Windows 98 shuts down

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164450.stm

70 million people are using your product and you shut down the support for it.

But is this their real motive???

But also said you should be cautious to go online with 98.

So...what do they really want you to do?

That's right. Buy a new PC and a new OS.

Consume. Consume. Consume.

I guess for some an option would be to go the linux route. But this won't even enter most people's minds.

In a way it is sad. All these old pieces of hardware are basically still working ok. Quality stuff...survivors. And then the richest bastards in the world are scheming to get rid of them and get even richer. And say fuck you to for instance the environment in the process.

How long is a company supposed to support a piece of software? Windows 98. It hit the market in June 1998. In 2000 ME was launched. Basically a buggy version of 98.
    1998-2006...that's 8 years. But XP wasn't introduced till 2001. You could still have bought 98 at this point in time and beyond it.
    So you could have had 98 for 5 years or even less.

Seems short to me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

As for now MS is in the position to do what they want and it's not that the old win boxes will stop working just as MS cancels their support (what support?).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Hmm...indeed...what support. So basically the whole press release was just free advertisment?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no idea, but I don't think that much will change in the lives of those still running win98/me.
    If some shit happens, there's always Linux to the rescue.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Should a company have to support every product it makes for ever? It's been 8 years, surely that's enough time?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I know very few individuals who have ever called Microsoft for support.
    I know very few businesses who run 8 year-old operating systems.
    Why should Microsoft be required to continue to support an old product forever?
    If you have an 8 year old TV, would you be outraged to find out that the manufacturer no longer makes the picture tube for it?
    If so, you would be a foolish person.

The rate of change of the industry and technology is driven by the consumer and his insatiable "need" for bigger/better/faster/more the companies are responding to that "need" and short attention span, not manufacturing it.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

i own a copy of win me and a pc that is 7 years old.
    when i purchase a new pc i will also have to purchase a new operating system.
    my old copy of win me will not work on the new pc's.

12. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

It'd be less of an issue if Microsoft would provide an OS that supported older hardware. Unless you're into graphics, movies, or state-of-the-art gaming, you don't really need a Pentium 4 with a gigabyte of RAM.

Also, if Windows 98 was so flawed that after 8 years it still needs patches and security updates, who's responsibility do you think it is to fix that?

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hello? Linux runs just great on old hardware, just use a lightweight desktop environment, like Fluxbox.
    There are many distros that are small and fast, not only multi cd giants like Fedora, Suse, etc.

14. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I know, and I'll be the last to complain if Microsoft's practices end up making Linux more popular. Still, some Windows users are going to feel pressured into buying newer hardware they may not really need because Microsoft insists on developing such a bloated OS. I don't agree with this.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

So, run 98, and everything is fine.

It's not a mtter of being flawed, it is a matter of people attacking the operating system.
    It is impossible to create an operating system with the foresight to know every new tool and technology that will be developed for use by hackers.
    It is a choice for Microsoft to offer free updates to address new threats, not their responsibility.
    They do it, for a limited time, as a way of increasing customer satisfaction, much like the warrantee on a car, but it goes a few steps further than a warrantee on a car, because it protects from more than simple malfunctions.
    If you own an eight year old car and someone creates a tool that theives can buy to plug into your car's ignition wiring harness, is it the car manufacturer's "respnonsibility" to update your car's wiring to circumvent that tool's effectiveness?
    Of course not.
    If it were, car manufacturers would go broke trying to keep up with all the tools available to make your car easier to steal.
    You bought a product.
    If that product breaks in the warrantee period (if the manufacturer decided to offer one) they will fix it.
    If someone steals your car or breaks into it, it is not the manufacturer's job to replace it.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Imo Vista is a joke. It eats up so much resources as if it were a 3D game of its' own.
    An OS should be as small as possible in order to give more space and power to the applications we run. Nobody runs an OS just to look at it, it's needed to run software.
    With Vista eating 1gb of ram (to use it smoothly) imagine how much ram you'd need to work with Photoshop, Autocad or just play some flashy game....
    Vista is an atrocity of an os.

17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Microsoft has to drop support for old OSs sometime. In fact, if their legacy support were a couple years shorter, it would enable them better to move forward with their software. They could focus more on making stuff work well on their current OS rather than on making sure it will also work on their out-of-date ones.

Does Microsoft get a 100-percent share of the money from the computers sold with Windows installed, or only an amount thereof proportionate to the price of their OS? I don't know which is the case, but if it's the former, then I might see where you're coming from; however, if it's the latter, then the issue of having to buy a new PC is a separate one.

All that aside, what the fuck is someone doing being eight years behind with their hardware and operating system? Surely people can afford to upgrade every five years or so, at the very least? You have XP, as do I. It wasn't so hard, was it?

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why should they upgrade if everything works fine?
    Many don't use anything more than a word processor, style sheets, a web browser and an mp3 player.

19. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

They shouldn't necessarily, and they're free not to. But if your OS is ancient, why get mad that there is no longer support for it?

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well as someone here said = nobody uses that support anyway.
    I don't think that spuriousmonkey is mad

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

He's at least annoyed at "the richest bastards in the world".

22. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I don't support the horrible sysreqs of windows, but you have to agree that in having these uneccessarily large sysreqs Microsoft have pushed forwards the rate of increasing PC specs.

23. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No. MS released a flawed OS. It's a bad habit of theirs.
    No, but it's possible to create a good quality, reasonably bug-free OS. Windows is not what I'd consider high quality, well designed software.
    It's not their responsibility to provide virus guards, etc, but I do think they should be responsible for providing bugfixes if they can't get their OS right first time.
    Software and mechanical products like cars don't really compare. Software doesn't age in the way hardware does. It's not susceptible to wear and tear, and doesn't break down. The only flaws Windows has now were present when the OS was originally released (I've heard there were about 8 thousand or so). That's what a software bug is - a design error. MS is now refusing to repair their own design flaws.
    It is if the car's locks were malfunctioning at the time the car was purchased. Of course the owner should take responsibility for their property, but the manufacturer should also take responsibility if their product does not work correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.