Witnessing Evolution

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Red Devil, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Due to the efforts of mankind I believe we are now witnessing a speeding up of evolution. For centuries the seabird has frequented the coastal regions of our countries, coming "inland" only when stormy. Nowadays, using the UK as an example, these birds are now commonly found in the middle of this island, miles from the sea, living and breeding on mans deposits. Similarly the fox, a rural animal, is now more commonly found in urban areas than in the countryside; again as a result of man. In the USA, similar stories of animals usually associated with the "wilds" are now living side by side with mankind. The seabird will eventually lose its webbed feet as a consequence I would imagine! Normal birdlife, so prevalent when I was younger, is losing its foothold to a dramatic increase in Magpies, Seabirds and he more common scavengers of the air. Numbers of the "common" birds are falling alarmingly. The Magpie is a really nasty piece of work. Where my wife works, they had a "pet" robin and blackbird which would come to them for breakfast each day. Magpies killed them and their young and left them lying on the nearby roof! Do you, out there, have similar stories of note?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

It will <b>if</b> it has a mutant gene to do so, <b>and</b> this mutation enhances it survival over seagulls without the mutant gene. And if this happens then it will no longer be a seagull AFAIK.

What you are referring to is not evolution. It is just the creatures being opportunistic and exploiting a resource.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. I agree that the post does not seem to be referring to evolution but it could be true that due to the efforts of mankind there are now different opportunities to witness evolution in action.

Take the classic case of the peppered moth population changing it's coloration depending on the levels of pollution on tree bark.

Also the case of heavy metal tolerant grasses around mines adapting to their new environment.

These are maybe more to the point, and should be the kind of stories of note that could fill up this thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

haluci - thingy!

Yeah right! wot you said !!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!