Windows XP Sucks

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bobby Lee, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I've been using XP pro for a long time too and I'm not going back, it kicks ASS. To me, it's like they finally created a fully functional OS. Wow. It's very stable (though crashes occasionally on hardware locks). I'm somewhat shocked that all you people are bitching about it. It runs awesome on my machine. Oh, I get it.

All you people who are having problems with it: Your hardware SUCKS!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sankuro Registered Senior Member

Tangent: Zone Alarm firewall. I'm using version 3.7. Is 2.x really better, or was 3.0 just bugged somehow?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

3.0 totally destroyed my network and messed up all registry and I am no newbie
    duno about the newest versions

I use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro now, it has its' flaws, but in overall it's not a bad choice at all

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I use Zone Alarm too - no problems with mine.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it was stupid of me to put on a beta version firewall then :shakes head:
    was eager to try

btw- Norton Firewall is not bad, but it misses many Windows XP services

9. norad Registered Senior Member

XP is not the most secure system built by microsoft. I'm not sure where you heard that. It's obvious you haven't gone to Gibson Research Corporation's website. Go to www.grc.com. I suggest you read everything throughly, especially the part where Steve Gibson speaks with Microcrap's security guy! Even he admits it's the least secure OS microcrap ever put out! Go figure!

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'm much happier with Xp that I was with 98, that's for sure.

I have a spare machine with Win2K Pro, and Red Hat on it. 2000 seems fine, but one of my favorite games wouldn't run properly, and it does on XP. Red Hat just sits there. I don't have the incentive to learn to use it. Sort of like a sighted person trying to learn Braille.

I run XP anti Spy when I install XP. You can do all of the registry tweaks manually I'm sure, but it would certainly take me longer.
    http://www.xp-antispy.org/

Here is a good site for XP tweaks, http://www.blackviper.com/ .

Foul thingsup? Here is a good help site,
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm .

XP Professional does what I want it to do, and is a very stable OS for me.

11. GuitarToadster Packin' six-string heat! Registered Senior Member

Don't have it, never will.

When it comes time to move up to 64-bit CPUs I will switch completely to Linux (since Linux has had 64-bit compatability for a while now).

I have window$ 98 SE running now, works fine for me... window$ 2000 Pro was ok but didn't run much better than 98 and annoyed me with some of it's dumb quirks (like all M$ products).

There is no way I will buy another window$ disk, certainly not since M$ won't allow you to install on more than one computer (I have 4... soon to be 5)... that is bullshit, giving rights to computers....

Anyone who has XP and the system is sluggish, it is because you must have AT LEAST 256 MBs of RAM to run it... 512 would be better. Otherwise you better start removing programs from your system tray and disabling some background proggies.

Enjoy your daily updates, folks, I have never and never will download any security updates from M$... and anti-virus? What is that? Don't bother with them either. Been online for many, many years and have never had a virus. Don't do stupid things (like opening exe files from emails or open emails from someone you don't know, duh!) or leave your computer connected and left running for long periods of time. Hehehee, anti-virus! Worried about virus'? Use Linux.

Mandrake is still my favorite OS to date.

12. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

13. ya'll seem to have major probs, i installed cracked xppro from kazaa of all places and the 1st thing i did was NAV and spybot/adaware

result=2spyware
    no viruses

all the friggn critical updates is annoying though

14. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

Windows Xp Home Edition Sucks Ass, Windows Xp Pro Kicks Ass.

15. GigaBaud Registered Member

<$.02>Everyone who said that XP Pro kicks ass, I agree with completely. I've also heard countless stories of it being "unstable" or "slow as hell," "piece of shit OS," etc...
    Point is, I've been using XP Pro since the final build was released (always gotta have the pre-release, I mean, why wait?) and it's done a world of good for my PC...and it's DAMN STABLE too! I don't care what anyone else says, as far as I'm concerned, if it's unstable, or slow, then it's either your hardware, software settings, or lack of proper maintenence for your PC. </$.02>

16. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

The point with XP is that it is only as fast as your pc - same as broadband - you can only download as fast as the site you've gone into allows! I installed XP on a P3 500 - it was naff but stable. I put in a P4 MBoard with an athlone 1100+ chip and increased the memory from 256mb to 512mb and XP is swimming with the sharks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.