Windows 98 shuts down

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Thanks Athelwulf...

Leopold, TV technology does not have any software to re-write every time a new signal is invented. It's simply hardware circuits. But to carrying your example further, should I be annoyed that my 20" CRT TV is not capable of displaying HDTV? Or maybe I should demand a cheap upgrade option so that I can get a square 20" plasma screen that work with the older circuits?

As I said before, the time has simply arrived that advancements in technology require better features in a computer operating system. Yes it is possible to make them compatible with Win98 but is it not economically feasible to do so. It therefore stands to reason that support can be phased out as no new issues should be arising.

Once more, if you don't subscribe to gadgetry, graphics and games you can retain your old PC system (see previous post).

Stryder has a good point though...and I think MS is listening since Vista is supposed to be released a multi-flavour structure inclusive of a "lite" version. I certainly hope so because Vista Beta is a supreme resource hog.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Where did you hear about the lite version, specifically? That's certainly good news to hear.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

ARSTechnica Vista Editions Article

Here's one preview article. It talks about the different editions which includes a very basic "Starter" edition. A step up from that is "Home Basic". But you get the idea...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

i use the tv example to show that it is indeed possible to introduce new technology without doing away with the old. and new signals do come along and they must be compatable with both color and b/w tv's. the two most recent signals are VIR and stereo sound. both of those signals must be received on color and b/w sets.
    the color signal is also transmitted in the same signal as b/w.

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Yes it is possible to introduce new technology without doing away with the old. But one example does not create a 100% applicable, hard and fast rule. . Neither does one example prove feasibility or wisdom for all situations.

Would you like to be the Microsoft project manager justifying a 400% increase in R&D, salaries and man hours to re-engineer Win98 when a perfectly good alternative exists in WinXP? On top of which...you CAN'T recoup those hypothetical expenses since all the Win98 users are expecting a "free patch". (Hint...you'd be fired on the spot if you tried)

Win98 has expired. Its returns are realised and its limits reached.

9. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Winsupersite Vista preview

Athelwulf, here's Winsupersite's latest preview on Vista editions

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

so was black and white

did you know that web hosts are trying to do away with right click save as?
    i guess that would be okay too.

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the links Enterprise-D.

How is that at all comparable to this topic?

12. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Yeah Microsoft's right, fuck these cheap bastards.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

LOL very succinct Muslim.

Leopold: web hosts are preventing "right click -> save as" on copyright photographs. While I personally find that a bit irritating, the owners of the websites have all rights to prevent the wanton copying of intellectual property.

Oh and by the way, that has been going on for like three years. Might even be more. It's just not popular yet.

(*whisper* besides which, it does not stop you from pressing Print Screen ... shhhh ... *conspiratorial look* :bugeye: )

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Or even File>Save as and find the file in the "***_Files" folder. Or use httrack or spiderzilla.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

i have invested alot of time, effort, and money on my collection of software that runs on winme. for me to have to reinvest all of that time, effort, money is nothing more than a money sucking operation.

the same applies to right click save as.

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Dude...leopold...tsk read a little bit of documentation :bugeye:

1. WinME is NOT Win98, support will continue for that.
    2. WinXP has what is called 'compatibility mode'. Even if a program HAS a native problem with WinXP (which most dont), you can set the executable to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode. In my experience the compatibility mode works perfectly.

3. "Right click -> save as" costs you nothing. The MENU option will still be there in Windows. It has however been effectively blocked for selected website content, simply to discourage intellectual property theft.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

win95, win98, winme is identical in internal makup the only difference is the first release of win 95.

granted, winme has more 'bells and whistles'

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Um...WinME is NOT identical to Win98. WinME might have been the next evolution to Win98 (that included useful features as Plug and Play).

However I was mistaken. WinME support is indeed discontinued. Unlucky :bugeye:

MS End of Support

Leopold...your software will more than likely port easily to WinXP. Antiviruses, firewalls, graphics software, office productivity etc are generally released to work with many flavours of Windows. I know of very few pieces of software that are exclusive to Win98/ME and even if there are, try one or two on a friend's computer on "compatibility mode" if you want to be sure. Although I can be reasonably certain you shouldn't have a problem.

Your hardware should not pose a problem either. All major device drivers were integrated into WinXP so you'll find popular nVidia, Creative, Intel, USR, HP, Realtek, 3COM etc etc etc devices will work on the fly.

I am of course making a guess that if your machine can handle WinME it is a recent enough purchase to take WinXP. 256MB RAM at least...

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

as soon as i find what i am looking for i will post it.

as far as the plug and play goes that was introduced in the second release of win95

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Win98 are most definitely different, their Coding was different. For instance on Win98 you might find the occasion problem come up complaining about a missing DLL file, winME was all VXD's.

I think that ME was actually a complete re-write of the windows code, although the likelihood is that multiple smaller kernel projects were probably conceived at MS and a decision to release each one because of the implied costs for R&D was probably taken.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

How does that spend so much of your time, effort, and money? Please be a little more explicit in your comparison.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah i guess it was kind of vague.
    i also agree that people have a right to protect their property.
    but on the other hand a user of the internet is going to save web pages. it's also in the interest of posterity that they do so.

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Try putting in a USB drive in Win95 OSR2 while it's running. Or a Creative Zen. The "plug and play" of Win95 or even 98 is a joke compared to XP.

Leopold, you're beating a dead horse. The mighty Microsoft has declared end of life on a product. Just like any other manufacturing company has the right to. Microsoft has placed many ease of migration strategies in XP, but that doesn't mean anyone is forced to upgrade. Individuals are free to make the choice of retaining their older OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.