Will CO2 absorb photon in all directions?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Robittybob1, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Winds on Pluto? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_evidence_of_wind_on_Pluto
    So really the only planet to be examined is Mars and it has hardly any atmosphere so I doubt if there is a super rotating wind.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Yes - little atmosphere and the sunlight strikes the ground rather than being absorbed directly in the atmosphere. So you get weather patterns similar to the Earth.
    No mention of a net super rotation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

The point was that a single photon represents a potential heat.... When and if it interacts with another atom.

Most of what you are saying is very basic stuff. I started out with a question because the way a previous statement of yours sounded, you were treating a group of electrons as a single E-field, to use your term. I just wanted clarification, on what you had meant. You already clarified yourself with a lot of other very basic stuff....

I was "obviously" nit picking your statement that heat was only involved with groups of molecules by, pointing out that there are atoms that are their own molecules.

It is not like I don't have some understanding of the issues. Though at times I do have trouble understanding the intent of someone else's posts. And my intent is likely, at times, equally difficult to figure out.

The issue that Robittybob1 raised is more complex than you have been treating it. I don't believe that any one model clearly describes what is really happening. And the truth be told we are dealing with models, successful in thier own right, still they remain models..., our best descriptions of what appears to be happening.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

The mass of the Oxygen atom seems to have different valuse on the web

Thinking about what I said and checking it up again could the real answer be (for a single atom) 1.338097 X 10^-26 kg

Why another site would say "O2 in kg = 5.326 * 10^-26" beats me.

So the oxygen molecules are heavier than the central carbon atom but not by as much as I originally thought. Please excuse my error and i hope I've got it right this time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Wind direction gets confusing so don't shoot me if I have got some of it wrong.
    Easterly to me means coming from the East.
    But "to the East or Eastward" is blowing to the East or what I would call a Westerly.
    A lot of sites look down on the Solar System and its angular velocity is anticlockwise, with the planets also spinning anticlockwise on their axis.
    But no one says the winds blows anticlockwise for that would confuse us with the anticyclonic weather paterns.

But to top this off they often can't see the surface of a planet or if it even has one, so they can't tell how fast it spins on its axis. Hence they don't know if the wind is prograde or retrograde. That was news to me!

9. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/272/5263/842.abstract

Galileo Doppler Measurements of the Deep Zonal Winds at Jupiter

David H. Atkinson, James B. Pollack*, Alvin Seiff+ Author Affiliations

D. H. Atkinson, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844, USA.
    J. B. Pollack, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA.
    A. Seiff, San Jose State University Foundation, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA.
    ↵* Deceased
    Abstract
    Changes in the speed of the Galileo probe caused by zonal winds created a small but measurable Doppler effect in the probe relay carrier frequency. Analysis of the probe relay link frequency allows direct measurements of the speed of Jupiter's zonal winds beneath the cloud tops. The deep winds were prograde and strong, reaching a sustained 190 to 200 meters per second at an altitude marked by a pressure of 24 bars. The depth and strength of the zonal winds severely constrain dynamic modeling of the deeper layers and begin to rule out many shallow weather theories.

10. RealityCheck Banned Banned

I should have been clearer on the electromagnetic/magnetohydrodynamic aspects/phenomena that may arise.

In other words, it is not a direct mechanical-to-mechanical coupling/exchange of momentum/energy of rotation. If conductive/superconductive phenomena arises, the gas/plasma layers may be accelerated faster than the mechanical motion of the 'dynamo' body rotates. Then there is also the question of IF there is also 'superfluidic' properties due to the high pressures, then the 'resistance' to super-rotation is reduced because of low 'friction' between the layers. Acting to enhance any 'feedback' effects/accelerations betwen central dynamo and atmospheric layers affected/coupled 'electromechanically' to it.

But like I said. I have not followed up on this and don't know what would obtain in the actual situations under the pressure on such planets. It could all be a non-starter. Anyway, I like your threads/posts....they are full of interesting topics/conversations and lateral thinking opportunities/motivation. Kudos!

G'night.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

There are plenty of situations I have not studied, even the magnetic field of the earth and the way it deflects the Solar Wind is yet a mystery to me. But the topic I am discussing has been on my mind for many years so I would like to focus on the situation on Venus, Jupiter and Earth (marginally) with their super rotating winds and their atmospheres high in GHG.
    Are they connected? For if it appears they are it doesn't seem impossible to design an experiment to prove/disprove it.

12. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Can it really be the little portion of momentum contained in the photon that stops an interaction with a gas molecule that has an opposite momentum vector.
    In objects with physical mass one lot of momentum cancels out the opposite vector portion, but does that happen with a mass less photon.
    There is reason to believe it doesn't as exemplified by the 3 planets with GHG atmospheres, all with prograde (super) rotating atmospheres. With the usual concern being just heating of the atmosphere this effect may have been overlooked. Who knows but we are going to find out.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Although not a true force, the effect of the Coreolis effect acts like a force. I.e. It constantly is accerating the atmospheric mass. Eventually a relatively constant speed is achieved as this force is balanced by drag force, maninly at the surface.

If that planet has a thick atmosphere the higher layers can have this equlibrium between drag of the distant surface and the Coreolis force occur at higher than surface rotation speed. I don´t know if this is the case, but you say the wind (at highest layers, you should add as we cannot see the deeper near surface layers) are faster than surface rotation.

But let me ask you why / how the absorption by GHG of radially outbound IR knows to make a wind to the east instead of to the west (or conversely to the west instead of the East)? I.e. how does absorbing out bound radiation make a clockwise (or counter clockwise) torque on the atmosphere?

Here is part of your qoute in post 78 about pluto or neptune:
    "The general pattern of winds showed prograde rotation at high latitudes vs. retrograde rotation at lower latitudes."

This is exactly the same as on Earth, for reasons I explained with the Coreolis effect. I.e. In the Earth´s tropics the average wind at the surface is from the East and towards the west (retrograde) an at higher latitude, in both hemispheres it is prograde. All directly explained by Coreolis effect, but I am waiting for you to tell why / how absorption of radially out bound IR makes a torque on the atmosphere either to the east or to the west AND why this effect of the IR absorption near the equator is reverse of near the poles.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  14. Emil Valued Senior Member

Maybe this helps.

1 atomic mass unit = 1.66053886 × 10-27 kilograms

15. Emil Valued Senior Member

16. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Emil - When you look at the diagram titled "Three-Cell Model of Global Circulation / Coriolis Effect" do you immediately consider in your mind what the direction of rotation is?
    In the Equatorial regions the prevailing wind is Easterly. So what that means to me is that energy already in the kinetic motion of the Earth is being transferred to the atmosphere. The air is being decelerated and being dragged along with the Earth. (Wind in contact with the land slows it, but since it is going slower than the Earth's rotation the slowing with respect to the surface is a speeding up WRT the Sun. Where the air is finally moving along with the Earth's rotation that is the region of the "Doldrums".

So from the Coreolis effect alone you don't get atmospheric acceleration to a velocity faster than the Earth's rotation. Nothing like as on Venus where instead of equatorial easterlies there are westerlies blowing at 600 km/hr in the same direction as the planet is spinning.

17. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Did you do the multiplication? Which was the right answer?

18. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

The same question was asked twice... "waiting" may have something to do with the time differences, I'm in New Zealand OK. Got to sleep sometime.

I'm sure I have already admitted that when the incident sunlight strikes the earth or planet surface the directional effect is lost. For the infrared radiation would be in all possible directions.
    The effect I describe is where the planet's atmosphere is so thick (with GHGs too as well as physical thickness) the IR absorption reactions are all occurring in the atmosphere under the influence of the incident unidirectional sunlight.

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, both the sunlinght incident and the IR leaving have not preferred "twist" on the plantes atmosphere, so again, How do you think either makes the prograde winds? (and again note that the facts are that in the zones with most intense solar heating the winds are retrograde. Thus you need to explain this too if rejecting the well accepted theory that does explain it based on Coreolis effects.)

Summary: your postualated IR absorption has no mechanism to make any twist on atmoshphere and is contradicted by fact both prograde (in higher latitudes) and retrograde (near the equator) winds dominate. Give it up.

20. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

With the planet's axial spin or "rotation" there is a side which is going toward the Sun and a side which is going away. So according to the principle of conservation of momentum on the side going away from the Sun both the incident radiation and the gas molecules have on average greater number of same vector interactions which allows the absorption to occur.
    On the side going toward the sun the momentum transfer can't occur for the vectors are largely in the opposite directions.
    As the wind generated by this effect intensifies the effect also intensifies (positive feedback) so there is an ever increasing wind generation which ultimately is only tempered by the transfer of energy and momentum to the planet's angular momentum and kinetic energy.
    So I still stand on the principle of conservation of momentum and energy . Both of which originate in the Sun and arrive in the incident sunlight.

The examples of planets you refer to where the winds are not prograde, seem to be on planets with an atmosphere lacking in GHGs and being far away from the sun. So I don't have solutions to all the planets winds but Venus, Jupiter and to some extent the Earth are planets where the prograde winds are powered by the sun through the GHG effect.

Because this has not been proven as yet even though we have 3 good examples of the effect on neighbouring planets, I am proposing to do an experiement to prove or disprove it.
    Experimental designs are sought so if you can think of an idea to test it please mention it.

21. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

During the daylight hours, sun light passes through the atmosphere heating the earth. This occurs with EM radiation across a broad spectrum, not just the IR band.

During the night most of the heat radiated away from the earth is in the IR band. The GHG content of the atmosphere affects how much of that IR radiation is absorbed and/or reflected back toward the earth. As the GHG levels increase more IR radiation is prevented from "escaping" or being radiated away from the earth.

During the day there is more energy across a broader EM spectrum that arrives, than is radiated away during the night. Heat builds up... On balance a build up of GHG alters this balance toward a rising global temperature.

How that affects wind patterns, is far more complex and I am unsure anyone has any real long term understanding of that. For proof just start keeping track of the wether news and how accurate it often seems not to be.

I just listen to a discussion or interview about global warming and one of the unknowns that was mentioned was how even the current conditions are or will alter the El Niño effect. The point I was trying to make here is that even in an interview with a scientist actively working on global warming, how the global temperature affects winds and El Niños, is largely unknown.

The models we do have are not really very good on the larger scale or time frame. When a storm path is predicted, how many variations do they present. I don't believe any of our current models explain any of the wind and weather patterns well enough to warrant, you final statement above and the "give it up", conclusion.

Keep in mind that Robittybob1 started this thread and continued it almost as a sole contributor to his exploration of the question. Some of the discussion seems to have been useful and constructive, and some.., not so much.

22. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Thanks for your encouragement Only Me. I don't mind the questions that Billy T is throwing at me, for any idea has to be able to withstand the criticism.
    Even when he said "give it up" I just treated that as part of a good old debate. I hope it wasn't a threat, like "give it up or I'll close you down".

If Billy T was to focus on Venus and its winds, for they are the ones to explain, he may get the mechanism behind it and he may yet agree with me.

It will need a defining test experiment I'm sure of that.

23. Emil Valued Senior Member

Nop, I'm not interested in this "chapter" of the thread.
    But I warn you, as many believed and believe they have discovered "perpetuum mobile", due to Coriolis effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.