Will you upgrade to skylake?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Apr 15, 2015.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Just wondering?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well I'm going to catch hell about this but I thought some information about what it is would be helpful for those , like myself, to understand what it is.

So back to the details, the Skylake-S processor family will feature the next generation desktop processors with the latest IA and graphics microarchitecture built on a 14nm process node. Some key features of the platform include socket compatibility on the 100-series chipset motherboards which will feature the LGA 1151 socket and there will be various tiers of SKUs with TDPs optimized for various users. The first two categories include the 65W Quad Core / Dual Core and 35W Quad Core and Dual Core models while the last one that is pointed as the “Enthusiast” Quad Core will be part of the next iteration of Devil’s Canyon lineup featuring 95W TDP and faster core frequencies. There’s currently no details available regarding the specifications of these processors or their performance but it is expected to be a bigger boost than what we have been seeing from Intel chips in the recent years.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...--IcWFCmJ3bHdxSOHUsWWsA&bvm=bv.90790515,d.eXY

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. danshawen Valued Senior Member

"Desktop?" Does anyone other than me still compute at their desk, sitting down anymore? I can see it's a big advantage to be able to text someone from your mobile implant while riding upside down on a roller coaster. Tweeting "wheeeee….!" from your desk is just not the same experience. Anyone who reads the text while streaming the high definition video and surround sound and closed captioning in six languages would agree.

Some day, the whole world will be able to ride that rollercoaster with you. No video or text to get in the way. Hdmi and skylake will be so much antiquated early 21st century techno crap. Desks will be replaced by life support pods. On second thought, why would anyone want to ride anything as slow, antiquated and quaint as a rollercoaster?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I still am at my desktop and I know of many that do the same and have a notebook or laptop.

What I read about it I can't understand all that much, to much geek speak to me. They say so much but convey so little to non geek peeps.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I use the term "tower" still with my desk top but not much.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

I prefer large monitors. No matter how many extra pixels / details get squeezed into the tiny dimensions of a screen on a mobile device or even roomier laptop, one still discovers finer details on a passe and bulkier desktop PC than one ever discerned from the same item on pop-culture gadgets. (Barring a perpetual preoccupation with zoom functions, anyway).