Will HALO be remembered ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Will the HALO series be remembered ?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No, Some other game will

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. No video game will be remembered.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

"A great degree of certainty"?
    Hmmm - how to counter such a compelling argument...?
    I know... how about... I, too, have played a number of FPSs on console and PC, and I stick by my opinion that the console controllers are 'awful' in comparison to the far more intuitive keyboard and mouse.
    Oh look - we're down to personal opinion.
    So if you want to start spouting "great degree of certainty" - I do hope you can support it with facts??

I'm sure if the thread topic was about Halo 2 or 3 you'd have a point.
    But Halo is relatively DULL in these areas.
    You'd have hoped by 2, and especially 3, that they'd have cottoned on to that fact - and they did.

You mean other than better graphics, far more open gameplay and better range of environments?

Logically flawed argument, I'm afraid.
    There are more console players in the market because they are aimed specifically at the gamers market. The more consoles are in the market, the more a particular type of game will sell.
    Therefore using quantity as an indication of quality in this example is logically flawed and moot. I do hope you can appreciate that?

If the Console manufacturers brought out a mouse and keyboard style controller (they've bought out steering wheels for racing games, so why not) then they would get far more converts from PC to consoles. As it is there are plenty of gamers who stick to PCs for FPS due to the controller.

For games such as sports (football etc), or even racing games, the controller is far better suited than the keyboard and mouse option. But in my opinion, not for FPS, where I find the controller awful.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Hmm, you've got a point there I suppose, but when discussing entertainment how can it be anything but subjective?

Considering that Halo 2 and Far Cry came out the same year I think that might be a fairer comparison and I don't think you could call a clear winner between the two based on those criteria.

Yes I do appreciate that quantity does not equal quantity, however, that was not my argument, what I was trying to say was:
    1) IMO, a controller is better suited to the task
    2) A number of people agree with me
    3) To my knowledge there is no empirical way of determining the answer to a subjective question

There was a game released last year called Shadowrun on PC and Xbox 360, where players on one platform could play with players on the other platform. So people could play the same game at the same time against each other with either a keyboard and mouse or a controller.
    The PC players could also plug in a 360 controller via USB to use instead of the keyboard and mouse but I hadn't heard of many people choosing to do this so there may be some truth to that.
    However, the means with which the user interacts with the game is integral to the games design. You cannot just swap it out for something completely different and expect it to play the same, why do you think so many straight ports of PC RTSs to console have failed?

Again that's your opinion, you are entitled to it, just as I am to mine.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.