Will humans evolve further?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

i have gills

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid I'm not explaining my self right: It is not metal! Its about reducing are selves to pure data which can be stored and used by machines or computers or what ever we can make with brains of any form. The advantage of this existence is that immortality can be achievable in that existence can last for million and billions of years tell the stars burn out and all source of power runs dry.

What is its purpose? Well may I ask what yours is? Like all life our purpose is to prosper and have are genes last as long as possible, but unfortunately nothing last forever and we will have to evolve. The sun will be to hot for surface life in 1-2 billion years and will go nova in 4 billion. Will Homo Sapiens be around by then? I think not! The most likely existence is space, and a life form that needs food, water, O2, constant supply of organic compounds is far to heavy and inefficient to live in space. Robots and computers only need electric power and some radiation shielding. Computers don’t need to worry about dieing because their existence is only in data that can be copied and transported anywhere for very cheap and very fast. As are progeny travel through space setting up new bases and repeater towers I can put a fair bet they will meet other sentient life even more advanced then they… and that means not little green men but other computers and robots or perhaps higher dimensional versions of such.

Jolly Rodger: Are those gills functional by any chance?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blue Feather Registered Member

Persole:

I agree with your decription of indigo children but genetics as well as (perhaps in SPITE of) environment shapes these evolved humans.

Quote from http://healing.about.com/cs/indigo/:

"Indigo children are a newer generation that have arrived on the planet that are said not to have the conventional human DNA strands that the rest of us do. Their advanced vibrational energy has been described as having a dark blue aura which is why they are called the Indigo Generation."

If interested, check out a varity of sites.
    All kinds of info and opinions are available for your perusal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

So... after you copy your mind into a machine... which one of you is really you? Both? This is more akin to producing children then changing the way you exist. You are making a copy, but the original still exists.

8. kmguru Staff Member

To keep diversity alive, always marry outside of your group. It should be mandated by government....spanish, danish, japanese, italian, indian...beauties....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

What do they have then? Has any research been done on a blood sample?

This is a link off the site you gave me. Do these children go to school, talk when they are born, etc...?

10. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Actually marrying outside your group lessens diversity. The kids generally get a mix of the genetics and culture from both parents. Eventually everybody would be part everything.

Not that anything is wrong with that. It would give the child more chance to choose the culture that appealed to them, and would put an end to race wars.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

…but if your body has long been dead does it matter? All I’m say is that humans won't be around forever. What’s going to continue in are place?

as for this "Indigo children” thing it is utter bull@#$% with no proof or evidence!

12. kmguru Staff Member

By then, we will be looking for ETs to cross breed and they may be looking for us as we post....

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ok the Indigo thing to Pseudoscience NOW!!! It has nothing to do with human evolution or furture!, it has no connection to science and technology either.

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yup... agreed...

I guess thats the thing... If you copy your brain when you are 30 and live till 80, then you'll be alive for 50 years, but with a digital twin (which would probably develop differently.) This is why I relate it to children. They'd start off like you, but could develop along a different path. And just like normal reproduction, something vaguely resembling you will be around for a long time after you are dead.

15. Blue Feather Registered Member

Persole:

Love to answer you but WKF has his/her knickers in a knot. If you are interested, just dig a little and you'll come to your own conclusions. I only know what I've lived for 30 years!

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Did you know that you now and the you 20 years from now are two very different people. All you share are some memories.

"A man can not step in a river twice: the river is different and so is the man"

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You could also say that I am a different man between the time I type A and B, but in a practical sense I am the same person... while I change do experiences, I am essentially the same (your house still has the same wood after 20 years, it's just weathered now). That's why I say this is closer to childbirth or cloning, because both of 'me' would experience different things.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

no I think it's more similar to aging! A child or a genetic clone does not have your memories! A child or genetic clone will not believe it is you or think just like you and so forth.

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I suppose different people will look at it differently... even when it happens.
    This isn't really all that similar to aging, cloning, or reproduction... so it's open to interpretation

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

this notion of mixing sounds real nice of course, but it isn't valid for genetics. You introduce new variety by marrying outside your group, but this variety is not lost by mixing. It consists of fixed genetic entities that remain intact (genes, alleles, whatever you want to call them). They are now inserted to the genepool and stay there if not selected out. You have added to the diversity, you didn't decrease it because it got mixed like some kind of paint.

21. northofbay Registered Member

Isolation is more likely to bring about species creation though. If a species becomes isolated on an island for example, and they do not have any predators, they will lose their wings if they are a bird and slow down, because they do not need speed to escape predators. They can get away with being clumbsy for example. They will evolve so many differences from the mainland species that they will become a separate species altogether. Some people speculate that the Rift Valley may have been the isolating factor for Homo Sapiens. Another emerging view, the one I tend to agree with, is that Homo Sapiens became dependent on the sea for life. This is the reason they have more fat than other primates. An outer coating of fat insulates from the cold water temeratures. The dietary essential fatty acids drove the brain into super growth and development. It was an outside, environmental force that probably drove humans into the thinking/predicting creatures they are. Maybe it was isolation as well. Maybe other primates were afraid of the water. For example, other primates cannot hold their breath in water like humans. It was probably fairly easy to escape a bunch of club wielding primates by swimming into the sea.

Global interbreeding will decrease the probability of creating a new species. But it will also decrease the risk of carrying on some of the genetic defects which occur when species are isolated...cousins marrying cousins. When a species is in the process of evolving from the isolation experience, they go through alot of genetic flaws and strange mutations from interbreeding before they come out the other side as a new species, if they can make it that far! I kindof doubt that we, as caring humans, could stand by and observe such a dramatic change without intervening. This is probably why we will drive our own evolution in the future, through manipulation of our DNA. But, global interbreeding does create genetic variation within our own species but decreases the likelyhood of becoming a new species.

22. prozak Banned Banned

Added to the diversity? You forget that both parties being mixed have alleles for the same traits; thus some of each are lost, creating an average of the two along the simplest lines of compatibility. So for the immediate mix, "diversity" may seem to be added, but viewing the whole, it is clear that in fact diversity is lost as averaging occurs.

23. prozak Banned Banned

And will emphasis what is average in what we have now, not furthering any "diversity" or specialized traits.