Windows project long horn

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by RickyH, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Ok well im going to start this list but im not going to give the full list seeing as that would take hours possibly day's.

1. 5 star support....compared to linux's readme's
    2. several media programs that can be used for such as movie editiing, song editing, media players, and ect. i must admit linux has very decent stuff with this but not as good as microsoft's
    3. Massive update server... much better then linux could ever possibly beat
    4. Affective security center, with constant updates
    5. Easy to use interface, very strong compatibilty to 90% of the online world

if you want more then fine no problem... but the fact is microsoft is better then linux for most use's

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

1. 5 star? bwhahaha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

right... , besides I don't need any more than an occasional community support, all the answers are in forums, but one can always purchase an official support from Novell, Red Hat or Mandriva
    2. Do all that stuff on Linux. Actually there's a whole LIVE cd distribution dedicated to media work. MediainLinux // I didn't know that MS has any media software apart from its' sluggish Windows Media Player and a few miserable wave editing apps.
    3. You must be kidding, nothing is compared to S.M.A.R.T., and apt-get beats all that MS offers and I haven't even touched Gentoo universe with its' emerge everything.
    4. And we all know how SECURE is Windows

5. Easy to use doesn't mean better, besides I can do all that I need on Linux with closed eyes.

I don't need to see any more to know that you are uninformed, ignorant and a MS fanboy

Oh, and:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Well im not gonna really insult you, because seeing as the basic linux user's look somthign like this
    http://humorprovider.0catch.com/pics/linux_nerds.jpg
    http://www.pegasus3d.com/download/ilovelinux.jpg
    http://www.kaptainkrude.com/images/mimi.jpg

Plus with one password i can remotly control your linux system ...do you call that security?

Is it me or do all linux user's live in a fantasy world...
    Troll
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Trolls with an abducted princess (John Bauer, 1915)
    Enlarge
    Trolls with an abducted princess (John Bauer, 1915)

This page is about the trolls of folklore. For Internet trolls, see that article. For other uses of the word, see Troll (disambiguation).

A troll is a fearsome member of a mythical anthropomorph race from Scandinavian folklore. Their role ranges from fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of English fairy tales – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills or mounds, inclined to thieving and the abduction of humans which, in the case of infant abductees, was substituted with a changeling. They could also be known as hill-folk or mound-folk. In Shetland and Orkney tales, trolls are called trowe.

Nordic literature, art and music from the romantic era and onwards has adapted trolls in various manners – often in the form of an aboriginal race, endowed with oversized ears and noses. From here, as well as from Scandinavian fairy tales such as Three Billy Goats Gruff, trolls have achieved international recognition, and in modern fantasy literature and role-playing games, trolls are featured to the extent of being stock characters. Fantasy trolls, however, are highly stereotyped versions of their Scandinavian predecessors.

When you call me a troll are you saying that im a fictional creature.... you guys play to much dungeons and dragons

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Try it, my root pass is: (dr05hird!5)

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You should get a Mac then.

9. RickyH Valued Senior Member

http://piparmetra.net/outer_realms/images/IMG_3741.JPG
    http://piparmetra.net/outer_realms/images/IMG_3762-2.JPG
    http://eldo.piparmetra.net/d/1942-2/IMG_4189.JPG

Well, you still have to turn your ssh server and i have to waste my time with it

honestly i dont see what the point is sure linux can do just as much as microsoft but it takes a lot longer to get the techonlogy to do it.besides like i said i do use linux... to run server's i would rather not waste my time on the computer trying to make it work like windows does... its rather pointless...

To spurious i do have a mac. an old one though... dont use it much

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My last three pics submitted to sciforums picture thread, I'm so scared!!

Besides I use Linux exactly because it doesn't work like Windows does.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The only reason I have windows is because it supports more games. I'd rather have a stripped down version of windows though (even with a prompt command if possible) to play games.

There is just too much shit and that makes things too complex and vulnerable.

My computer is now logging in slowly because god knows what kind of settings have changed.

I would like a lean mean fighting OS!

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You can make your computer double bootable, i.e., if you don't play games THAT often, every time you want to play, you could reboot to Windows. Then you'd have the freedom to configure Windows just for playing games, i.e., all fancy GUI off, all unneeded processes, everything else that slugs down gaming experience.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What is a nice linux version? (btw)

14. RickyH Valued Senior Member

There really was no threat implied in those pictures.. more or less proving you are the stereotype linux user....

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's really a matter of choice, spurious

Any which fits to your style most.
    I myself use Mandriva Linux 2005, it's very good, rock stable, with excellent multimedia support. There is the new MDV2006, but it's not yet so stable as I and others would like it to be.
    So you can try MandrivaLinux 2005

Or you might prefer Ubuntu, which is easy to use too and has quite a good community support, just as Mandriva, but Mandriva has the easiest installer with a walkthrough here: http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html
    It's for 2006, but nothing has really changed much since 2005.

Then there is SUSE ( http://www.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org ) which is very nice and easy too.

You can check out those and others @ www.distrowatch.com
    You can download cd iso's there too.

p.s. Mandriva is based in France, Open SUSE is mostly in Germany and Ubuntu in the USA, but all have good language support whatever language you prefer.

Mandriva and SUSE are stronger in multilang though.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course, all stereotype Linux users study law, work (as - for money) as Taekwon-Do referees in national tournaments and particepate in creative writing contests.

17. RickyH Valued Senior Member

i suppose we will see how windows stacks up to linux when vista comes out

and anyways all of that is pretty lame man

18. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

You pretty much have just convinced me to intall linux on desktop.

All I really use it as is a media centre to output video to my tv via S-vid and downloading and burning Xbox games and whatnot.

Plus I have my laptop which ill keep running XP on. I never considered running linux on my desktop but the more i think about it the more it makes sense.

Quick question tho, im going to try out that distro that you use and it seems like its not as command line based as i thought linux was. It looks to me more like MacOS than anything else.

Also, it appears that their are some windows apps that i am going to have to use to connect to the xbox...can you reccomend any windows emulators that work well under linux, it appears to be the only way.

Thanks a lot. If you have any other links I should check out, i would really appriciate it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  19. RickyH Valued Senior Member

to be frank the odd's are the emulators might not exist for it but im not to sure it depends exactly what programs your looking for emulators of the xbox on the computer?

20. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

theirs a client that is used to connect to the xbox to do things such as move files and create backups.

the client only runs under windows

i know their are windows emulators for linux that can be used for small programs and whatnot

im just thinking about emulating windows so i can run the program that connects to the xbox

anyway, avatar, if you woulnt mind, id like to shoot you a pm and ask you a few things

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

sure, but better email me, the mail is in the profile, I have disabled PMing due to massive spam.
    will answer all your questions just when I get home in 5h or so

22. RickyH Valued Senior Member

23. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The average user is computer illiterate.

Also ricky, those screens are flashy yes, but to be flashy they use far too much resources. You can get the same amount of flashyness on XP by simply downloading windowblinds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.