Wisdom - Something to think about....

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, May 25, 2008.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

"Without wisdom, knowledge is like a ship without a rudder, waiting for the foolish winds of self delusion to run it against the rocks" ~anon

I would tend to add to this and say that without wisdom knowledge has the capacity to be not only "rudderless" or directionless but used deliberately in a way that can only lead to self defeat and self destruction. Thus is the nature of self delusion.
    Therefore the true power of knowledge can only be gained with the use of wisdom.

It should be in my opinion a mandatory subject in schools for all ages. Wisdoms taught and self derived and searched for. For it is only with a wise community that the world will achieve sustainable success.

Common sense and rational are premised on wisdoms in fact sanity and wisdom can only be considered as parrallel and indespensible companions.

To think sanely is to think wisely.
    To act sanely is to act wisely.
    To act wisely is to act in your own long term best interests.
    "The wisest path is always the best path" ~QQ

Care to discuss?

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But with who's wisdom? Eastern philiosophy or Western, Capitalistic , Communistic or other?:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

He said it plainly enough CT: The wisest path is the best path meaning, from your own experience incorperate knowledge from wisdom.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

thats the question...hmmmm what is the wisest path? hmmmmmm any one know how to derive that?
    Got something to do with sustainable success I reckon....

8. Tnerb Banned Banned

What is this "sustainable success".
    Probably you're just talking about human nature.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

example:
    "For over 50,000 years the indigenous tribes of Australia [ Aboriginal] survived in relative harmony with their environment, an apparent wisdom to remain simple and nomadic, sustainable however not. Their lack of wisdom showed when confronted with white invasion in the form of the British in the late 1700's and now they are a lost race with neither home nor nation."
    However the Australian Government has shown a lack of wisdom in how they deal with inter-racial crimes of the past by allowing an ethical wound to fester and propogate within their nation."

For Australia to achieve sustainable peace within it's own borders this issue must be reconciled with great wisdom.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

As the icecaps melt and the sea water rises, as fresh water salinates and cops fail, as air can't be breathed and temperatures rise, as bodies fail with cancers and other chronic conditions, mankind must seriously consider how unsustainable his success has been so far....
    A questionable wisdom for sure

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What a coincidence, I was just going to start a thread on wisdom. Today's "Beakman and Jax" in the comics section responded to the question:
    The answer was lovely.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

nice...very nice...

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why not combine them with a discussion from ALL viewpoints to understand everyones own wisdom that could be used together to come up with a "unified" wise understanding . :shrug:

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

good idea!

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But who are the wisest of each area of thought? Are their names that can be found that could be notified and combined someday?

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There are probably five or so key wisdoms that everything else springs from.
    one I know of woudl be the simple wisdom of:
    "Do unto others as you woudl have done to yourself" as a life wisdom it seems to be all encompassing as a way of relating however it is limited due to the apparent fact that all people are conditioned to limit their potentials as humans thus this wisdom is limited by our very own ignorance of what we would like to have dione to our selves which is based on our conditioning.

So the second wisdom may be:
    "Never assume complete knowledge or understanding of self." or
    "Know thy conditioned limitations so that you can guage or see your potentials beyond those limitations"

and so on...

I am sure a small tree of wisdom coudl be generated that could provide strong leadership....
    Shall do a search for tree of wisdom and see what comes up...

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Good idea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Through my 60+ years, I've come to the conclusion that wisdom, like intelligence, is something that can be neither taught or learned. In fact, the two are tightly related. Someone either has them or they don't - it's as simple as that.

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Heraclitus, I demand of you:

Define wisdom.

We shall then discuss your premises from that definition, for the concept is meaningless as it stands.

Also, PM me. It is time we resumed our experimentation.

20. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

The wise man listens instead of talking.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Then it can't be "taught" can it?

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That is correct. Just like intelligence - it cannot be taught (or learned) either.

You've either got 'em or you don't.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Like with most things life experience itself is the greatest teacher abiet the most painful as well. The purpose of schools for children and adults is to reduce the pain needed to learn lessons by paasing on lessons already learned by someone prior.

Wisdom can be taught quite easilly but learning it can be an awful lot harder...a contradiction! OMG for sure!