Wireless modem healthissues

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here comes the funny part: First I tried to block the radiowaves by rolling aluminium foils around the antenne, but didn't help at all. Then I covered the modem itself and it was still broadcasting like hell...

So much for the tinfoil hat theory....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Aluminium != Tin

There is something you could try doing, rather than having a broadcast you could try narrowing it down into a receptive/broadcast cone.

There was an ad-hoc method rigged up for people fishing for wifi connections originally, since there setup's didn't have an old fashion Citizen Band (CB) squelch dial, they would utilise apparatus like old pringles tubes to fit their antenna's in.

Pringle's tubes were used because of their internal metallic coating and with the right jury rigging it allowed the tube to be pointed in a direction to identify the source of the wifi reception.

I think you could do an adaption on this and create a way for your router to broadcast in the direction that you point it. Of course it would then require either two people to trial and Error it into the right position, or you'd have to do some sophisticated Mathematics to work out the relevant angles on your own.

(If you are interested in making such a device, I would suggest looking into the 2600 material)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, my house is over three floors, and I have wireless so I can use my laptop and PDA, when I'm not in my office, which is on the top floor.

If I was concerned about having the WiFi router near me though, I'd move it. While on my desk, all my laptops are wired anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Moving is not really an option, because right now it is nicely tucked away, and the wiring is managed too. I could put it under the bed, but then I am closer to it when I am sleeping. Any other place in the room would be messy and unsigthly....

I think some modems have a button on it to quickly turn on/off the broadcasting, but I guess doing it online is fast enough...(takes about 5 secs now)

I am still curious about the health issues, but i couldn't find anything definiate on it. I guess time (and glowing balls and braindamage) will tell...

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Read a medical mag once that was looking into these sorts of things and it mentioned a curious study that concluded that there is little risk, unless the person is stressed, then the effects are amplified

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So smoking pot is better deffense than aluminium cover?

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

From what I remember from electronics school (please correct me if I'm wrong): You can determine the wave length of a given frequency with a quick a dirty formula. 600 million divided by the frequency will give you an approx. wavelength in feet. 600m / 2.4 Ghz = .25 feet or 3 inches..hence the length of the antenna. From what I also understand, the power is distributed along the full wave length equally. With such a low power output, 1/10th of a watt....and a fairly long wavelength, I just don't see it having much effect on you. You're already being bombarded daily by other radio signals of much more power.

I think when wavelengths start getting as small as a human cell, that's when they really get dangerous.

Edit: You need to ground your aluminum foil hat to get true protection from alien mind beams.

Or....you could retrofit a garment like this:

with the technology of static-bag hats:

Problem solved.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.