Will you see American Sniper?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Magical Realist, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I wanted to see this film when I first heard about it. It's even nominated for 9 Academy awards. But now there's controversy over herofying a guy who basically "shoots people in the back." See Michael Moore. Do we support a cinematic attempt to support a soldier who was simply doing his duty as all soldiers should? Not that this movie isn't also "in the line of fire" for many critics:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-almost-too-dumb-to-criticize-20150121?page=2

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

When you fight you fight to win. This isn't some formal duel that preserves the honor of gentlemen, it's a war, and if you have to shoot someone in the back, so be it. If you live to fight another day, I call that success. While I am critical of making heroes of anyone, our snipers are risking their lives, and often exhibit admirable courage. I will see this movie, but I probably won't pay for it, (not out of principle, that's just how I roll).

I guess Michael Moore doesn't know that our side used snipers too in WWII.

And we carpet bombed civilian areas.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

He shoots people in the back who behead civilians, murder children and intimidate everyone wherever they are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Is the movie supporting him (by presenting a biased/misleading account) or just documenting him and letting us decide? I also saw American Psycho, but that doesn't mean I support serial killers.

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

cute link
    upon which was a cover of the rolling stone.......old song revisited---"when they see my boobs on the cover of the rolling stone"....."...gonna buy 5 copies for my mother..."

Maybe it'll sell better'n a movie entitled "American plumber"?

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

He does? You mean he actually catches these people doing these things and THEN shoots them? Or perhaps they are wearing a big red M on their backs for "murderer"?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Can't really tell the difference over there because the terrorists use women, children old men and anyone else to carry out their terror acts. Wonder why terrorists always hide behind civilians, cowards they are. Terrorists try never to be known by wearing no uniform that distinguishes them from civilians, which isn't very warlike because most people in the military wear uniforms to distinuish them from civilians but terrorist enjoy using civilians as fodder.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

"terrorists" can also be civilians
    that is key to gorilla warfare
    only a damned fool would face the awesome might of the us military in open battle---------a couple centuries ago, only a damned fool would face the awesome might of the British regulars in open battle----we called the snipers patriots, the Brits called them criminals.
    perspective matters

12. zgmc Registered Senior Member

It seems that some things about the guy are left out of the movie. Apparently he has been caught in numerous lies, and was sued by Jessie Ventura for one of the lies he was telling...
    He was helping out vets who had ptsd, but thats the only good thing I could find out about him.

13. Bells Staff Member

Not everyone views it that way.

Some found it quite inspirational.

The Clint Eastwood-directed film tells the story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, portrayed by Bradley Cooper. The film scored six Oscar nominations, including for Best Picture and Best Actor for Cooper.

However, the movie's gung-ho message inspired many bigoted and offensive reactions on social media.

"American sniper makes me wanna go shoot some f------ Arabs," read one tweet.

Another Twitter user wrote: "Nice to see a movie where the Arabs are portrayed for who they really are — vermin scum intent on destroying us. #Deblasio #AmericanSniper."

"Ngl teared up at the end of American Sniper. Great f------ movie and now I really want to kill some f------ r--heads," one person wrote.

"I wish I weren't too old and fat to go shoot some r--heads. Hoorah! #AmericanSniper," tweeted another.

"American sniper made me appreciate soldiers 100x more and hate Muslins 1000000x more," wrote another.

Those were tweets of people who felt inspired by the movie. Remains to be seen what the true effects of the movie will be. I am sure time will tell. Civil rights groups are working with the FBI to try to prevent bloodshed by those who express such views. Hopefully people do not die because of it.

I doubt I will go to see it. I tend to not like promoting or supporting what can only be seen as a war machine movie. Was Chris Kyle a hero? I don't think so. I think he was a good soldier who cared for his fellow soldiers and he did what he felt he had to do to protect them. That is what happens in war. But glorifying it, and turning him into a hero.. I don't buy into that. Especially in a war that was based on lies and misrepresentations and which further destabilised the region, the bloodshed of which we see today on a daily basis in the news.