why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Calm down old geezer. You're gonna stroke out. There's more to reality than what you've been brainwashed to believe in science class.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As I thought.

You don't know what a spin network is. You don't know anything about the quantum vacuum. And the words "emotive imprint" are just cover for bullshit.

A great example of pseudoscience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I have a sense of humor. So sue me..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To be serious, the theory that paranormal events are the imprints of emotionally traumatic experiences and suffering on some underlying substrate is not just of my imagining. I can refer you to parapsychologists who propose such things. Whether that substrate is matter, or spacetime, or the quantum vacuum? Who can say? But these are the implications of general patterns in the phenomenon seen over many times in many different cases:

Residual Haunting

"A residual haunting, also known as a place memory, is the most common type of haunting. In most cases it does not involve a ghost or spirit interacting with the people who are witnessing it. This type of sighting is a remnant of a past traumatic event that happened at or near the location prior to someone’s death. For example, an apparition of a woman may be seen repeatedly looking out of an upstairs bedroom window and pacing the floor. Or noises without a visual scene may be heard, such as footsteps. This same scene or sounds are repeated over and over again in an unchanging loop and often at specific times. Residual hauntings are records of energy that have been imprinted in the area in which the event took place. They are not a direct communication with the living, in fact, they are quite benign and harmless. Some people are more sensitive to observing these hauntings and typically they occur in older buildings, homes and battlefields. It is possible to do some historical research of a location to determine the event that might have caused the haunting."===http://psychiclibrary.com/beyondBooks/haunting-types/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Old geezer?? James an old geezer?

Now if you were to address me with such a cop out remark, I would simply fire back and say I'm there already, you've yet to get there!
    You are confusing reality with gullibility.

Ahhh, another example of a cop out, similar to what the divine one often uses in his forlorn attempts to push his religiously driven nonsense.

This old geezer will now but out, before I cause you to blow a poofer valve!

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And of course sueing is totally unnecessary as the object of the exercise was to expose you for what you are: That was accomplished.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

No. You were serious in posting that rubbish. Then, when I called you on the bullshit you decided to back off and claim you were making some kind of joke. Better that than admit you had no idea what you were talking about.

This is what pseudoscientists do: they dress things up in fancy language (often culled from real science) but which doesn't actually mean anything when you drill down just a little.

If something is said to be an imprint on something else, don't you think it's important to decide what is actually being imprinted and what it is being imprinted on? "Some underlying substrate" is meaningless waffle that serves only to bamboozle the unwary.

Can't you see that what you've written is meaningless? It's like: "Ghosts are an imprint on something ... but I'm not sure what. Or maybe they aren't really an imprint at all ... more like a sort of place memory of some kind ... How can a place have a memory? Well, I don't know. Somehow... I can't explain what I mean. How would such a memory be stored in the place? ... I don't know. Maybe in the ... er ... quantum vacuum? What's a quantum vacuum? ... er... I'm not really sure about that, but it sounds impressive, doesn't it? ... So, to summarise, maybe ghosts are some kind of ... imprint ... in something I don't know anything about. Or maybe not. Yeah, that's it."

Look at that.

Residual hauntings are "a remnant ... of a past ... event". What kind of remnant? How is the remnant "stored" in the place? Magic?

Residual hauntings are "records of energy that have been imprinted in the area...". Really? What is a "record of energy", exactly? Exactly what kind of "energy" are we dealing with here? (The Power of Bullshit, perhaps?) How is the record made and where is it stored? What is the process? Magic again?

exchemist likes this.
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Fine..Have a stroke then. You're bordering on spastically obnoxious at this point.

Wow. James R doesn't understand all the ins and outs of residual hauntings in the 5 minutes he first heard about them. You're displaying that weird sort of childish rage again James. Like having something you don't fully understand scientifically is a personal assault on you. Tell ya what. You tell me how quantum entanglement happens and the Big Bang occurred, and then I''ll explain residual hauntings in more detail. Till then, your argument is a fallacy of incredulity, as if not understanding something means it doesn't exist. Gee..I wonder if consciousness exists then?

11. birch Valued Senior Member

Hold on a second. Just because these cant be answered in the most concrete fashion doesnt mean it isnt the case. You cant say something is bullshit with every occurrence or thought. Speculation is the first step or else you censor even natural thought, even if not exactly correct, is the first step and can be remedied or modified later. It is unnatural to give the third degree demanding concrete fact or evidence for everything and if not all in place immediate or understood, say it is all a lie. If anyone were to demand someone qualify every experience or thought with 'evidence', it would be exhausting and in many cases impossible depending on context. If that was the case, no one should allow themselves to even wonder or speculate or follow a hunch which concrete evidence may not have been apparent initially could lead you later to it.

The concept that there is some 'residual imprint' is just trying to give some structure or framework to work with. It can be built upon or discarded later but it has to start somewhere.

These are more like questions.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. Just telling it like it is. I understand that you'd rather not get a reality check.

You think that idea is news to me?

You can probably safely assume that I'm aware of all the standard "theories" about ghosts, MR. After all, there's been nothing really new in that field for the past 100 years.

Not rage. It's more a kind of amused exasperation. I can understand why you interpret it as rage.

You mean you'll try to cobble together an explanation using the impressive-sounding scientific terms you learn?

You should appreciate that I don't have the time or inclination to teach you quantum physics from scratch, Magical Realist. And even if I were to attempt that, I'm confident that it wouldn't help you to explaining ghosts. The same can be said for attempting to explain modern cosmology to you.

If you have specific questions about modern physics, we have a subforum dedicated precisely to that kind of thing. Start a thread. People will help.

My complaint is not that you don't understand ghosts. It is that you pretend that you do understand them. Not just you, but all the pseudoscientists who have "theories" about what ghosts are and why they exist.

Of course, when you claim to be "studying" a phenomenon that doesn't actually exist, I guess it's easy to just make stuff up.

To be fair, I'm sure there are some honest paranormal investigators out there who don't go in for any old rubbish about "imprints on the quantum vacuum" the like. Those people are just honestly trying to work out whether there's anything scientific worth studying when it comes to ghosts.

Do you see that establishing the reason for a phenomenon is secondary to establishing that it exists? There's no point in theorising about what ball lightning unless there's at least some evidence that ball lightning exists. (Of course, sometimes theoretical work might predict the existence of ball lightning, in which case the next step is to go out and look for it. But we're not in that situation when it comes to ghosts, are we?)

We know consciousness exists, and we can investigate it scientifically. We know something about it. There's still a lot we don't know about how it works, exactly. But everybody agrees it is a real phenomenon (obviously). Ghosts are a whole different thing. With ghosts, we don't even have agreement that there's anything to study. (Having said that, there is an interesting study in human psychology and sociology, which focuses on the study of why some people believe in ghosts, etc.)

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Good points birch. It's like the early stages of every field of research until we aquire more facts and test theories. I'm sure creationists were the same way when Darwin published his theory of natural selection. "But..but..how do the traits get propagated? By magic? Are they imprinted in the flesh of the creature? How? What makes the imprints change over time? This is all just bullshit! ETC..."

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

birch:

I agree with you.

It's fine to speculate, but if you're going to speculate about the quantum vacuum, for example, don't you think it would be a good idea to first learn something about what the quantum vacuum is? Speculation isn't just a matter of throwing fancy words around and imagining stuff. You have to start with a level of knowledge, and connect your speculations to the real world. Otherwise, what you're doing is not speculating, but fantasising.

It is important that you understand that I'm not accusing people of lying, necessarily. I have not said that I believe that everybody who claims to have seen a ghost is a liar. Some of them undoubtedly are (and in some cases that has been proven). Some are honest but mistaken. Some are actually delusional.

It comes back to this: extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Ghosts don't "fit" with everything else we know about our world. They are claimed to have features and abilities that make no sense in the light of what we know about the natural world. It is, of course, claimed that ghosts are supernatural - they literally operate without the constraints of natural laws (laws of physics, for example).

If ghosts are real, then we need to radically revise our understanding of how the universe operates. The problem is, there's no compelling reason to believe that ghosts actually exist. The extraordinary evidence for this extraordinary thing just doesn't seem to be there. Instead, we have a whole lot of fuzzy (and often faked) photographs, plus some bad audio and video recordings (the best of which also usually turn out to be fakes), plus some tall stories told by various people who were usually on their own when they say they saw a ghost.

There are plenty of stories in science where people came up with crazy ideas that turned out to be right. For example, the idea that all the continents drift around over millions of years, splitting apart and coming together and colliding and moving away again. Sounds like nonsense, and most people didn't believe it for a long time. It was an extraordinary idea, and the evidence just wasn't there. But then, a funny thing happened. People started to compare rocks from Antarctica and Australia, and - hey! - they were the same. And what else is this that we found in Antarctic rocks? Plant fossils? So, Antarctica wasn't always an icy wasteland. And look! Certain animals from Africa are similar to certain animals from South America - too similar unless there was some contact in the past between those groups of animals. And so it went, until after a while the various lines of evidence from lots of different fields of science all turned out to be best explained by the theory of continental drift. So now that's part of accepted science. Extraordinary evidence (lots of it!) showed that the extraordinary claim was actually true.

Could this kind of thing happen with ghosts? Yes, it could, in principle. But as things stand we have no extraordinary evidence for ghosts - just a collection of claimed evidence that can be more plausibly be explained by other ideas (e.g. that people's perceptions aren't always accurate, that some people are fakers, etc.)

I think the idea of ghosts being "residual imprints" on something is putting the cart before the horse. Before we need to explain what a ghost could be, we need to establish that there are actually ghosts out there.

Or maybe the "residual imprint" theory predicts ghosts. But in that case, what else, other than a ghost, can leave a "residual imprint" on a place? Can a normal person do it? How can we reliably detect these imprints? What form do they take? How are they imprinted? We need more than a vague buzzword to make this into anything approaching a useful hypothesis.

15. Bells Staff Member

Or we can let science explain it with research.

Ghostly apparitions and hauntings have pervaded folklore and legend for thousands of years, but now scientists have shown that they are just a figment of the imagination.

Artificial ‘spectres’ were conjured up by an experiment which proved so disconcerting for participants that two begged for it to stop.

Scientists have long suspected that ghosts are an illusion created by the mind. Patients who suffer from neurological or psychiatric conditions often report ‘strange presences.’

And people experiencing extreme physical or emotional pain often claim to have seen ghostly outlines or felt that departed loved ones were back in the room with them.

Now, however, scientists in Switzerland have shown that ghosts are probably just an illusion created by the mind when it momentarily loses track of the body’s location because of illness, exertion or stress.

Volunteers took part in an experiment which mixed up their movements and brain signals.

They saw up to four phantoms positioned around them and believed that ghosts were touching their backs with invisible fingers.

Professor Olaf Blanke, from the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland, said: "Our experiment induced the sensation of a foreign presence in the laboratory for the first time.

“It shows that it can arise under normal conditions, simply through conflicting sensory-motor signals.

"This confirms that it is caused by an altered perception of their own bodies in the brain."

To manifest their ghosts, the scientists set up a robot device that allowed volunteers to control the movements of a jointed mechanical arm with their index fingers.

The movements were relayed to another robot arm behind them which touched their backs.

When both the finger-pushing and back-touching occurred at the same time, it created the illusion that the volunteers were caressing their own backs.

That felt weird enough to the blindfolded participants. But something a lot stranger happened when the back-touching was delayed and about 500 milliseconds out of sync with the finger movements.

Suddenly the volunteers felt as if they were being watched, and touched, by one or more ghostly presences.

At the same time, they had the disconcerting sensation of drifting backwards, towards the unseen hand.

When questioned, several reported a strong feeling of invisible people being close to them. On average, they counted two, with up to four being reported.

Two of the 12 healthy participants were so disturbed by the experience that they asked the scientists to halt the experiment.

Co-author Dr Giulio Rognini, also from the EPFL, said: "Our brain possesses several representations of our body in space.

“Under normal conditions, it is able to assemble a unified self-perception of the self from these representations.

“But when the system malfunctions because of disease - or, in this case, a robot - this can sometimes create a second representation of one's own body, which is no longer perceived as 'me' but as someone else, a 'presence'."

The experiment suggests that "feelings of presence" (FOPs), often interpreted as spirits, angels or demons, are really all in the mind, say the researchers.

Such experiences are frequently reported by people in extreme physical or emotional situations, such as mountaineers and explorers, or those grieving for a lost loved one.

They are also associated with medical conditions that affect the brain, including epilepsy, stroke, migraine and cancer.

And the kicker..

Before conducting the experiment, the researchers carried out brain scans of 12 patients with neurological disorders who had encountered FOPs in the past.

They identified disturbances in three specific brain regions, the insular cortex, parietal-frontal cortex, and temporo-parietal cortex. All were involved in self-awareness, movement, and sense of position in space.

The research was published in the journal Current Biology.

In other words, it's all in your head.

ajanta, James R and origin like this.
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Creationists haven't changed since Darwin published his theory. They are still stuck back in the 1860s.

What's interesting is how scientists reacted to Darwin, as well as what Darwin did. For a start, Darwin has no idea about how traits got propagated - that wouldn't be known until the mid 20th century. So Darwin didn't set out to "theorise" about how traits were propagated, or to attempt a bullshit explanation that he made up on the spot. Instead, he just carefully set out to show that evolution occurs. And he did that in a way that was irrefutable. Most scientists immediately accepted Darwin's ideas. How could they not, when his evidences for evolution were so convincing? It was clear that more work was needed - for example to find the elusive mechanism by which traits are inherited. But step one had been achieved - showing that there was a valid phenomenon to be investigated: evolution by natural selection.

Ghost hunters haven't got to step 1 yet. They haven't managed to convince scientists that ghosts are real.

origin likes this.
  17. birch Valued Senior Member

But no one is considering the communicative and context of apparitions in space-time when there is no other way. Such as a man averted death on a winding highway by seeing his deceased father pass in an old car which forced him to slow down as he had to ponder in bewilderment as there was an overturned semi around the bend. Or a firefighter saved when he saw an apparition point the way out and crawled to safety when he had resigned to death at that point. There is a lot of unexplained phenomena and the funny part is you can deny it or say its 'all in your head' or impossible but it doesnt stop amazing extraordinary unexplainable events occuring to people, good or bad, just the same. Keep with your narrow point of view. It does not stop or hinder 'reality' (yes, currently unexplainable reality) because it doesnt fit your one-path, narrow, pre-set logic. Lmao.

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

James, this is one of the funniest posts I have read on this forum since I joined.

I salute you!

James R likes this.
  19. birch Valued Senior Member

In the case of the firefighter, when they checked the pillar that the apparition was first seen, it was unexplainably cooler than the surroundings obviously due to the fire. How could anyone offer proof or explain such an occurrence? It was just extraordinary.

I suppose some of you in the same situation with an apparition pointing the way out, would just debate the issue in your head. No, that is not real, i am just hallucinating. So therefore, i will ignore as its all in my head etc. Because the logic in my head is so much more important, knows all and has total understanding of the universe. Even if you did just took its direction stuck between a rock and a hard place, you would conclude coincidence. Very convenient.

20. birch Valued Senior Member

Even if the mind somehow was responsible for creating apparitions, it hints at its extraordinary creative potential to benefit or harm.

Also, recreating an event in a lab with zero context does not take into account the reasons it may occur in certain situations. Arsenic and sugar look alike but they are not the same. The conclusions only point to a narrow scenario, not to all its potential reasons it may occur or the mind/subconscious may even create to solve a dilemma. Its amazing what we are also capable of under pressure, isnt it? In other cases, may have no purpose but a reaction to stress or just mental refuse or aberration, good or ill.

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Anyone trained in the principles of science will rely on observations that can be shown to be objective, by virtue of them being reproducible.

There is a host of alleged phenomena for which no one has ever managed to come forward with reproducible evidence: ghosts are one class of such phenomena. While one cannot definitively prove there is nothing to them, (a) the failure of investigations to reveal any objective evidence for them and (b), the existence of so many classes of illusion, delusion, myth, superstition, fairytale and outright deception in human belief suggest - at least to the scientifically inclined - that there is not likely to be anything real about ghosts either.

But, people being people, this will not stop many from believing in them, if they find the idea appealing.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'd say most of what happens to people everyday cannot be proven with reproducible evidence. Does this mean it doesn't happen? Your assumption is that science has to reproduce a phenomena to accept its reality. And yet we have black holes, and earthquakes, and tsunamis, and F5 tornadoes, and dark matter, and gravity, and the Big Bang, and all sorts of phenomena what occur that cannot be reproduced in a lab. Paranormal activity appears to be of that same elusive nature. To understand it, you have to go to haunted locations at night and explore and set up equipment that can detect such anomalies. Oftentimes nothing happens. But in the instances it does, it makes it totally worth it.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ghost hunters by the thousands have proven the existence of the paranormal for decades now. Anecdotal accounts confirm that evidence further. Your continuous denial of this fact only exposes your ignorance of all this evidence. BTW, I gave you 7 compelling cases of paranormal contact in the other thread you said were going to look at. What happened? Something conveniently come up instead?