Wimpish Society

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Feb 15, 2007.

1. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Thousands of people do live in the snow, like some of the Inuit.

People have a right to do stupid things. We need to, otherwise how would we learn what was smart? Not everything that looks stupid is, and not everything that looks smart is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iam Banned Banned

Right, the live and learn phenomenon. I'm sure there were some people who died testing out poisonous plants. Their buddy watched them and told everyone in the village about it so they could avoid it also. That doesn't mean everyone should go give it a try to test it for themselves though of course they can. Once you learn something you don't ignore it..yoohoo.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Iam, you are obviously not getting it. Nobody said we should drop axes on them just to get used to it. But a natural hardness instead of overprotection, yes.

Let me tell you what I saw during the summer when the kids had morning cross country running. This is 8-9 am so it is not that hot yet. Almost every kid had a waterbottle in one hand and a cellphone in the other hand. Gee!! And they call this sport? Not to mention most of them were walking, because they used it as a social occasion instead of a workout...

But hey, let's have this conversation 10 years from now and we can compare my kid with yours....

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

And had such avoidance become a neurosis the way some people are trying to make it, we would never have had any kind of medicine, or tomatoes for food, or much of anything that we do have. A plant might be labeled as dangerous because someone ate it at the wrong time of its lifestyle, or the wrong part. We need insight, and sometimes it costs us.

9. iam Banned Banned

I am getting it. I never said track or cross country running is a walkathon. Of course you need water, gatorade, running shoes, and sunprotection. You can't run with that well talking on a cellphone. You can't become a cross country runner by taking a stroll, everyone knows that. So your example is ridiculous. If they don't want to run, then they shouldn't be in track as they will never push themselves cardiovascularly to become fit.

But then its not wimpy of me not to go flying off a cliff, bridge, or tall building in a cape and tights because i can surmise it would entail considerable damage. There have been fitness camps that ended up killing people because they abused them and that is just wrong. That's the point i'm makin, don't be stupid.

10. iam Banned Banned

What's interesting is people's focus on 'hardness' can just as well be a form of neurosis as hypochondriacs and rooted in fear. I don't believe most people are neurotic about their safety and people find many ways to experiment, discover and take care of themselves. Humans are damn good at it, why are you pretending they can't.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

This is true, but in my personal experience, the ones who pretend to be protecting children are the ones who also deliberately do a lot of physical and emotional damage to "difficult" children. You would think that a mother who was "overprotective" would be one who was constantly fussing over the child and was a wimp herself, but the truth is that she is likely to be the one who beats a child until he screams and then keeps on beating him until he is screaming while he is unable to catch his breath, until he passes out from the pain and lack of oxygen to the brain. Overprotection is an expression of extremely violent feelings towards the child.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

When I ran cross country, we didn't have water, gatorade, or sunprotection. I did, eventually, get some running shoes.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here is what you are not getting Iam:

1. Because of technological advance, every generation is whimpier than the previous one.

2. It is mostly the parents' ault, not the kids'.

So yes, my generation is whinier than my father's. Do I feel good about it? No, but I still accept it as a fact.

I take you are very young, probably less than half of my age. I bet I still could beat you in most sports.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But that isn't the point. The point is that parents do a disservice to their offspring by overprotecting them. They both will realize it 10+ years later. I have friends whose kids now telling/accusing them why they weren't arder on them.

If you are really under 20 please tell us your chores at 17 if you had any or what kind of hard work you did in the last 3 years...

You are whining because we are telling you the truth how it is, tough love...

P.S

h, yes, only whiny-pussies run with a water bottle...

And WTF they need a cellphone for?? Their ride should know the time the training is over...

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What Religious Redneck Retard decided that these are symptoms of some illusionary crisis? Most of them are manifestations of awareness of oneself, one's life, one's surroundings, and the state of the world.

People get more training in sensitivity than ever before, at a young age. People are made aware of what's going on around them rather than being either self-centered or obsessed with competition.

How many of us bright, articulate, well-educated people right here have found jobs commensurate with our knowledge and abilities? How many of us are frustrated with the relationships we've been able to build with family, friends, lovers, tradesmen, coworkers or customers and suppliers of our businesses? How many of us feel a sense of dread over the near future, especially with two more years of a Religious Redneck Retard in the White House trying to start a holy war, attacking the wrong country, and holding hands with the leader of the country who launched 9/11?

Remembering one's youth fondly? You've got to be kidding! Everybody does that, particularly the tens of millions of Americans who got to go to college which is a dream life for most people. Boredome with social interactions? Yeah, everywhere I go I run into Religious Redneck Retards. Is it any wonder I spend so much time on the internet? Financial stress? People are up to their ears in debt, they have little chance of increasing their income as they grow older, their children are going to need university educations that will cost $50K each, and a condominium within reasonable commuting distance of downtown Washington DC costs a million dollars.

Desire to have children? Desire to have children??? What moron wrote this list? And why is anybody on SciForums taking it seriously? You should all be ashamed of yourselves! If this isn't a practical joke, then it's a good example of what's wrong with this planet and why we're all so depressed!

15. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

But theres way more people on the earth. .03% could be equal to that 1%.

16. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

i also think you mistaken wimpier for safer

we are wimpier because we wear sun protection? maybe we just don't want cancer.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Looks like Fraggle has a bit of what I've been having.

Matt, maybe we are wimpier because we wear sun protection. Just how much do we want to screw around with the enjoyment of our lives for the sake of safety?

18. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

not heaps, I'm not conservative. I just don't want cancer.

I suppose it's different in the US, here in Australia, you can get burnt in winter.

Not that i ever wear sunscreen, i think i was using it as a metophical example doovalacky.

get it?

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I get it, I just don't approve.

20. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

Common sense again. wearing sun screen is not wimpy, its you not wanting to burn, although it may be slightly un-machoish. but wearing a jacket to the beach because mommy doesn't want you to get burned, and then one time when youre 40 and actually go to a beach and get 2nd degree roasted , all because you didn't have that childs experience of what a little burn feels like , thats breed wimpy, grow up imbicile . Only an example but i think you can catch my drift.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It's the "raising imbeciles" problem that bothers me. So much fear of a relatively rare disease leads to smothering protection that keeps people from experiencing the consequences of making their own decisions, partly by preventing the consequences and mostly by preventing the decisions from being made. It is obligatory to the learning process that sometimes a child gets burned, sometimes he gets shocked, and sometimes and sometimes he smashes his thumb with a hammer. Having gone through at least this much is why I have any sort of judgment at all.

22. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

Exactly MetaKron. Who here cant remember when the first tried to stick a nail in a socket and got a little shock? Did you try it again? Now every socket in a house has a plug in it, even though the fuse would blow before any serious damage could happen! But again, if you miss that as a child, one day will come when you'll be older, and generally speaking only , the consequences will be much greater, never mind the embarassement.

23. timmbuktwo Registered Senior Member

All in all this leads back to the original point of this forum, and that is that in the US now, everyone believes that no harm should come to you no matter what, that when , after 2 years of war in Iraq the death tally reached 1000 men, everyone has a load in their pants.

They cannot fathom how a war in a generally guerilla state could actually mean that some troops don't come back. Yes i do value every single life, but man , lets get a reality check, and not call it quits because people actually die in a war. The arabians and muslims in particular are right, the westerners cannot win because they can't stomach a loss of life.