Woman adopts child and then decides to return it

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Russia threatened to suspend all child adoptions by U.S. families Friday after a 7-year-old boy adopted by a woman from Tennessee was sent alone on a one-way flight back to Moscow with a note saying he was violent and had severe psychological problems.

"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues," the letter said. "I was lied to and misled by the Russian Orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability and other issues. ...

"After giving my best to this child, I am sorry to say that for the safety of my family, friends, and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child."

The boy was adopted in September from the town of Partizansk in Russia's Far East.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_adopted_boy

Now this is not the first time such an incident has occurred and frankly I find this one much worse:

A Dutch couple has sparked outrage by giving up a seven-year-old South Korean girl they adopted as a baby after claiming she didn't "fit in" with their life-style.

The diplomat and his wife, who had taken in the child after failing to conceive, handed her to social workers in Hong Kong after having two biological children.

They claimed the girl, who was adopted when four months old and has lived in the territory since she was three, was struggling to adapt to their culture, including food.

The girl, who speaks English and Cantonese but not Korean, is neither a Dutch citizen nor a Hong Kong resident, so her future in the territory is uncertain.

"It's bizarre. I don't think it has anything to do with cultural shock," said Law Chi-kwong, an associate professor at the University of Hong Kong's Social Work department.

"The child grew up with them. They adopted her when she was a baby; they are responsible for shaping the child's mind and culture.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dopted-baby-failure-fit-in.html#ixzz0kdN3XWJ0

I find the two incidents very different. The american family that returned the seven year old had only kept him for six months and indeed they may have been misinformed about the state of the child's mental health. In the case of the Dutch family they simply discarded a child they had since birth with some lame excuse about the child not 'fitting in' and to make matters worse they didn't even leave the child in its nation of birth or their home country but in a third nation being the territory of Hong Kong.

Now should a child that has been adopted by a family be abandoned if it is deemed to be 'not what they hoped for'? If the child were born into their family and 'didn't fit in' or had 'emotional and psychological' issues they would have to deal with it with a more difficult option of giving it up to social services but that is not so easily done and would need a court order as its illegal to abandon a child.

Now I do think that adoptions shouldn't be made too easy, I also think for the protection of the child that there should be an intermediate period of time where the family can get to spend a long period of time with the child while being monitored in some neutral setting before they are allowed to adopt a child and take it out of its home country, if this had happened then the American family would have noticed that the child had problems they were not able to cope with and opt out of adoption.

In the case of the Dutch family I think they should not have been allowed to simply abandon the child in a third country, but then there is the question of how well cared for the child would be if they were forced to keep it.

This brings up the question of whether people should be allowed to leave their own country and adopt a child from outside.

So what solutions do you think there are for circumstances like this?

Is it that the American family didn't try and fight for the child long enough? Meaning that perhaps they had not done everything they could to help address the child's issues?

What protocols could be implemented so that children who had already been abandoned are not again rejected?

What legal responsibilities should there be for adopted parents?

Should there be a law demanding that parents adopt children within their own country where it can be more closely monitored?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

It appears that it may have been the grandmother who put the child on the plane and made all the arrangements after she received advice from an online legal service.

I mean here we have a child with probable abandonment issues and who had been abused. Their response was to allegedly abuse him and abandon him as well.

I find this story revolting. The more I read into it, the more revolting it gets:

They had alternatives. But the grandmother, for god knows what reason, chose this option?

I would be interested to know of the lawyer who offered her the advice she apparently followed. She did not guarrantee this child's safety. Putting him on a plane and arranging to have someone she found online to come and pick him up for $200 from the airport...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But what gives the grandmother the legal right to send him back? I mean its not the grandmother who adopted the child. For example if it were her natural grandchild she couldn't simply take it from its family and give it up to social services? So what makes adopted children so different.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I would like to know.. Did she seek help for this poor child? Did she take him to see any doctors? After all, if as the grandmother reported, the child was drawing up a hitlist, she would have had him seen to by mental health experts?

Right?

I am trying to wrap my head around how this woman went to all the trouble to adopt a child from another country and then after just 6 months, put him on a plane unaccompanied by anyone he knew or from his supposed 'new family' and then to be picked up by someone she found on the internet and paid $200 to be taken back to Russian Government officials, without so much as a phone call to them. I mean, she could have called them first and told them what was happening. She could have contacted the US adoption agency she went through so that this poor child would not have been put through that ordeal and he could have possibly been placed with a family who would have cared for him properly. She treated this poor child like he was a commodity, something you can just send back with a note saying it's not working properly.

An adoption isn't ebay or amazon. When you adopt a child, you become that child's parent. If after 6 months she gave her "best to this child".. 6 months.. she sends him back.. That is not parenting. That is child abandonment at a bare minimum. The letter she included with this child for the Russian authorities included this line "I no longer wish to parent this child".. No, seriously, what in the hell?

Reading a bit more into this story, it gets even more bizarre.

What the hell kind of parent does this? How did she even qualify for adoption? What this case does show is that there needs to be a lot more scrutiny in adoptions. Adoptive parents need to be scrutinised a lot more closely, especially within the first year after the adoption. This child was apparently not even sent to school, but was made to remain at home. I cannot comment on his treatment while in the care of his adopted family. But what we can determine is that what she did was horrendously wrong and just down right stupid. There are procedures that one must follow if one wants to return a child if it is not working out. You don't just plonk the child on a plane by himself without even any luggage and $200 to give to some stranger coming to pick up the child on the other end, with a letter saying 'we don't want him anymore'.

I would like to know what lawyer the grandmother supposedly spoke to who gave her the advice. I would like to know why she did not follow the proper channels. Why cause this much trauma to a child?

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Did she go through a US adoption agency? In the US adoptions are a long, drawn out, intrusive procedure that can take a lengthy time of gathering information about the family wishing to adopt a child. People even complain about it, that its too difficult to adopt children in the States, that they make its a 'hassle'. Now you can understand why there is so much scrutiny involved. I'm wondering if the US adoption agency were even involved in this because for many overseas adoptions the US adoption agencies don't seem to have much involvement.

They were negligent but what I don't understand is why foreign adoptions are not given the same scrutiny by US agencies, meaning even if the procedures are lax in another country, say where you can simply pay for a child, why these adoptions are not more scrutinized when they are back in the US. Did you read the horrific tale of the Dutch couple that adopted a Korean toddler only to abandon it in a third country? I have the link above after the lead story.

I'm starting to think that either they change the laws so there is more scrutiny in foreign adoptions or make them illegal altogether.

Its seems there is a double standard regarding adoptive children as opposed to the guidelines that would protect a natural born child in a family.

Ha. I wonder where all those anti abortion people are now who care so deeply about the unborn. Why are they not up in arms about the treatment of children like these raised in adoptive homes and ill treated by their caregivers? Why are they not crying out in pain over the abandonment and treatment of the children already among us?

Before they even consider the treatment of children that are abandoned, abused, neglected, left to faulty and inadequate agencies for care they want to bring MORE unwanted children into this world. I find it simply so sad and completely hypocritical. For them the woman who aborts because she's not ready to care for a child AND KNOWS IT doesn't come under the same scrutiny as those who actually neglect children, as a matter of fact she is worse, you know she's the uncaring, irresponsible, murdering bitch who opened her legs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They would rather she simply had it because you know its a life and all and then they can completely forget about these children all 'full of life' after the fact. Very convenient indeed.

But examples of people like that in the OP? No. Complete silence.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Don't adopt from overseas. Sheesh- isn't it obvious why?

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Tell that to Angelina and Madonna both of whom payed money to be able to easily take the children they now have. Overseas adoptions are popular because they are so easy and CHIC. But I agree with you save I think that there should be more regulations and oversight or it should be simply illegal.

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Desperate parents go for overseas adoptions (on a whole, unlike Madonna or Jolie) because it's too difficult to qualify for an American child; because they set the bar too high.

They find a way to sneak the kid over here somehow then claim some sort of right, forcing the child to become an adoptee- I am no expert in that field.

I have a good friend who adopted a child from Russia- the kid is fucked up mentally- barely responds/barely speaks, is severely autistic- is 9 and has the mind of a two year old... will never mentally be above a ten year old etc...

There's a reason these countries are finding every which way to get these kids out of the nation- these kids are the neediest of American medical care which they simply can't get "over there".

These doctors and nurses are making the best choice for these fucked up kids- hand them off al America- "best care anywhere".

I mean fuck- we're all eBay users, right? Don't we all know caveat emptor?!!!

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Its not the countries are advertising their children to be adopted its the parents in the West who seek to avoid the 'high standards' that makes it difficult to do so here. But these high standards exist for a reason, so that people who adopt don't end up in a situation they are not prepared for. For example in the US and many European countries they will not paint a pretty picture of the child. They will give a full background of what difficulties are to be expected if the child has underlying issues and then scrutinize the family to see if they can actually cope with such conditions. In truth all parents, natural and adoptees want a perfect healthy little child which is why there are so many children left in adoption homes in the States because people don't want a compromised child or teenager who isn't a baby and has been in a dozen foster families and has obvious issues of abandonment, rage, low self esteem, learning disabilites and god knows what else.

I do agree with you that many of the agencies in eastern europe welcome someone from the west to come and give these kids a chance and get them out of an already overtaxed and under financed system in their own countries. I agree with all that. But why is it that these kids are not monitored by the system in the US? Why is there a lesser standard for an overseas adoptive child than there would be for a natural born child or even one acquired in the US? Trust me a family that abandons or sends their own birth child or a legally adopted child acquired in the US to another country in such a manner as has been illustrated above in Bells post would be prosecuted for child endangerment.

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

By the way they don't have to 'sneak' the child into the US they just have to show papers from the foreign government and agencies that the child was legally adopted.

14. Bells Staff Member

As quoted above:

I mean they didn't even contact the agency they used. Not the one in the US or the one in Russia. Instead, the grandmother took it upon herself to place the child on a plane by himself with $200 to give to a complete stranger to the child back in Russia and be left on the doorstep of the Governing authority dealing with adoptions in Russia. It is appalling to do this to this child.

In this case, the child did not appear to have been snuck in. This was a legitimate adoption.

Which this child did not appear to have gotten. Tell me, what do you think about what this woman and her mother have done to this child? Shouldn't they have at the very least contacted the agencies who facilitated the adoptions in the US first to try to find another family to take him, even until they determined what was going to happen to this child? They could have called social services for example and explained what was happening and had the child moved into care while pending a psychiatric evaluation. They could have done it legally. But to send a child on a trip back to Russia alone, without any luggage even (aside from the small backpack he was carrying and the clothes on his back) with a letter and $200 to pay a total stranger found on the internet. They didn't even call the Ministry in Russia until after they assumed the child had gotten there. Russia wasn't even aware they were sending the child back.

This is a child. Not a parcel where you can put return to sender on it.

Did they even take this child to a doctor in the US for some sort of evaluation? If the mother or the grandmother cared at all for this child, they would have gotten some help. Not done this.

You can buy children from ebay?

This isn't ebay. This was an adoption. One does not adopt from ebay. And even ebay has strict policies on their returns. In short, what this woman and her mother did was ridiculous.

What this has demonstrated is that there is a need for much stricter control and monitoring of all adoptions, be they from within the US or from overseas.

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

The stricter controls and monitoring will have to come from the US side. You know the woman who arranged for Angelina Jolie's adoption of Maddox was prosecuted for corruption because she was selling children to american parents, children who also had not been legally given up by their parents (the woman was an american go between). Consequently americans are no longer legally able to adopt children from Cambodia. They can adopt them and live in Cambodia or some other country but they are not able to return to the States with the children.

What does the law state in Australia concerning overseas abortions? How is it monitored and controlled?

16. Bells Staff Member

From what I know, it is very stringent, in that it is not easy and very expensive. Parents are screened extensively in Australia and I suspect, in the countries they are planning to adopt from. As far as I know in Australia, if you are adopting from overseas, you need to prove that you are involved with the communities of the country the child is coming from. I know parents who adopted from overseas and it took them years to get their child. In the meantime, they would travel and sometimes live in the other country for periods of time, getting to know the child and the customs, etc, of the country comes from. Adoption is not an easy process in Australia. It is actually very difficult to adopt in Australia, because the rules and regulations are so stringent. Parents are also monitored after the adoption has taken place. They get home visits and such from social workers who are employed by the adoption agency and Government accredited, to ensure that the child is fitting in with its new family and also to ensure that the family is coping with the new addition.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

wow that's a horrible story. poor kid has been through the ringer. at 7 it must be hell to be adopted in a foreign language.

as for the dutch couple. wtf was that about? the girl didn't "fit in" with their life style? wtf??? they should be shamed every day of their lives. if they lived by me I think I'd take an afternoon off and I'd stuff the articles about their actions into the mail boxes of all of their neighbors as well as at their work - let their friends and colleges see what arse-wipes they truly are. this could be fun to do every year or so

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is called buyer's regret. You don't like the product, you return it. Every adopted kid should come with at least 6 months warranty anyway, and no question asked return policy...

19. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

How do you balance this? I've heard horror, well, rather "intense", stories from friends trying to adopt - they express a process that is lengthy and intrusive (much like you allude to). Making it nigh on impossible to adopt, unless you have the proverbial Daddy works, Mommy stays home with 2.2 children, a dog, and a white picket fence surrounding a beautifully manicured lawn. (USA dreamland "perfect home" - a situation approaching extinction)

Do we really want to take such a microscopic view, based on each individual child? Not to say this wouldn't be the ideal situation, but seems, of course, to be highly unrealistic. Where does a somewhat more statistical (and realistic, IMHO) view, based on how many children can be "saved" by a different approach, lie?

Note: All my numbers referenced below, unless otherwise indicated, are purely hypothetical. If someone can, and desires to do so, please correct my hypothetical assumptions - only difference, you need to be prepared to back up your assertions, since yours would be presumed to be "factual".

My thoughts (hesitate to even label them as "hypothesis" yet):

What if the adoption guidelines were "relaxed" rather than "tightened"?

Hypothetical: Let's say, under current conditions, 100 extremely troubled, deprived and / or psychologically disturbed children are immediately adopted from Russia, or "overseas" in general, using today's screening techniques.

This implies an unlimited supply and demand, pretty much the way it is today, at least for toddlers and below.

In this scenario, 1%, or one of a hundred, end up in a situation similar (or worse) than that of the OP. Hell, let's say 5%. Even so, out of the remaining 95, it would seem to be safe to assume that something close to, yet less than 95% of the 95 children referenced are not returned, thrown to the streets, or murdered directly or indirectly as a result of said adoptions. From there, it's a pretty easy correlation, if 5-6% are returned, murdered or otherwise disposed of, than ~95% are left in the original adopters'(?) supervision. Presumably, allowing for a substantial margin of error, at least 80% of those have landed in an "acceptable" home. [or maybe not - anyone have any "real" statistics?]

Now, I have not researched this, but my "common sense" would tell me that a couple willing to spend serious (5-6 figures) amounts of money plan one of two things: To take very, very good care of that child, or to seriously and severely abuse the child, probably for money or sexual exploitation. Don't forget that some of those 5-6 children would have been "abused" anyway...

So which is worse? Relax the laws, allowing for thousands more children to be adopted (knowing that at least some of them will be abused, maltreated, etc. - vs turn a blind eye and ensure [probabilistically at least] that thousands will be starved, abused and killed on their native soil.) Should we give them a chance here? (In the US, UK, Australia, etc) Or leave them be, wherever and in whatever condition they might be at the moment. Intervene, or not to intervene?

In either event, some children will be molested and killed. Let me say that again: No matter which course you choose to pursue, some of these children will be molested and killed. No ifs, buts or ands...

Picking back up on the statistics, and without going all scientific and dry, it would seem to me that a pool of women that at least "think" they want to be mothers" statistically offers a better chance to any individual child than that pool which wishes them harm - for whatever reason - that wished "abortion" (OMG, there's that word again

) , or wishes them harm / elimination post-birth).

So, it's kind of like a chess game - be careful for "unintended consequences" - cause they are out there, and they will bite you in the ass. Personally, I think we should streamline the adoption process, reducing it to some cursory interviews / inspections and go from there. After all, if the adoption process can beat the (apparently) entirely whimsical and capricious process currently in place for foster care and adoption, we've done better than mainstream America. Not a fact to take lightly...

Agree or disagree?

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

A couple of thoughts on this:

It is relatively common knowledge that many - most - children in Russian orphanages have major problems of one kind or another. They do have one thing going for them as far as many Americans are concerned though - they are white where as most children in American orphanages are black or Latino.

A single person in their 20's who wants desperately to adopt a child may have some issues to contend with. Adopting a child when you have not been able to establish and maintain a long term working relationship with another adult should be a warning flag to any governmental agency involved.

Unfortunately, I am not very surprised that she figured she could just return him like a blouse she didn't care for after wearing it a few times. This is how many Americans have become in the last few decades - self centered, lazy, willfully ignorant and uncaring about others. I encounter them in traffic every day, they do as they wish regardless of who gets hurt. All that is important to them is to get to Micky - D's for that hot latte they desire at this moment, and they will run down a pedestrian to get it 30 seconds quicker. Throwing away a child they no longer want is congruent with this type of mentality.

A child with issues needs help to cope and resolve those issues. Acting out (lighting fires, making threats etc) can be re-channeled into positive activities, and violence is never the correct technique to employ with that.

21. kira Valued Senior Member

The 7 years old Justin Hansen (Artyom Savelyev) that was sent back alone to his homeland:

Link to video.

Poor child, he had to go through all that. That's what happened when a troubled kid met mentally ill irresponsible adults.

As for the other parent in the OP, it's not the kid that can't "fit in" in their life style. It's the couple that are not fit to be parent.

The response from the Russian government:

MOSCOW — A top Russian official demanded that all child adoptions by U.S. families be frozen Friday after a woman from Tennessee shipped her 7-year-old adopted Russian grandson on a one-way flight back to Moscow all alone.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the actions by the grandmother, Nancy Hansen of Shelbyville, "the last straw" in a string of U.S. adoptions gone wrong, including three in which Russian children had died in the United States. The cases have prompted outrage in Russia, where foreign adoption failures are reported with gusto.

The Russian education ministry immediately suspended the license of the group involved in the adoption — the World Association for Children and Parents, a Renton, Washington-based agency — for the duration of an investigation. In Tennessee, authorities were investigating the adoptive mother, Torry Hansen.

Read more

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There's more to this than we know about. From what I read the boy has mental problems that the adoptive mother wasn't told about when she adopted him. That wasn't a very nice thing to do to an adoptive parent I'd say. Once she found out , she wanted to not have the problems he would have given her.

Why couldn't they find Russians willing to adopt their own kids? :shrug:

23. Bells Staff Member

That's kind of beside the point though.

The point here is that she put this child on a plane completely alone.. with $200 to give to someone she found on the internet, to pick him up and drive him to the Ministry of Education in Moscow.

This child didn't even have any luggage. It was probably just the clothes on his back.

What the hell kind of person does this to a small child. He's 7. He apparently didn't even know where he was going when she put him on the plane. And finding someone on the net to pick him up? She's lucky the individual wasn't some kind of paedophile. She didn't contact any Russian officials or the people who handled the adoption to let them know. She told noone until that child would have landed there. She could have called them so that they could send someone to pick this child up. But no, she didn't even do that. And she comments that there was a lot of yelling when they called her? The mind boggles..

That child or the poor child adopted by the Dutch couple are not commodities that can be traded and returned when one is not satisfied or if the child doesn't fit in with their lifestyle.

I'd like to know how she qualified for the adoption in the first place. I'd like to know which lawyer gave her the advice she took before she made the arrangements to return that poor kid like he was a faulty TV. I'd like to know why she didn't just contact social services or the adoption agency who handled her case.. So many why's.