Whyfor all the poo?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DaveC426913, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I've come to the conclusion that this is not really the right place for me. Several people warned me so, but I had to try.

There's a lot of interesting discussion here, but I'd hoped that it was possible to have civilized discussion without continually resorting to "poo-flinging" as I call it. It's one thing to vehemently disagree with an opponent, and even have to educate them, or tear their assertions to pieces, or even shut them down. Heck the occasional shot to the groin is not out of the question.

But I've felt that it can be done without having to continually tear down the person doing the arguing. It's a cheap puerile tactic in my eyes. And it makes the place rather unpleasant to be around. Worst of all, I think it damages the instigator's credibility more than the target's. (If I call you a troll or an idiot or insane, the only truth in that statement is what it reveals about *me*.)

I've had discussions with the officials about it, and I'd hoped they were of a similar mind. That was the basis of my efforts. But, while I may have been fighting the battles, I have slowly come to realize that I am doomed to lose the war.

It was this post that broke this camel's back:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2948081&postcount=4

in which a moderator calls a member a fuckwit.

In a forum where moderators are free to make statements like this, there is no way I can hope that officials will set an example for civilized behavior for that others might follow. And that is, to my mind, one of the most important roles of a moderator. To show that even the worst offender can be dealt with fairly and justly. It's what makes the mods be the ones *outside* the cage of poo-flingers, not inside, with the rest of the poo-flingers.

Don't misunderstand me, I know the objections:

1. I recognize it was a nasty, nasty thread. I don't suggest politeness is the thing for the OP - not at all (though I tried my hand there at being impartial). I do suggest that, *before* this kind of thing gets verbalized, the member should have simply been banned. Locking the thread is kind of closing the barn doors after the horse has escaped.

Picture a kid in a schoolyard beating the crap out of another kid. The supervisor steps in and - what? punches the kid out? Bad enough behavior for a supervisor - but just imagine the lesson all the other kids are learning about supervisors. No, the supervisor drags him to the principal, where he gets expelled or charged. And, no expelling him AFTER punching him out is not good supervisor behavior either.

2. I'm not picking on that Moderator (really, I'm not), or any other official. I'm picking on the hostile environment that engenders the behavior.

3. I am not for a moment suggesting I am immune. I'm a person. I get mad. I lose respect for people. I name-call. But I expect to be taken-to-task for it when I cross the line. And it sure isn't my primary form of rebuttal.

Anyway, it's not about any given thread; it is simply a realization that my desire to have the level of civilized discourse I'm used to is doomed. I am seeing that the abuse of other members is institutionalized in the forum. And there's no point in reporting the behavior if the people I'm reporting to are not of the same mind.

Call me thin-skinned (actually, call me whatever comes to mind). I've got to step away before I get polluted.

Maybe not forever. I'll be around. -ish.

Carry on.

[/rant]

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — Travel well, friend

Mod Hat — Travel well, friend

Sorry we couldn't meet your needs.

Travel well. Be safe. May you find the treasures you seek.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. (What? I don't want to clean the knob.)

And, you know, we'll worry about the lights.

Thanks for your time with us.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.