Woman Auctions Father's Ghost on eBay

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Combine, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Combine Back from the Dead!!!!! Registered Senior Member

HOBART, Ind. Dec 4, 2004 - A woman's effort to assuage her 6-year-old son's fears of his grandfather's ghost by selling it on eBay has drawn more than 34 bids with a top offer of $78.

Mary Anderson said she placed her father's "ghost" on the online auction site after her son, Collin, said he was afraid the ghost would return someday. Anderson said Collin has avoided going anywhere in the house alone since his grandfather died last year.

In a description titled "This isn't a joke," Anderson told Collin's story on eBay:

"I always thought it was just normal kid fears until a few months ago he told me why he was so scared. He told me 'Grandpa died here, and he was mean. His ghost is still around here!'"

Lest the boy's fears scare off potential bidders, Anderson added, "My dad was the sweetest most caring man you'd ever meet."

Some of the prospective buyers have posted their own messages.

"Your story brought tears to my eyes," one bidder said. "I just wonder how this will turn out for your son. I'm sure his Grandfather loved him very much."

Anderson also put her father's metal walking cane up for auction so she would have something to actually send the winning bidder. The proceeds from the auction will go to buy Collin a special present, she said.

Anderson makes one special request of the winner bidder: "I would like to ask you to write a letter after you've received the cane (and the ghost) to my son letting him know that he's there with you and you're getting along great."

The bidding is due to close Monday afternoon.

A message left with San Jose, Calif.-based eBay Inc. in San Jose, Calif., was not immediately returned Saturday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=303163

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=5539709069&rd=1

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Damn I wish I woud have thought of it. You can sell any crap on e-bay.

G.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

You could do it again, if you wish. Sell karma or something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Not a shabby idea - i think i'll sell my Soul.

1 Soul
    never used
    still in original packaging
    ideal for parties, anecdotes or ascension to heaven

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Mary Anderson said she placed her father's "ghost" on the online auction site after her son, Collin, said he was afraid the ghost would return someday.

Genius or idiot?

This woman has found an interesting sales idea which simply cannot lose. Nice idea for a legitimate scam.

On the other hand, she is not dealing with the problem at hand and is in fact making the situation worse by convincing her son that ghosts exist.

9. onewiththeuniverse onewiththeuniverse Registered Senior Member

$78 so thats all a ghost is worth in todays market.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Wow, eBay is weird!

I've heard of one guy selling his virginity so he could pay his way through college. Did I hear correctly?

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Unless, of course, she believes that ghosts exist.
    Why wouldn;t she teach her son that if she believed it herself?

12. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

she got a total of $60,000.00 smakers; when the story was reported, biting started at around $70.

it made the evening news. That's why I know.

G.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Unless, of course, she believes that ghosts exist.
    Why wouldn;t she teach her son that if she believed it herself?

I would suspect that if she "really" believed in ghosts then she would also believe one cannot rid of ghosts by selling them on ebay.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Possibly, but your point was that she was somehow making the situation worse for her son by "convincing" him, or allowing him, to believe in ghosts.

My point is that only applies if she doesn't want her son to believe in ghosts.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

How would attempting to convince her son to not believe in ghosts have anything to do with the sale of said ghosts?

Selling a ghost on ebay would confirm ones belief, would it not?

Unless a scam of course...

16. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

I tried to sell a vegetarian friend of mine once, the result was a responce from PR saying that slavery is illegal and that ebay will not take responsibility for my actions, nor does it condone the selling of human beings on ebay, so they temporarily banned me for a month, such a long month it was

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

.1 dollar