Will You Get Married

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Dec 20, 2006.

?

I am of the opinion...

Poll closed Jan 19, 2007.
  1. Yes if I meet the right person

60.0%
  2. No because...

25.7%
  3. Other; Comment

14.3%
  1. sderenzi Banned Banned

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't want to, but I might if she wanted to. It might be necessary if I want to be with a foriegn woman.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

What dose other comment mean? From someone whom selected it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That was me. I'm not a fan of marriage personally, but I might do it if she really wanted, or if citizenship requirements made it desireable.

8. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

Oh, Ok that makes sence. So you would rather just stay unmarried all your life? I just dont think I could handel that. I mean I'm only 20 now but I often worrie about getting involved in a profession that I will not be able to get married and settel down...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Totally, marriage is stupid. There is no such thing as "settling down". It's a scam, a cultural artifact meant to enslave you to the purposes of society.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, I am already married.

And I have sex.

And a cell phone.

And I have friends.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You have friends? What's it like?

12. sderenzi Banned Banned

I concur, what is that like ????

13. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

And a cell phone! Well you best be voteing "yes" for what ever yes means on that poll... lol

Yeah im confewsed why you have this view on marrage spider?

Seams like all in good to be monogamous after a while, And be done with "games" and what now

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's just a contract to share property. You can have monogamy anytime, it's just a promise. Marriage doesn't prevent cheating either.

15. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

Nope, But Its something that you can enjoy and be appart of this "cultrual" celabration? I mean its one more thing to share... and It really sets the line I think, for being monogamus

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Monogamy is monotonous. And it's overrated. In practice we need monogamy because people only care about their own kids, but that is because of the legacy of patriarchal cultural forms, where male lines of descent were important.

In societies that cared for each other, marriage was unnecessary, as the entire tribe was responsible for all the children.

17. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

I guess, but that also drives compition. I think it might be easer to get married? then

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What competition? They didn't care who slept with who because it didn't matter.

19. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I favor long term sex circles with 6-8 people. That's never going to happen though(at least to me), so maybe marriage is an alternative.

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

True, I think that in many cases very early man was not very likely to know who fathered a child.

Societies always tend to make the most rules and taboos about what is in short supply. Back then, food not sex was very limited. Thus, there were more social customs about the eating order than about sex. (As you might expect generally the stronger males ate first.) As sex is more available now than when a "glimpse of stocking was something shocking" there are less rules about it.

Some societies, even in modern rural Brazil adopted a "communal pot" custom, in addition to eating order rules etc. (No one eats in rural Brazil without offering to share their food.) Particularly in hunting cultures, the "communal pot" is a good idea - never can predict which hunter (or fishing boat) will return with more than they can eat. In some sense, communism was the first society.

Soon as paternity was usually known, capitalism was born. Greed and concern for one's own children made it. Capitalism has been a strong driver of material goods and communism, beyond the "common pot" level of immediate consumption (no "savings") has made for low progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  21. dagr8n8 Registered Senior Member

Ohhhh, and the votes tied!!!

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I don't plan to get married. It's more of a burden than it is beneficial. You gotta spend tons of money for a one-day event, and when you wind up getting a divorce, which the odds are against everyone that it'll happen, it becomes a pain in the ass.

There's a reason why more than half of couples divorce, heh. I can't imagine staying with the same woman for the rest of my life. Over time, we'll have done everything together, known every little thing, and it'll be time for something new. It's unnatural to stay with one person all one's life.

- N

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

^^^ what he said.