Will humans evolve further?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Aug 4, 2002.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

to northofbay

Aquatic ape eh? there is a lot of evidence for that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. northofbay Registered Member

Re: to northofbay

I'm not certain there is alot of evidence yet. But one should wonder why humans lost hair. In Africa, hairless animals usually reside in water, like hippos. Aquatic animals typically have more outer fat and lack hair. There are exceptions though. A beaver, for example, has hair, but a beaver also spends alot of time on land. The lack of hair on humans is perplexing. I suppose we might have begun wearing clothing early on which decreased the necessity for hair. I wonder what reason there would be for the outer layer of fat? You usually see this with aquatic animals.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Here is a thought: may be as primitive man learned to tame the fire - it reduced the need for hair to keep warm. Over generations and alopecia caused the hair to stop growing....

I lost most of my body hair (except the chest) for unknown reasons, the dermatologist said not to worry. Then he joked, if he can find the answer as to why, he could sell it to all women and be super rich.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I really don't take side on this aquatic ape theory, it good but I think we should wait for more evidence.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I'd personally like to see evolution give us our tail back... I'd imagine it could be very useful

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oooooh that would be great: we could use it to scrub are backs, or hang off trees or perhaps as a sex toy

10. northofbay Registered Member

kmguru, alopecia is an usually viewed as an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself. I'm not sure it's part of the evolutionary picture!

Regarding fire and loss of hair: Actually, hair serves more purpose than simply to protect us from cold. Hair protects the skin from heat and sun exposure. There aren't many bald animals roaming the African plains. Your idea of fire/warmth and loss of hair may have played a minor role. Perhaps finding shelter in caves also played a minor role as well. And wearing clothes too; maybe these all collectively played a role. But then again there are plenty of animals which seek shade in Africa who didn't lose their hair. But...they don't run around wearing clothes and warming themselves next to a fire!

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

how can the be lost if they are still there?????

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Well my understanding (which may very well be flawed) is that there is more then a single allele that affects most traits. I'm taking the second most noticed distinction of race (right behind sex). Child who are bi-racial generally come in at a skin tone that is between the parent's. So while there will be a percentage of people who are dark black, and a percantage that are bright white... the majority would come in the middle.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

ok..i understand now, but what you are talking about is the phenotype and hence my confusion, because i was thinking about the genotype.
    But although the appearance or phenoype might mix, the genetic information remains present. And could be used for evolutionary change at any point in time.

And prozak was talking about the fact that mixing of genetic information leads to loss of genetic information.

by prozak:
    "You forget that both parties being mixed have alleles for the same traits; thus some of each are lost, creating an average of the two along the simplest lines of compatibility. So for the immediate mix, "diversity" may seem to be added, but viewing the whole, it is clear that in fact diversity is lost as averaging occurs."

or maybe i misunderstood him in this respect.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

¿Que? What kind of question does that have to do with anything!!! I am sorry but I going to have to quote that someday as the most stupidest question I have every had the said fate of seeing!

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: Birth?

Ummm....

*turns around and walks out*

16. Stoney.Hobbittess Registered Senior Member

Okay, well cooked fetus. You don't have to be so fucking asshole! The question I was asking is "What is Evolution?" I didn't understand what it was and was hoping someone could explain but from someone who is less of a sarcastic moron. Fuck you!

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If that’s what you wanted then why did you not ask us directly???

Modern Evolutionary theory is the process of reproductive organisms changing over generations by having mutations selected by survivability in varying environmental conditions. Survival of the fittest is a very crude interpretation of that but can be consider valid in most cases.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2003
  18. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Evolution Of Man

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

That used to be my desktop image.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

technically evolution is just the theory that species are derived from other species, i.e. that any given species we see today on the world has 'evolved' from an ancestral species.

Darwin's evolution theory has proven the most succesful, although this was not the first or only evolutionary theory. The central dogma for the Darwinian evolution is that the mechanism behind evolution is 'natural selection'

A species is bascially a large group of vary similar animals, plants, or any other organisms. But the important thing to remember is that they are not all the same. Even although they look very similar there is some variation between the different individuals. Natural selection says that individuals have a better chance to reproduce and produce offspring than less adapted individuals. Over the generations a species can therefore change if for instance the environment is changing.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hum the 7, eer no 8 stages of human evolution.

22. bird_joey Registered Member

i don't think we will evolve because instead of adapting to our environment we change it to fit our needs. even people with mental disorders and mutations are able to pass on there genes to the future generations. they dont stop the spread of the abnormalities and not doing so may later in life proove to be dangerous or usless in their lives. in the end our existence will be nothing but genetis mistakes.

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Wow! I didn't realize how far back this thread went! I have studied a little about evolutionary alopecia. Yes, we have less hair now than our ancient ancestors had. I wonder if global warming has anything to do with hair loss? Personally, I think we have always been in a state of global warming, so it's nothing really new. Humans may have caused global warming to speed up with our industrialization and advanced on the polar caps, why do we need hair? Wasn't hairspray one of the causes of holes in the ozone?