why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's no difference. You just swapped one faith for another.

Sounds like you missed the central message of the skeptics movement and instead went in for a cult of personality.

All you had to do was convenient forget anything you'd picked up from the skeptics about critical thinking and the importance of evidence, then it was a cinch. You'd found a new faith to replace your lost faith in religion.

It's not an unusual path for people who lose their religion and consequently feel lost. They search around for a different kind of faith to stand in for the faith that they became disillusioned with. Looks like you found your new faith in the woo.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..I swapped a faithbased worldview for an evidence based experience of reality. Which is also why I gave up skepticism, another faithbased worldview.

I learned how their much lauded critical thinking was actually a pretext for confirmation bias. The skeptics were merely defending their belief system much as the religious do. I needed more than that. I needed an approach to reality that acknowledged its inherent mystery while honoring the authority of direct experience.

Skepticism is simply the other end of the belief spectrum from religion. It dismisses evidence for an unwarranted faith in scientism as the arbiter of what is real. But I was burned out on that sort of unconditional believing. Instead I looked at the evidence alone, and found myself evolving an approach to reality that is both realistic and relevant.

That faith substitute for me was skepticism and scientism, which is what you use as your precious religion. I dispensed with the need for faith and belief altogther. Now I just let reality be itself without having to know what it's all about. I dwell in the mystery of it, and recognize the limitations of my own mind to grasp it all.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

Oh look! You posted something moderately interesting. Watch out, or it might become a habit!

That statement is belied by your puppy-like enthusiasm to believe all the kinds of woo you believe with no concern at all about the evidence.

The only faith involved in skepticism is a faith that the world is comprehensible by the application of reason. No doubt somebody like Yazata would be interested to jump in and give that assumption a good shake, but I don't really think you're equipped.

You must find it remarkable that the skeptics brought the idea of confirmation bias to popular attention, then. So hypocritical of them (us) to advise others to be on their guard against it, while simultaneously falling hook-line-and-sinker for it themselves. If you're right, that is.

Your assumption that mystery (read supernaturalism) is inherent is just that. It is not evidence-based. As for the authority of direct experience, the skeptics have devoted a lot of time and energy to investigating, specifically, just how far this supposed "authority" can be trusted. Turns out, not very far at all. This is, of course, all backed by the kind of evidence that you claim matters so much to you.

Ah, yes, the old "skepticism = scientism" canard, characteristically trotted out by those who understand neither skepticism nor science.

As it happens, I'm not a big fan of scientism. Your claiming that it is some kind of religion of mine just shows how little you understand my approach to these matters. Maybe you ought to read some more of my posts, in the adult subforums outside Ghosts and Monsters.

Like I said, your claim is belied by your posts, most of which show absolutely blind faith and credulous, unthinking belief in all kinds of myths.

I can appreciate the attraction of the "mystery". For some people, the real world is not mysterious enough. There have to be fairies in it as well for them to be satisfied. Mostly, I find that those people underestimate the extent of our ignorance. It's one reason why they imagine that scientists and skeptics are know-it-all stuck-up smart-arses.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Thought bubble

How many in this thread post stuff about ghost?

How many dismiss stuff posted about ghost?

How many keep posting stuff about ghost?

Last question - why?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's kind of anthropomorphic isn't it? I mean to expect reality to bend it's laws and phenomena to the reasoning of humans, a reasoning it turns out it is laden with all sorts of self-serving assumptions about what is possible and what exists and what doesn't. The sort of reasoning the skeptic wishes to pass off as some absolute arbiter of what is real, based on plausibility instead of evidence, such that his worldview of a rational and predictable world is preserved and defended. Hence the dogmatic certainty of such assumptions as "no ufos" and "no ghosts" and "no esp" even in the face of compelling evidence, and the endless project of debunking every experience of these phenomena as merely mundane accidents or fakery. That's the dogmatic belief system of the skeptic, which assumes in every case what it wants to conclude. Reason over evidence, only in this case a kind of biased reasoning that upholds their faith that mysterious phenomena just don't exist and indeed never will.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This is really bad.
    Ghosthunting shows on TV are pretty much at the bottom of the credibility scale.

They are not documentaries - they are "Reality TV"*, and they are as reliable as Chad's sincere season-closer marriage proposal to Stacy**.

*Reality TV is an oxymoron
    **made up names

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

They're just people spending all night at haunted locations with cameras and EMF detectors. There's really nothing non-credible about it.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. It's a TV show, first and foremost.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's a televised real situation. That's why it's called reality TV. Nothing fake about it.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yup, right up there with Big Brother and 90-Day Fiance.

Allow me to qualify.

If you consider Ghosthunter TV shows to be a credible source of evidence for ghosts, you are welcome to.

The rest of us are painfully aware of just how processed reality TV is. It is not merely the worst possible source of evidence - it is actually misrepresentational. It would more harm than good, were
    anyone to take it as more than just fluffy entertainment.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I've probably watched hundreds of episodes of these shows. Never in their history of running has anyone come forward in the media declaring any of them to be fake. That's just a hard fact. The evidence is thus reliable and quite extraordinary. But alas, never quite enough for the whining skeptics.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The same can be said about Big Brother and 90-Day Fiance. And Wrestling for that matter.

Why would anyone complain about them being fake? No one thinks they're real.

Again, you are welcome to consider them reliable for your purposes. But no one seriously interested in exploring ghost activity is going to take a TV show - a second-hand - and highly-processed account - as anything other than entertainment.

So, believe in it as you want - it's just not acceptable material, here.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Right...that'd be the definition of fake.

On the contrary. Millions of regular viewers take the investigations as real and unfaked. That's how they remain on the air over the years. By being authentic and undeceiving. I don't care that you don't believe in them. I've seen enough of them to know they're the real deal. Skeptics just don't want to believe in them because their evidence is so good.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Good. We agree.

If no one thinks they shows are real, that certainly explains why no one has ever complained. I doubt Wrestling and 90-day fiance get such complaints either.

You actually do not know that.

So has Wrestling and 90 Day Fiance.

And National Enquirer has built quite an empire on making stuff up. It's entertainment.

All of them have millions of fans.

OK. And that's fine.

It's only a problem when you bring this stuff here, and are surprised that we have a higher bar for credibility. It simply does not qualify.

And it sure doesn't help with your credibility...

You are forearmed, knowing what you're walking (what you have walked into) here.

One does have to wonder why you don't take this to where the bar is set much, much lower.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Neither do sporting events, game shows, or the evening news.

Strawman since I've never posted this stuff here before.

Expecting credibility from skeptics is like expecting drug addicts to give you their drugs. I have no expectations in this area whatsoever. That's why I just post the evidence, so that my personal credibility doesn't become an issue.

Why preach to the choir? I prefer informing the ignorant.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

So you are little different than people who show up at your door to tell you how to enter the Kingdom of Jesus.

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No - it means they really are ON TV

Not that the stuff they broadcast is real

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not seen many, but I seem to recall those I have seen, the presenters coach their words carefully to indicate words to the effect "the views expressed are for entertainment purposes and may not represent the views of the network"

declaring any of them to be fake

They also do not comment anything about "we have indepentently verified claims made in the program"

DaveC426913 likes this.
  22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ooooooo

Right up there with Hilary and deplorables

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Recreation anyone?