why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wrong. We already know paranormal phenomena is real. Not everyone is as ignorant of the phenomenon as you are. Thousands accounts of it from all over the world. Hundreds of investigations proving it. So when the activity matches what we know about the paranormal, we conclude paranormal. Got it?

Don't tell me what to do. I'll post whatever words I choose to post here. And don't insult me either. That's called trolling.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

No, people might want paranormal phenomena to be real, but that doesn't make it so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..when you live in a haunted location or have to work there, you do not "want" paranormal phenomena to be real. It's stressful and uncomfortable and not welcome by anyone. Unfortunately not wanting the paranormal to not be real doesn't make it unreal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Fallacy of foregone conclusion.
    We have thousands of accounts of unexplained phenomena. They have not actually been explained yet. Saying "they're paranormal" is not an explanation.

We have no hard evidence of communication from lifeless corpses (for example, it cannot be repeatably demonstrated under controlled conditions by independent parties).
    We have no model of how it might work.
    Same things are true of the requirements underlying the idea of ghosts: such as life after death, wherever that place might exist, etc.

What you have there is an hypothesis that these phenomena are due to ghosts. There is as-yet no evidence of what ghosts are, the mechanism by which they operate, or how lifeless corpses can get up and move around transparently i.e. how ghosts actually explain the accounts.

This means the hypothesis, whether logical to you or not, is baseless. It is not based on any model or mechanism.

Magic is as equally plausible an explanation as ghosts.
    So is God.
    Why do you dismiss these hypotheses so quickly?

Indeed, and apparently without a hint of remorse for their pain.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wrong. The evidence for the paranormal is compelling and abundant. Only people ignorant of it would think otherwise.

You don't speak for anyone's pain but your own. Why don't you take up meditation? It's great for soothing stress.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Read first, then respond.
    Paranormal is not an explanation; it is a categorization (by process of elimination, no less).
    It does not explain the phenomena.

Magic and God neatly fit into that category too and posit a mechanism equally as plausible.

10. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, this magical evidence that would like, totally confirm the existence of ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, and everything else - if only those mean old scientists would stop being mean and accept all the blurry photos and videos and anecdotes.

But we know they wont because they're scared of being ostracized from the rest of science and wont be allowed to play with the other scientists anymore instead of what would actually happen - winning all of the Nobel prizes and being world famous until the end of time.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And I'll continue to save those poor words from painful torture.

I am not calling you inept. I have called the attempted use of the term logic inept.

If one is going to explicitly insist that something is "logic 101", it behooves one to not commit a basic logical fallacy.

You're ept. So don't.

There. It's a compliment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So tell us..How many paranormal investigations have you observed?

And like I said...Don't insult me. Are we clear?

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Safe to say you're abandoning the 'logic' argument then.
    Good, that's what I set out to do.

To recap:

• no explanation exists for all the unexplained phenom you've posted, it is simply a general categorization of 'paranormal' (which is simply a categorization by process of elimination).
    • you have no mechanism or model by which these ghosts operate - it is merely an hypothesis
    • your evidence of compelling explanations is tautological: it is only true if it's true.
    • you arbitrarily choose one explanation over several others with equal plausibility

We are not. I have not insulted you. I have dismantled your argument, which was poorly constructed.

I get to do that. You don't get to claim to be personally insulted for having a poorly-constructed argument dismantled.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not arbitrarily...

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Do you mean that 'ghosts' is a more/less compelling explanation than 'magic' or 'God'?
    Or do you mean MR is biased in his selection?

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Of course it isn't. When there is no explanation, there is no explanation. Don't make up some fairy-dust nonsense and call it an "explanation".

Along with creationism, alchemy, etc. Science rejects "fields" that have no basis in reality.

No. Saying you can't explain it is an invitation to further research. Concluding prematurely that it's "spirits" is just falling back on religion.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Funny how you completely sidestep the fact that the evidence is overwhelming for this phenomena. Is that why you won't talk about how many investigations you've observed? Because it would expose your complete ignorance in a field of research you pretend to logically argue out of existence? Why don't you do some research on this? Isn't that the scientific way? Explore a field before pontificating about what it is or isn't? Here's a website with over 16,000 first hand accounts of paranormal activity. Start there:

http://www.yourghoststories.com/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No one is making up anything. The phenomenon shows typical characteristics over hundreds of investigations and thousands of accounts. It is a totally legit explanation and should be included at all times.

Science rejects fields it can't get funding for.

As I've already said several times, the mundane is ruled out as a matter of habit and good science. When no other explanations fit, then the paranormal is used. And when the facts fit what we know about how the paranormal typically manifests, then that's the explanation. Only a moron would be content with "unexplained". Or else a scientist more concerned with funding than with the truth.

19. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

And only the gullible would be content with "ghost".

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Of course you are. You're making up "spirits".

It can't get funding for fields that have no basis in reality.

Nobody is "content" with unexplained. As I said - and you quoted - unexplained is an invitation to further research. We look for explanations to the unexplained. But it is fundamentally dishonest to pretend you have an explanation when all you have is a para-explanation.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I didn't make up spirits. That concept has been around for a long time, even before the birth of civilization.

Reality defined for science as economic profitability.

When the facts match what we know about this phenomenon, it becomes the most logical explanation. That's just basic science.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

DaveC426913:

The latter. MR goes into these things with a pre-formed conclusion already in mind.

Magical Realist:

Hmm... well, yes. Funding of scientific research is a competitive process, because there are always more research proposals than available money to fund them. So, what happens is that the best research proposals get funded, while the weakest proposals do not.

Paranormal research attracted quite a bit of funding back in the 1970s, as it happens. A number of prestigious universities ran labs investigating things like ESP. It turned out that a lot of the research produced was sub-standard for various reasons. In many cases, the experimenters themselves turned out to be hopelessly biased, with some even falsifying their results. In other cases, there was exceptionally poor experimental control, so that there were extensive opportunities for fraud on the part of the experimental subjects themselves. And the research with the best controls never produced any persuasive results that supported the existence of any of the phenomena under investigation.

Science has learned its lesson from the "golden era" of paranormal research. Funding for this kind of thing these days is more tightly controlled, so that only the best research will qualify.

There is always some tension between scientists, who tend to want to do "pure" science, and governments (who are the majority funders of scientific research) who want economic outcomes from scientific research. Experience shows, however, that in the long term the greatest economic benefits flow from "pure" research, whose long-term benefits are often not apparent from the start.