Wittgenstein and life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tnerb, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

I'm interested in L. Wittgenstein.
    I want to know what relevance he has to lifes.
    I'm curious about his truth for people and responsibility.

What's Wittgenstein all about?

Anyone care to talk?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

This can include others; ...what's his name... Ayer? I don't know, the language dudes!
    Anyway, previous still holds-

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

What's he all about??

The goal of philosophy is the clarification of our thoughts through the analysis of language.

That's it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

LOL
    So that's it.

8. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

He is about reducing the variables to a manageable level for the human mind, to keep unknowns and unproveables from muddying up our equations.
    On one level this is great, on another foolish...
    you decide which.

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

I decide that it's great.
    But tell me how he could have in-pact on me for example.

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

He sed:

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

The thing is, how does one figure out whether something is unspeakable, or not ...

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I have had many shared 'weird' experiences where those present have all without discussion or dialogue observed the 'unspeakable' rule. Just a glance of acknowledgement that we all saw, heard, experienced, but that it was not something we wanted to verbalise or rationalise, merely forget.

I guess when something is 'unspeakable' its generaly relating to something you wish to imagine never took place, or the topic again is something you wish didn't manifest in reality. Something that either disgusts you, shakes your belief system or frightens you.

meanwhile :

unspoken rules:
    from web
    "Unspoken rules are behavioral constraints imposed in organizations that are not voiced or written down. They usually exist in unspoken and unwritten format because they form a part of the logical argument or course of action implied by tacit assumptions. Examples involving unspoken rules include unwritten and unofficial organizational hierarchies, organizational culture, and acceptable behavioral norms governing interactions between organizational members."

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  12. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

To solidify your own feelings of the sensibility of throwing out undefinable variables, you read some dead guy who was respected by many people and you attach the value of that to the value of your ideas which run along the same lines.
    That is how you can let him impact your life.
    I personally decided that it is foolish, but would never say that it is foolish to act as though it were not foolish, but rather quite pragmatic. I just can't do it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  13. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

He wasn't talking about something you don't want to speak of, but rather something you aren't qualified to speak of, i.e. unprovable concepts - things which he apparently thought shouldn't be admitted into serious conversation.
    I think not being able to reduce the variables, can result in a feeling that your belief system is inherently shaky, along with everyone else's, and that is scary to most people. I know it scared me for a while. Now I feel a sense of awe - of the complexity and beauty of the human mind.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

re unprovable concepts, well this is kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned my 'wierd' experiences, we unanimously did not speak of them as we couldn't explain them, didn't believe in them, it wasn't possible to observe what we observed, and so we decided it 'didn't ' happen and therefore not discussed. Ie, unprovable concept? perhaps? maybe I misunderstand?

Certainly very careful who I would now impart this information to and even then preferably only when one of the other witnesses is present to verify what happened, but even then its difficult as the desire to amend and omit to suit our 'view' of reality is compelling, but sometimes you just have to tell it how it is.

15. perplexity Banned Banned

The Moderators have got me on a 30 percent warning level at E-Sangha,
    ten for "what a shit", ten for "see my prick", and ten for something else terribly unspeakable, whatever it was.

Each to his own reduction of variables, I suppose.

--- RH.

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

There is no "beauty of the human mind" cole; we each sit here sensitively unconsciously knowing that we are a peice for each other.
    It's all hard.

17. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Huh?
    There is no beauty in the sunny blue sky out side my window either, a sky which i am about to step out under, and am going to have a feeling of awe over.
    If you are making a point, please explain it.

18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Does *predicted* awe
    qualify for awe at all?

19. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

as long as you aren't thinking about the experience while you are having it, it is the experience, and pure. I am not talking about the totally mind blowing, primitive, shocking, type of awe (like this

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), just simple-minded appreciation, (like this

).

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

[You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.]

So:

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

not

Is what I wanted to say.

22. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

But I'm talking about pure non-thinking appreciation, on a very deep level. I wasn't talking about everyday appreciation, but a very special event I was looking forward to. Seeing the clear sky more than once a week is beyond description at this point - my feeling about spring and the rebirth of my immediate environment classifies as awe, I think.

23. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

There's nothing low or horrible about appreciating superficial beauty. It's pleasing, and what's pleasing is good