Will You Get Married

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Dec 20, 2006.

?

I am of the opinion...

Poll closed Jan 19, 2007.
  1. Yes if I meet the right person

60.0%
  2. No because...

25.7%
  3. Other; Comment

14.3%
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Marriage is for women; shacking up with various women is for men. It's the way it's always been, and most likely, it's the way it always will be.

Baron Max

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

They feel lucky and happy to be married because they have found someone to parasitize.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I might if it's the right person. And of course if the state would let me.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Are you homosexual, Athelwulf?

8. draqon Banned Banned

a direct and concise question, I like that.

9. socraeblu2534 Registered Member

whatever, as whatever makes you happy. Go with the gut feeling. If there isn't one, Don't make any major moves for permanency's sake

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with the institution of marriage. Human rearing - and here I diverge with SG - is best with single pairs responsible for their children, wherein the highest kinship ratio is maintained for a specific pair of parents. Thus, investment is more direct and less complex; there isn't as much sib competition since full sib relationships are always 0.5. We're an extremely k-selected species, quite possibly the most k-selected taxon ever in existence apart from whales. It's a very reasonable evolutionary strategy that full sib partnerships are preferred.

Why is it so trendy to deny it? Is everyone pissed off with their parents or something? "Dad never got me an Atari, so I reject conventional institutions! Take that, cheapo." Pfft, give it up.