Windows 7

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by CheskiChips, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If you turn off superfetch and some other useless stuff, that's about the same. My Vista is fine, with that stuff disabled.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Ehh, try it and tell me if there's no difference. As it stands I've had both and prefer this much more.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Good, I don't give a shit man lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

i use vista on my desktop and windows 7 on my shitty netbook laptop, and i have to say, although vista runs completely smooth as intended on my powerful desktop, windows 7 is just much faster and its design is much smoother and more polished.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

For sure, it's more polished. Is it a bigger step up than Vista was over XP or XP over 98? Nope.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please tell in some detail (for a computer dummy) how to do this. I.e. step 1 open...., then .... etc.

If turning them off is the same procedure explained for only one PLEASE ALSO

Tell the names of all you turned off and approximately what they do (did). My needs are simple, but I do like to have the files open tray (NORMALLY at the screen bottom) on right side of screen about an inch wide as then I can read names of all files I have open at same time. And I like to have several "homepages" so one click takes me for sciforums to Yahoo or my brokers etc.

Perhaps after you do reply and before I turn them all off, someone else who reads your post reply may say: "heavens , no don't turn off ____ or you will not be able to ________ .

I was happy with my old XP but while in the US at Best Buy I got to buy this being discontinued Aspire 3680 (the floor display model) for half price and it came with Vista. (The latest and greatest - a song and dance I fell for.) Back in Brazil I sold my older XP machine for the cost of new one.

They said I should up the memory (from 0.5 Gig to 1.5Gig) with their on sale at $40 single chip - I did and installed it myself. (Years earlier I had learned that lack of menory (RAM, I think) really slows programs down and that pluggin in a chip, being careful about grounding self and pin alignment etc., was easy.

Best buy said reason they were discontinuing ACER Aspire 3680 was it was that it came with too little memory for Vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  10. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Don't listen to nietzschefan, every OS has insane people who cling to their setup as if it were the greatest thing to ever happen. There's also people who are perpetually cynical about change...sometimes change is for the better but cynics like him never have the opportunity to enjoy them.

I've had a few new Operating Systems in my life I first used dos for a while, then soon moved to NT (retrospectively it was poor, but a huge step up) where my GUI learning came from...I remember 95...I was young but excited at its steps up from NT. I remember 95 to 98, and I disliked all of the thousands of errors it seemed to perpetually have. I had 2000 at my school...I thought of it as the worst of the worst in computing technology...still do. I remember when XP came out, it was a great improvement in stability...a great leap forward in OS effectivity. I had longhorn before Vista and I was excited...Vista though eventually dissapointed me after getting it....it wasn't as bad as 2000...but it was programmed to be annoying. Windows 7 is by far the best, though not as much as a leap from DoS to NT.

by the way: I'm primarily a Linux user, I have always had Windows for school.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  11. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

so umm... could someone explain the pros and cons about vista and windows 7, and ummmmm...

I love computers, but I have lost "geek" speak(computer)... I know more terms and infor for programs more then the actual computer.. so this lil blonde brained chicka needs alittle help.. haha..

and does vista transfer over to 7 pretty easely? will 7 be worth the money, and dealing with that RETARDED Comerical with the little girl looking for "happy words" that have 7 on it/..

12. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Cheski, are you mistaking Windows ME for Windows 2000? I've never had any trouble worth noting with Windows 2000. Windows ME is widely acknowledged to be the worst OS that MS ever produced. XP was 2000 at it's core, with mostly minor changes/improvements. 2000 was primarily intended to be a business operating system, a further development of NT, and XP was made to be more appealing to the home user.

I'm building an older system to give to some friends with Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. It's an Epox 8RDA3+, an Athlon mobile CPU clocked at 1.9 GHz, 1.5 gigabytes of PC3200, and a Maxtor 320 gigabyte SATA drive. So far it seems to be working very nicely. From all I've read, Vista would have worked very poorly on a system with these specifications.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Are you having any problems with Vista? If not, I don't know that there is any burning need to upgrade. But you are supposed to be able to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 quite easily.

14. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I think I am confusing the two. I think I always confuse them because they were both released in 2000.

15. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

well, i dont understand what you mean by problems... I know my computer has been slowing down, but it is probly cuz I have forgotten to defrag and do that disk cleanup crap or whatever... and I hate that annoyying thing "are you sure you want to use this" NO! I am not sure! I clicked on it because I didnt want the program!! ugh..........

and the firewall, if I have the vista one on, I cant log onto some things.. so I have been using outside ones... but the one I had expired.. lol!

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I purchase windows 7 from my university for... wait for it... $7, that right SEVEN DOLLARS! Windows 7 ultimate mind you. I first broke my raid and install it on one drive, worked fine, then I tried to get the raid 1 up again and all hell broke lose! After many failed attempts I followed what these guys laid out and I finally re-install it and got it working such that it did not just leave a wake of corrupt shit and BDOS on my drives, fuck even with ubuntu it was easier to get the raid working! Besides it being slicker and a few new little features I don't see much of a difference from XP.

17. John99 Banned Banned

its much better than xp. i think it is the best OS i ever used and i go back to wfw.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well how is it so much better? Does it cause your computer to morph a mouth and begin sucking on your dick and if so how do I activate this feature?

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Hmm, too bad about that.

The differences are many and subtle. The single largest motivating factor for me was finally getting a 64 bit operating system to go with my 64 bit hardware. That means getting full use out of my four gigabytes of RAM, and the ability to add even more.

20. John99 Banned Banned

more streamlined and advanced. its configured better out of the box too.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah been doing that with ubuntu for awhile, the only reason I bought Win7 is because there are still many games that lack linux versions and the winxp has being getting so very long in the fang what being 32bit and DX9.

I think "slicker and some more little features" said what you just said. And no, it did not configure better out of the box, it configured horribly, it would either install a corrupted OS that was doom to die a horrible death of BSOD as it filled my drives with nonsense or it would finish installing only to tell me the installation failed and I have to install all over again! I had to use a hacked vista driver and install it just right to get it to install a stable OS!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  22. John99 Banned Banned

your system sounds to be incompatible.

23. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Running well on older hardware is a major plus as far as I'm concerned. And my compliments go to Silicon Image for providing Windows 7 drivers for their older SATA controllers. My trusty Epox 8RDA3+ was originally purchased in September of 2004. Too bad ATI couldn't be bothered to provide a Windows 7driver that would allow me to use the Radeon 9000 video card I have in this box. I'm going to have to buy a new AGP card for it. Oh well, my friends are worth it, and they will love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.