer searches the "motor-vehicle records" for someone's address to commit a crime, it would matter to you, correct?

But if he searches those records for his own personal reasons (asking someone out is not police business) and personal gain, you have no issues with that?

I don't think you quite understand the extreme breach of privacy that happened here. He used his access at the 'DMV' to find out where she lives so he could go there and ask her out.

He used his position to get personal information about her and then drove to where she lived. It is unprofessional and a breach of her privacy. Are there no privacy laws in the US? What? Government employees are able to use their access to such sites to look up people they fancy?

And he is obviously a psycho who is using his status as a police officer to access government files to look up where women live so he can drive to their homes and ask them out.

And hopefully he not only loses his job, but is charged with invasion of privacy and breaching the public trust as a police officer.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

you are ignoring the circumstances and manner the date was requested. while sexual harassment is a matter for civil courts, there can be facets of that offense that could possibly be criminal in nature.

for instance, the actions of the cop can be construed as stalking

/wipes tears

23. Gustav Banned Banned

on a lighter note.....

What can I do if someone is stalking or harassing me?

* Think about your safety and get help. The first thing to do is call the police

/laughs