Will Microsoft kill Nokia?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Saint, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Valued Senior Member

I am worried about Nokia's fate.
    It might be forced into selling to MS.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Why nokia? There dominance ended with the introduction of the iphone. The samsung galaxy 3 and iPhones have the majority of the market, can't even think of any competitors off the top of my phone. Sony probably have one but *shrugs* Nokia though are dead

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hardly. Nokia still have about a 40% share of the handset market, the largest single manufacturer still. If we compare numbers by OS, Android is by far the dominant OS.

There are still plenty of people who just want a phone, and who cannot afford the latest smartphones, tarifs and data bundles. Nokia shift a lot of product in that market. They'll be fine. I predict RIM will go tits up before Nokia.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

But their profits are in the tank - and their stock price is hovering around "trash" levels.

No, Nokia's whole problem is that they're also getting eaten alive on the bottom end of the market by ultra-cheap upstart competitors. Their set-backs in the smartphone market would be surviveable if they still had that core business to fall back on, but they do not. They need to turn things around right away, or they're going to disappear in short order.

Well, that's hardly a vote of confidence in Nokia. RIM is also circling the drain right now.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

True, but the rumours about a Microsoft phone don't spell the end for Nokia, it smells like acquisition to me. MS have spent a lot of money promoting the Lumia, and could pick up Nokia at a reasonable price.

They'll change, I see a split, MS will buy the smartphone side, and the cheap candybars will cut loose to sink or swim. Nokia do provide hardware to Police and Government though, and those are non-smart products, so they might get propped up somewhat. The UK Police use the 'Tetra' system which relies on Nokia hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.