Wind Power and Migration

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Orleander, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Back home there are more and more ginormous windmills going up. As more and more are put in place, will they affect bird/insect migration? I see migrating animals taken out by vehicles on well established roads. So wouldn't these windmills take out geese, songbirds, monarch butterflies, etc.?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so we should save the birds and not the planet. ???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

well a solution would be to release a virus to kill all the bird so that they are not damaging the windmills.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

<sigh>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

worthless, absolutely worthless

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

The really big one's built by GE etc... actually turn fairly slowly. If bugs cannot avoid, they deserve extinction.

10. draqon Banned Banned

another solution would be to downsize the human population so that we do not have that many windmills killing all the birds.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

We'll just start with you ok?

12. draqon Banned Banned

Its a possibility, not something I approve of. Just one of the many solutions.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

The problem with people coming up with stuff like that is, an assumption we are no longer animals. We are living animals and we will grow as big as we can. No scientist or even politician can stop it.

If you or anyone else start to "cull the flock" it will get "culled" a whole lot more than you intended.

There will be perfectly natural ways that humanity will find it's limits.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the ones back home are fairly slow. And it didn't seem to bother the birds much. But now they are putting more and more in. Soon I expect there to be a horizon of them. I don't know how far birds deviate from a migration route. Would they just go higher?

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are certain sounds that will make birds avoid the windmills. Those sounds are rather high pitched and cannot bother humans. If these devices that create an amplified version of these sounds coud be attached to the windmills fewer birds will be killed and less problems will occur to the windmills. It is a win/ win situation for everyone.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If a fence was strung up across caribou migration route, it would adversely affect them. Would a horizon of these huge windmills have the same affect on birds?

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Do you really care? Would you be willing to go without air conditioning in the summer, without lighting at night, without the internet, if it meant that birds would be spared the horrors of flying into a windmill?

Personally, I say screw the birds. Eventually they'll learn to not fly into windmills. Either that, or birds capable of learning that lesson will evolve.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Draqon..

was it me ?

19. Roman Banned Banned

Yes, I really care.
    I'm not sure why your preferences take precedent over mine, madant. I think ownership of birds should be assigned to someone. That way, when you start killing birds with your wind turbines, you can pay me back.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Birds get caught by them, but I'm not sure in what numbers. Geese fly much to high to get caught though.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't care if they fly into them. I want to know if they will affect migration routes.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think so.

23. Roman Banned Banned

Migration is largely genetic. So if the windmills are put up in migration routes, yeah, they'll kill birds.

[edit]
    Enmos seems to be under the mistaken belief that only geese migrate. Most North American songbirds, at one time or another, migrate south for the winter. Hard for a robin to pull worms from frozen soil.