why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And how do you suggest I deal with it?....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Take your word for it? Why should I care at all regardless of the nature of care?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You're posting in a ghost thread. You obviously have something at stake here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I love ghost stories, but then I like a lot of different kinds of fiction.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No...there's more to it than that. You're concerned about ghosts existing, which ties into your particular life journey at this point.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Isn't that interesting. A theist tells me I believe in God , but I just don't know it (yet).
    Now I have a ghost-believer who tells me I believe in ghosts, but I just don't know it (yet).

Good Lord..

, what else do I believe but just don't know it (yet)?
    How many more idiots are going to try and shape my life and knowledge?

mag·i·cal, adjective.
    1. beautiful or delightful in such a way as to seem removed from everyday life.
      "it was a magical evening of pure nostalgia"

antonyms: dull, boring
    Delightful in its very fantasy, versus dull and boring like plain old reality.
    Must you invent something magical to make life interesting?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I didn't say you believe in ghosts. But there's a reason ghosts interests you. That much is obvious.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And I told you. I like fantasy fiction, I like science fiction also, I like most all fiction except cheap slasher themes, they remind me of the bad side of reality.

I have a great many interests, some of them because others believe they are true. I am a humanist, but also a true realist.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..it's not just that it's fiction. You have an interest in trying to refute the experiences of others. It's kind of weird. It's as if you are trying to validate yourself somehow to people you look down on.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You don't believe these issues of "belief without evidence" should be examined and discussed or even debated?

When someone tells me why I need a ghost in my life, I have the right to demand an explanation and if that explanation is not good enough for me, I have a right to oppose the view that I do need it.

In the mean time an honest debate usually tends to clear up some "misunderstandings" about reality. After all SF is not a propaganda site. It is a discussion forum on a range of issues.

Do you have any problem with that? Do tell me what your stake is in this? Are trying to convert everyone?
    Perhaps that will validate your perspective somehow? Confirmation bias?

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm just telling people about the experiences people have. It's you that is being all defensive. As if this is some malicious assault upon your worldview. Why can't you just relax and just say, "That's interesting.?"

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I did. I am also interested in science fiction. You are the one insisting that occasional anecdotal accounts of unusual occurrences by lay persons have important scientific implications.

I believe that I have provided more information on the subject than you have. I could be wrong.
    Does that bother you?

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I haven't even mentioned science. What does that have to do with what people experience?

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Once you really understand the real causes, the scientific knowledge of unusual natural phenomena humans experience becomes all the more interesting, IMO.

Nature is "magical" in its own natural way. Why do people believe in unnatural ghosts, but refuse to learn something about real science? That's what puzzles me.

Why do people read the bible and not a great book about astronomy? The number of pages are about the same. But then people seldom read the whole bible, even then.
    It's just "lazy" thinking.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't see what a person's paranormal experience has to do with either science or the Bible. It's just reality being reality. There's no need to consult someone else on the matter,

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Does extracting sense from the mind coupled with a fee from the wallet count?

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Like I said: no one more than me wants to see a ghost.
    Meet me at the lab and show me one.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You just won't learn will you? Your reality may not be my reality at all. To begin with, reality to each of us is from a uniquely relative perspective, which is why we do not need ghosts.

Your mind only ever makes best guesses as to what you perceive with your senses.
    Only if your best guess agrees with others can you be reasonably sure you are indeed witnessing reality. Unless we consult with someone else, we cannot trust our senses.

Do view the Anil Seth lecture. If you are really interested in Mysticism and Magic (Alexandra David-Neel), you will begin to understand how our brain works and how easily it can be fooled.

Your brain sits in a totally dark place, it cannot hear, see, taste, or feel anything. All it does is process sensory electro-chemical information to the best of its ability, which in turn depends on your knowledge (education) of the real world for comparison. As Seth observes, we mentally create our reality as much as external reality actually informs us through our senses.

This whole thing can come apart very easily and persistently and you may never even know it.

Insanity consists of "uncontrolled" mental hallucinations, sanity consists of "controlled" mental hallucinations.

Do watch the Anil Seth clip, please.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Bullshit. We trust our senses everyday all day long. We drive with our senses, We scan the internet with our senses. We work at our jobs with our senses. At no point do I have to consult anybody about what I am seeing right in front of me. And that goes for paranormal experiences too. People who doubt their senses belong in psych wards,

Nope..my reality isn't coming apart. And neither is most people's.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You have that backwards. The guy who looks in the mirror and sees Napoleon is the one in the psyche ward.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's not a sensory issue. It's a delusional issue.