Wireless electricity. Our Furture or not...?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by BumpMan, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Inverse square law...

inverse square law only applies in vacuum. You need to look up Friitz radar equation....basically attenuation is a function of frequency, distance, and medium. It has nothing to do with the antenna type.

The type of antenna affects the directivity and efficiency, but it doesn't affect the attenuation. The size of the transmittor and receptor are also very important. The frequency has to be very high if you don't want the size to be enormous. High frequency means a lot of path loss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Mmmm, just nitpicking, but thats not right; the rule that radiation diminishes with the square of the distance applies to omnidirectional radiation, regardless of medium. The medium (like vacuum or air) has of course also influence on the propagation, but thats an independent factor. Directional radiation diminishes according to how well its directed; in theory the loss from spreading could be made zero, but of course, the medium might still induce losses.

Hans

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John MacNeil Registered Senior Member

Solar power is the way of the future. The only reason that it's not the dominent power source now is because it is best utilized for individual applications. That would mean that each homeowner would supply their own power and the parasitic power companies would have to find a different line of work. The technology for efficient solar power production has been available for a long time, like twenty some year, at least. The governments and the military use it extensively because it is so reliable and cost effective. After all, what power source can ever be cheaper than free?

The big power companies have been buying up a lot of the solar power technology and basically shelving it so that solar power doesn't take off in a big way and put them out of business. If you want to know more about the history of solar power and it's present uses, John Perlin wrote a good book about it titled 'From Space To Earth' c.1999.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. HallsofIvy Registered Senior Member

I THINK you mean "germanium". I tried making a radio out of a geranium once but it wilted!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I never was good at spelling...

9. bentley k. frog Registered Member

sorry for being a bit naive, but;

aren't solar panels only efficient for about 15 years?
    and in their production do they not emit some dangerous greenhouse gases?

ohhh, and didn't Tesla experiment with a 1.5 MW system in 1899 and find that the pulses of electricity that he sent out theoretically passed across the entire globe, returning with reletively "undiminished strength"?

10. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

bentley, thank you for pointing out life expectancy and production considerations. So often ignored. Another funny thing about solar energy is the batteries the system requires to be "efficient". They also come with life expectancy and production considerations. And then you have the system to point the array which is often driven by freon. As long as production and disposal is in someone else's backyard, one can feel environmentally friendly.

As for wireless electricity, it seems to me Joeman has a realistic view ie: It's unrealistic. From a layman's pov , wouldn't you have to have a constant lightning bolt (ionized air) flowing to the load and then what would keep that from finding the path of least resistance to ground before reaching it's load? Or if using an ungrounded system, where would your return path be?

Microwave conversion... Wouldn't the load have to be relatively light to make this idea feasible and "safe"? I'll have to look into that one...

Welcome to Tumortown, USA.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

12. axawire Registered Member

HHmm, i know this thread is probably dead but... i was under the impression that electric feild from charges drop off as 1/r^2 but when you cause electrons to osscilate you create an osccilating electric field which then also creates an osscilating magnetic field and this falls of as 1/r and thats why electro magnetic radiation (including visble light) can travel so far... thats why we can see the stars. But the medium the electro magnetic radiation travels through can also obsorb the radiation... resulting in further power loss.

another note to someone that said you need to beam electrons.... you dont have to. You just need to get the electric field there.

generally the higher the frequency of the electromagnetic radition the more power you will be able to utalize when it reaches the destination. probably why they have tried using microwaves... but i would have thought as air as quite a bit of moisture in it using microwaves would not be higher enough... cause you would loose alot of energy to heating water molecules in the air...

13. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

That depends on the frequency, of course. When you're looking down in the high-UHF range around 1300-2000MHz or so, you don't get a whole lot of attenuative effects from atmospheric anomalies, including meteorologic ones. So that makes the L and C bands good for power transmission.

However, as you aptly put, the longer the wavelenth the less energy it can carry. A shorter sine wavelength has an inherently higher energy level due to the RMS voltage being, on average, higher over a given timeframe.

So it's really a dichotomy between the two, where the happy median is entirely dependent upon the medium through which you intend to propagate the energy in question. Of course, in outer space, this is not an issue at all.

Edit: hey, you're new here, so welcome aboard.

14. philocrazy Banned Banned

according to my calculations
    laser light could be used to
    wireless tranport electrical
    energy through space

Philosopher Philocrazy

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

a while ago they managed to develop o teleporter which they used to trasnport a single electron, it took a hell of a lot of power to do that though, unless we have loads of spare power or a less power consuming device it would not be economical

16. cyberoidx Registered Member

Instead of having wireless electricity, i believe we will have miniature batteries and power generators in every house (or appliance itself). Sounds easier, practical and believeable. How would u avoid bieng shocked by your wireless electricity??

17. Alsophia Theophilos Registered Senior Member

According to Edgar Cayce, the pyramid took certain very powerful cosmic rays, stripped off the electric and magnetic fields, and then beamed "whatever" was left into the earth's core (at the bottom of the great pyramid there IS a pit), thereby generating in the atmospere (coils of the magnet) energy of a certain frequency that could be tuned into as we understand radios, thereby supplying energy for the whole planet. Since the electric and magnetic fields of a ray are always at 90 degrees to one another, and the pyramid is a square whose sides slope outward at the ratio of pi, an irrational number, and the pyramid was constructed of granite, a quartz, and was sheathed in limestone, a dielectric, there could be something to it. Once entering the pyramid, the fields, if polarized, could possibly reflect off the opposing sides and in some way be "stripped" off.
    Just a passing crazy thought. Beats the heck out of burning fossil fuels.

18. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i really don't get how that's supposed to work, don't you get a bunch of photons if you strip the electric and magetic fields our of cosmic rays? and how are you supposed to just "beam" them into the earth's core? and even if you did do that, whay if you did something wrong and caused a real-life enactment of "The Core"!? Maybe it'd be easier to make a kind of solar panel that ran of not only visible light waves, but the whole electromagnetic spectrum. gamma, x-ray, infared, microwave, visible, ultraviolet, radio, (am i missing anything?), all this in a single solar array in space where it can harvest the hard radiation, should make loads of power, right? That seems to be the only problem with solar on earth, it just doens't make enough! especially if you get cloud-cover for a few days.
    wireless transmission might work in space, but on earth, it'd probably be more practical to just make better batteries. Something that I heard about, a Quantum Nucleonic Reactor. Airforce wants to put these things into drone planes, they seem to make alot of power, but i can't find exact figures. get a small one of those in your laptop, maybe run on it for a month before "recharging" it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.