Wolv1's questions about causality and particles

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Wolv1, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Mr.TopSecret Registered Member

Everything that was said to be impossible in the past, have become possible through time, experience, and knowledge.

Examples:
    Earth is not flat, Earth is not in the center of the universe, traveling to the moon, traveling to mars and beyond, we broke the sound barrier, aircraft, we split the atom.

I can keep going on and on. These few things I mentioned would have been though of ludicrous in the past and in the ancient days. Even though time travel right nowseems impossible and it pretty much is impossible right now, but whos to say that it is completeley impossible. Just look how much technology we gained in just a hundred years. Mind boggling.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Everything?
    Telepathy, telekinesis, flying by just flapping your arms, making piles of gold just by waving a magic wand, transmutation of elements through chemistry, talking to the dead...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There's reasons for why some things become possible and some things will remain impossible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

I once conjectured that M-theory will eventually mean that anything will be possible - anything imaginable will no longer be restricted by silly old causality and a monotonic time-dimension.

However, this will mean that no conjecture will be possible, because it will already be necessarily true, therefore no meaningful (or precise) questions will be available in the M-theory universe (or rather, all answers will not be impossible).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Quite a HUGE difference between all those things and time travel !!! Our knowledge of science in general, and physics in particular, has grown by leaps and bounds. And there's currently NOTHING on the most remote horizon to indicate the possibility of time travel - or being able to exceed the speed of light, for that matter.

Despite the blind faith that so many under-educated people have in technology, it will always have limits and boundaries. For a simple example: would you ever expect us to reach temperatures below absolute zero?

Didn't think so.

And besides that, just what form of perverted logic would even lead you to think that we could travel to a "sometime" that doesn't even exist anymore???

One final comment: pop science literature along with science fiction and movies have corrupted an entire generation's thinking along true scientific lines. While science fiction can be entertaining (I enjoy it very much) and even inspirational at times, the damage it does to the the minds of the population in general (about real science) is quite sad. Far too many lack what's needed to be able to sort fact from fiction.

8. CheskiChips Banned Banned

M-Theory will never reach anything of value until a convenient notation is reached. Until that point there seems to be no mathematical way to arrive at physical predictions without having inherent full understanding of them and their results before hand.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This thread has been moved to Pseudoscience

The reason I've moved it here is because as a Standard, Science doesn't currently treat Time Travel as being likely and having statements like "People use to think the Earth was flat and it's been proven it isn't now" are non-sequitur's.

Currently any "Theories" in regards to Time Travel are classed as Fringe Science and border very closely on complete Pseudoscience. Since we do not have a "Fringe" subforum, we have to make do with Pseudoscience.

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere once that it would be impossible to travel to a time before the said time machine existed. Somewhere in a Michio Kaku book.

11. Mr.TopSecret Registered Member

Howdy.

I just didnt think it was right to say that it never will be possible. Lets just say that we are still here on this rock in another 100,000 years. Think how far we have gone in just a 100 years. What we think is impossible now, could very well be possible or at least plausible in the far,far,far future if we are still here. Right now and for a long time, it is impossible to do such thing. We just do not know what the future holds and will bring. Im neutral when it comes to this, im just not going to say that it is never going to happen.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And a big Howdy right back.

I understand what you mean and it's generally a good position to take. However, we HAVE learned enough physics to know that certain things are impossible and always will be. For example, the two things I mentiond: going to a temperature less than absolute zero and going back to a 'sometime' that simply no longer exists. Since it isn't there anymore, how can one 'go' to it?

Also as I mentioned, many people have FAR to much faith in what technology can do. There are limits and boundaries that will always be there - no matter how hard we wish and dream that they weren't.

13. Mr.TopSecret Registered Member

If it was to happen in the far, far future, we will not be here to see it happen anyways.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

http://www.johntitor.com/

For shits and giggles...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2209280/travel-possible-months

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Gentlemen, I am appalled. (Especially at you Read-only.) Time travel to the past is neither physically or philosphically prevented. Umpteen physicists from Feynman onwards have recognised this. Read-Only's contention that "how could we visit something that no longer exists"? demonstrates he adheres to a particular view of time that is not the only viable view of time, yet he adheres to this exclusively.
    The thread merits in being in pseudoscience for the weak objections made to it, not for the notion that it may be possible.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Perhaps that's my one Rube position in the world of physics, Oph?

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's prevented Ophiolite, here's a very simple reason why.

Lets say I am an Amateur "Timelord", As a hobby I theories, study and debate very much into time travel and this is the reason for moving the thread to pseudoscience to begin with.

One of the first things you have to take into consideration is the "Patent" for time travel. technically a Patent is only protected from the point that the Patent starts from. This causes a slight problem because if a foreign government, company or conspiracy group of individuals was to steal the blueprints. They could potentially go back through time and put the "Patent" (And research work) down as theirs (Without actually doing any work).

So technically if you become a Timelord the first thing to do is identify how to protect your investment. The only way to do that of course is to generate something similar to a firewall that stops any Time Travelling. This way the only person that could transverse Time would in fact be the inventor of this firewall and the inventor of Time travel itself.

Since Notion is but the birth and It's pretty much my Idea to make such a firewall, it basically means that any "group" time travel experiment will only work with my consent and involvement.

Currently no one has asked for consent (and my funding is none existent) so currently it's not possible. (I am of course interested in seeing the creation of a group similar to that of how CERN works, obviously though it although it would be appreciated to have the support of the layman, it would require real Physicist's, Mathematicians and other Scholar's to be the majority makeup. As well as the funding itself and group makeup would have to be Multinational.)

I even know which place the necessary proof would exist on the completion of such a project, but I can't mention any more on that.

18. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

This is just false. I agree that the thread contents has wandered a little into the pseudoscience arena, but you can have perfectly legitimate conversations about closed timelike curves in the setting of mainstream GR.

A shame.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Hey it's here an you won't have the censoring for it going off topic while people try to debate, discuss or theorise they way around things. It's not a problem unless it's made one.

20. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid I don't understand your post. I've simply pointed out that it's perfectly possible to have a sensible discussion about this area in the setting of mainstream General Relativity - something you might not have been aware of!

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's possible however as soon as the discussion of evidence arises it jumps straight to fringe Science. Since the evidence is speculative.

22. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Lots of science is speculative - see string theory. But this is now meandering away from my point, I've simply corrected your:

Currently any "Theories" in regards to Time Travel are classed as Fringe Science

which is patently false.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

OKay then Prove it exists? No evidence makes it fringe or of course Pseudoscience. However in a nutshell it's ridiculous to argue these finer points when if the argument is "Time travel exists" why not prove it Yesterday?