Wiener's Wiener

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 2, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, you just can't lie to judges, cops are fine.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The US economy is tanked and sinking into the abyss, and meanwhile everyone is worried about Weiner's crotch shot. So what if he sexed some women on his phone. I could give two flying f*ckes. I don't care. Just help fix this pathetic excuse for a republic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

He didn't yet. Let me see if I can make this clearer. Sheesh.

He did something stoopid. (That's a T-shirt)

He claimed he was hacked to hide it.

He tried to stop any official investigation by saying it wasn't an official matter, just personal, he wasn't going to ask for any official inquiry, yada yada.

But he's a congressman. Saying he got his personal computers/devices hacked.

None of that is illegal, but look where it puts him.

Now, if any official asks him any question and he keeps up the fib to them, BANG, it's a crime.

He knew that.

He saw the writing on the wall. Either lie to the authorities when they ask and go to jail or fess up.

Being a smart guy (in a very subdivided way) he confessed. He had to. Somebody official was going to want to know how a congressman got hacked. National security and all that.

See? No crime yet. Obvious crime coming if he kept up the lie. So he bit the bullet.

And the bad thing is coming. Now they are after him for using his congressional telephone equipment for his phone sex. That's a crime.

So if they investigate, he will either have to admit that crime or claim he didn't ever do it from his office or on his phone etc. etc. I think he might be whipsawed now. Damned either way. Crime or lie to the investigators, which is a crime too.

Stick a fork in him.

Questions?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

Kidding right? Martha Stewart. Obstruction of justice. Impeding an investigation.

Lots of the high profile cases end up being perjury or obstruction or interfering/impeding. They fall into that trap trying to deny the facts of the crime they are being investigated for.

Don't you folks watch the news? Or at least crime shows? Or have a law license?

8. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

How? That's a topic worthy of a new thread. "I know how to fix the republic, Step 1......"

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I could care less about the sexual shenanigans of others, but it's rather hard to ignore when the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is showing Anthony Wiener giving his public apology on national television.

Sheeesh! Wasting my information time or what?

10. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

Ya just can't hardly look away from a train wreck.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

LOL.....

I get three TV stations out here in the sticks. A French channel, Aboriginal Peoples Television Network which reruns a lot of obscure movies and CBC, which for all intents and purposes makes one channel, presently abducted by the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Oh, then why have you been saying otherwise?
    OK, at this point not of that is in question. But none of that supports your accusations.
    And just what official investigation did he try to stop? You just said he didn't do anything illegal.
    OK, you again admit that in contradiction to your previous claims, he has done nothing illegal thus far.
    Not true. It is only a crime if he lies to a federal investigator. And as of now there is no official investigation and he has admitted his culpability.
    You keep contradicting yourself. And you seem to be a bit behind the times, he has already confessed to his transgressions none of which were illegal.

13. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

Wow. Straw man like I've never seen. Are you actually trying to misunderstand?

The point is that a reasonable person could tell from the outset that he was trying to avoid the Martha Stewart trap by NOT calling for an investigation and NOT categorically denying it was a picture of him. He saw the danger and you could see that he saw it. The fact that he saw the danger allowed me to conclude he was fibbing about the hack.

Strategically, he was facing a problem, and he knew it, which explained his behavior. He couldn't keep up the lie if it got official. Lying in ANY criminal investigation by ANY law enforcement authority is a crime. He had to stop short of that. The end came quickly.

But now he has that other problem. Governmental phone sex. Sure it's trivial, but apparently that is illegal to. I don't think he saw that one coming.

14. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

That was some odd parsing.

I didn't say he committed a crime yet. I said he saw one coming that he was obviously trying to avoid.

I didn't say that particular comment supported any accusation and BTW What accusation? That I figured it was obvious he was lying?

When the reporters asked him if he was going to notify the authorities (can't remember which ones) he said "no" and tried to explain how it wasn't that big of a deal. Odd for a congressman having his email hacked.

Never said he had already done anything illegal.

It was true, and his knowing he had to avoid that is what gave him away. You can see his strategy a mile away.

Well, now who's behind the times? Apparently there are a few more and more severe than he let on, but that's no big deal. The big deal is the official phone for private business (of the monkey sort).

And this is the last time I play this game with you. After doing this, I just figured out that apparently I don't care as much about straightening you out as you care about attacking my statements. Odd. I wonder what that's about?

The truth is obvious for all to see.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes the truth is obvious. Weiner has admitted to his wrong doing. And it is also obvious that contrary to your repeated claims, he has not obstructed justice. It is also obvious that Weiner's wrong doing is not in any way compareable to the convictions of those you have repeatedly referenced (e.g. Martha Stewart. et al.).

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, how little you know. Marth Stewart was convicted of insider trading. And Martha Stewart did not call for her investigation. It was thrust upon her.
    For there to be a criminal investigation there has be to be reasonable evidence that a law has been broken. There is no such evidence, except in your fantasy land. Therefore there is no such investigation. Therefore there is no need to stop short.

The bottom line, Weiner did come out and tell the truth after he initially lied about it. And all of this fantasy stuff of yours is just that, fantasy.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Do you have any appreciation for the difference between a policeman and giving testimony in a courtroom? No one takes an oath to tell the truth to a cop. They will lie to you all day long, be sure of that.

18. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

Martha did NOT get convicted of insider trading.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A jury found Martha Stewart guilty Friday on all four counts of obstructing justice and lying to investigators about a well-timed stock sale, and the former stockbroker turned style-setter could face years in jail.

I never said Wiener had obstructed justice or perjured himself (which requires two inconsistent swearings). I said he saw that coming and had to fess up to avoid it.

And I believe the news is now all about an investigation being in the words.

And Spidergoat, I absolutely know the difference. Obstruction of justice/interfering with an investigation vs. perjury.

Read up.

19. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Martha Stewart was convicted of Securities Fraud and Obstruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Stewart#Stock_trading_case_and_conviction

But again, your comparisions are not germane to Weiner.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, eventually. There are allegations of more, which he has not admitted to.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, it looks like he may be facing an ethics investigation by the House ethics committee.

23. Regular0ldguy This is so much fun! Registered Senior Member

You cite the wiki article but you apparently didn't read it thoroughly:

"Stewart was found guilty in March 2004 of conspiracy, obstruction of an agency proceeding, and making false statements to federal investigators, and was sentenced in July 2004 to serve a five month term in a federal correctional facility and a two year period of supervised release (to include five months of electronic monitoring).[21]"

That was the big part of the story at the time, they COULDN'T prove the underlying crime, so they got her for lying. A little like Capone and tax evasion.
    And this is EXACTLY what Wiener was worried about.